Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Obong Okon Ita Clan - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obong Okon Ita Clan (1986 Views)

Delete / delete / delete (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obong Okon Ita Clan by AtaniWarrior: 11:18pm On Jun 15, 2017
Obong Okon Ita was the Ibibio clan that occupied the present day Arochukwu area before the arrival of Igbo and Akpa-Ekoi settlers. Obot Okon Ita (present day Obinkita village) was the seat of government of the Obong Okon Ita clan.

What is the meaning of the name Obong Okon Ita?

What is the meaning of the name Obot Okon Ita?

1 Like

Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by AtaniWarrior: 8:35pm On Jun 19, 2017
Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by AtaniWarrior: 9:46pm On Jan 23, 2021
I would like to verify if:

Obong means ruler?

Obot means Nature?

Okon means night?

Ita means three?

1 Like

Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by nsiba: 9:13am On Jan 24, 2021
AtaniWarrior:
Obong Okon Ita was the Ibibio clan that occupied the present day Arochukwu area before the arrival of Igbo and Akpa-Ekoi settlers. Obot Okon Ita (present day Obinkita village) was the seat of government of the Obong Okon Ita clan.

What is the meaning of the name Obong Okon Ita?

What is the meaning of the name Obot Okon Ita?

Obong Okon Ita isn't a clan but the Chief of the Ibibio tribe in Ibom present day Arrochukwu and environs.
Was betrayed by his half brother, slaves and settlers.
Obong means Chief
Obot can be said to a hill, rock mountain

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by AtaniWarrior: 10:49pm On Jan 25, 2021
nsiba:

Obong Okon Ita isn't a clan but the Chief of the Ibibio tribe in Ibom present day Arrochukwu and environs.
Obong means Chief
Thank you for the information.
Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by RedboneSmith(m): 9:21am On Jan 26, 2021
Is it possible that instead of Obong Okon Ita, the place was called Obio Okon Ita?

1 Like

Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by AtaniWarrior: 5:49pm On Jan 26, 2021
RedboneSmith:
Is it possible that instead of Obong Okon Ita, the place was called Obio Okon Ita?
Good question. That makes sense too. I was also thinking about the possibility of Ibom being the original name of the Ibibio-Efik clan that lived in the entire area known as present day Arochukwu. The present day Ibom village in Arochukwu might have kept the name of the indigenous clan.

I’m not sure. Unfortunately, we will never know because of the lack of written records. We can make very educated guesses though lol

1 Like

Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by AtaniWarrior: 5:53pm On Jan 26, 2021
I initially thought that the name of the Ibibio clan was Obong Okon Ita because of this article:

https://www.aronewsonline.com/?p=651
Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by RedboneSmith(m): 6:58pm On Jan 26, 2021
AtaniWarrior:

Good question. That makes sense too. I was also thinking about the possibility of Ibom being the original name of the Ibibio-Efik clan that lived in the entire area known as present day Arochukwu. The present day Ibom village in Arochukwu might have kept the name of the indigenous clan.

I’m not sure. Unfortunately, we will never know because of the lack of written records. We can make very educated guesses though lol

The reason I thought obio is because I was told obio means town in Ibibio. And "the town of Okon Ita" makes more sense to me than "Chief Okon Ita" as the name of a settlement. Plus Obio Okon Ita looks closer to Obinkita than Obong Okon Ita.

You're probably right on the Ibom thing. You have any idea what the word means in Ibibio? Ubom means beach in Igbo. Wonder if the word is related to Ibom.
Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by RedboneSmith(m): 7:03pm On Jan 26, 2021
AtaniWarrior:
I initially thought that the name of the Ibibio clan was Obong Okon Ita because of this article:

https://www.aronewsonline.com/?p=651

Yes, that's the name in practically all the literature. I just think it's an odd name for a town. Kind of like an Igbo village answering Eze Ndubuisi instead of Ụmụ Eze Ndubuisi or Ndi Eze Ndubuisi.
Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by AtaniWarrior: 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2021
RedboneSmith:

The reason I thought obio is because I was told obio means town in Ibibio. And "the town of Okon Ita" makes more sense to me than "Chief Okon Ita" as the name of a settlement. Plus Obio Okon Ita looks closer to Obinkita than Obong Okon Ita.

You're probably right on the Ibom thing. You have any idea what the word means in Ibibio? Ubom means beach in Igbo. Wonder if the word is related to Ibom.

Facts. That is true.

I think Ibom means Universe, Earth, or community?

https://www.aziza.com.ng/meaning-of-akwa-ibom/
Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by AtaniWarrior: 7:39pm On Jan 27, 2021
RedboneSmith:

Yes, that's the name in practically all the literature. I just think it's an odd name for a town. Kind of like an Igbo village answering Eze Ndubuisi instead of Ụmụ Eze Ndubuisi or Ndi Eze Ndubuisi.
Yeah I also think that Obong Okon Ita might be a unique name for a community.

I noticed that there is a community in Akwa Ibom State called Obong Ntak. I wonder what is the meaning of the name.

The Aro News Online article and other sources state that the Ibibio-Efik referred to the Arochukwu people (especially Obinkita) as the Inokon. The name Inokon might have been short for Obio Okon Ita or Obong Okon Ita. Perhaps Inokon was the actual name of the indigenous Ibibio clan.

1 Like

Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by wealthtrak: 7:19pm On Mar 15, 2022
nsiba:

Obong means Chief
Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by ekpehay: 4:00am On Sep 14, 2022
Obong Okon Ita simply translates to King okon 3 (Ita means three)
so it could simply mean king Okon (the third)
The kingdom was Ibom Kingdom with it's seat of power at Obot Okon Ita (could roughly be translated as palace of Okon the third)
based on my understanding, i think it was widely referred to as Obot Okon Ita other than Ibom Kingdom...
it is now a town in Arochukwu, Abia state, known as Obinkita, which is a corrupt version of the main name by the Igbos who could pronounce it.
Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by ekpehay: 5:05am On Sep 14, 2022
Obong Okon Ita married an Igbo woman in order to bring peace btw them during the conflict.. she bore a son
the Igbo refers to him as ulu Okon (translate to Okon second child) in Igbo.
After the death of Obong Okon Ita the prince allied with the Igbos along with the Akpa people and rebelled against his brother.
Unfortunately for him, he died before the war ended.
interesting Arochukwum is a multi ethnic society, comprising the Igbos, the Akpa people whom they asked for help and Ibibios ( would had been the soldiers and followers of the rebel prince)
Inokon is a corrupt form of ulu okon by Ibibios, they used that to refer to the Ibibios that were in Obot Okon Ita (now Obinkita) after the conquest and sometimes the Arochukwu as a whole..
they class as Inokon clan.

1 Like

Re: Obong Okon Ita Clan by Nikkitaboy(m): 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2022
ekpehay:
Obong Okon Ita married an Igbo woman in order to bring peace btw them during the conflict.. she bore a son
the Igbo refers to him as ulu Okon (translate to Okon second child) in Igbo.
After the death of Obong Okon Ita the prince allied with the Igbos along with the Akpa people and rebelled against his brother.
Unfortunately for him, he died before the war ended.
interesting Arochukwum is a multi ethnic society, comprising the Igbos, the Akpa people whom they asked for help and Ibibios ( would had been the soldiers and followers of the rebel prince)
Inokon is a corrupt form of ulu okon by Ibibios, they used that to refer to the Ibibios that were in Obot Okon Ita (now Obinkita) after the conquest and sometimes the Arochukwu as a whole..
they class as Inokon clan.

wow
interesting history
so who are the akpa ppl now??

(1) (Reply)

In Akwa Ibom, If U Cheat On ur husband, U Die. If He Dies, U Marry His Relative. / Yoruba Love Igbo More Than Igbo Love Yoruba / Igwe Nnewi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.