Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

The Missing 1k Problem And My Solution - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Missing 1k Problem And My Solution (2011 Views)

Check Up The Missing Number / "We Killed The Missing UNIOSUN Student" - Cleric & 2 Other / JAMB Admission Letter Problem And The Way Out For 2016/2017 Admission Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Missing 1k Problem And My Solution by originalKsp(m): 7:15am On Jun 15, 2017
The following question and alot of it variants are popular. I decided to share my solution with you:

Question: I needed a laptop, i borrowed 50k from my mum and then 50k from my
dad.

The laptop was sold for me at the cost of 97k, i gave my mum 1k nd my dad 1k i hold back 1k, now am now owing my mum-49k and my dad -49k +the 1k which i kept back =99k. My question is where is the missing 1k?

My explanation:
Actually, no money is missing. Let me explain as much as I can;

This was how the money you borrowed was spent:
97k for laptop + 1k returned to dad + 1k returned to mum + 1k kept = 100k...can you see that no money was lost?

The "missing" 1k arose from the fact that you were making your calculation based on the balance INDEPENDENTLY remaining for you to pay to your parents which is not an actual break down of the 100k you spent. Let me explain my point with an analogy:

Suppose you borrowed 100eggs from your parents and you give 10 away, the REMAINING= 90

Suppose you give another 80 away, the REMAINING = 10

Suppose you give another 8 away, the REMAINING = 2

Suppose you give another 2 away, the REMAINING = 0

Now let us calculate the total eggs in our " "REMAINING" parts above:

90eggs + 10eggs + 2eggs + 0eggs = 102eggs...where did the extra 2eggs come from...from...Nowhere! There is no "extra 2". We calculated the remaining eggs after given out some eggs, this remaining eggs cannot(may not) add up to the total eggs we have becaue they are not the breakdown of the number of eggs we had initially.

Back to your question: the "missing 1k" arose from the fact that you added the remaing money to pay your parent instead of the actually breakdown of how the money was spent.

Awesome Math.

source: http://samimath.com/missing-1k-problem-solution/

What do u think?

lalasticlala, olawalebabs , Fynestboi , Richiez

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oau Post Utme Result 2017/2018 Is Out- See How To Check Oau PostUtme Result Here / Jamb CAPS Different Drama Meme / Mock Jamb 2019: Weekly Timetable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.