Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues (726 Views)

Now N2,500 Per Year Only!!! Get 10GB Large Space, 100GB Bandwidth & More.... / 10GB Huge Space, Unlimited Bandwidth & More With a Free .COM Domain for N3500/yr / Sunnewsonline.com Bandwidth Limit Exceeded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by topsy14: 8:11pm On Jan 24, 2010
Hello folks
i'm currently working on a big project and the owner wants the server to have  atleast 1TB hard drive and over 7TB of traffic(sound crazy right). Have researched most of this hosting companies and i can't even find any that has close to what this lady want, so folks do anybody know which company offer extra bandwidth(traffic) of that magnitude.
Secondly do anybody know how much traffic a
**forum website (like naiaraland) will be consuming monthly
**E -commerce website
**blog
**video site (like onlinenigeria)
Hope to get some positive feedback from you learned guyz. cheers
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by Alireta: 9:43pm On Jan 24, 2010
topsy14,

From the information you provided, what you definitely need for this project is a dedicated server. Still, I must ask, Are you quite certain that you really need hard disk and bandwidth of that magnitude?

About the resource usage of a forum like naiaraland), E -commerce website, blog or a video site,it all depends on the actual traffic and usage figures of each site. You can have a forum that does not need more than 500mb hard disk because it doesn't have so many users. You can have a similar one that requires 2GB.

Each site's particular usage statistics are what determine the requirements.

Feel free to send us an email at impact@alireta.com with regards getting that dedicated server. We can also help you evaluate your needs better.
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by DualCore1: 10:03pm On Jan 24, 2010
Tell her to get that kinda server built and then DHL'd abroad for collocation.
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by topsy14: 5:38am On Jan 25, 2010
@ Alireta 
Mos def we planing to secure a dedicated server.
The reason why she's planing 2 get a server with at least 7TB was that, she currently run a e-commerce website that uses 4-5TB of traffic/ month. Now she's trying to implement some video content and live web help for her clients, so that's why she's planing to get something bigger, but seriously i still want to know and if seun could help me out also that will be great
How much traffic does nairaland uses / month!!!!!!
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by egift(m): 2:50pm On Jan 26, 2010
She as well have one customize for her. And watching video online is you easy too. Do work on compressing the videos, ok. Goodluck.
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by topsy14: 1:25pm On Jan 28, 2010
, but too much compression will not enable better video quality and this lady does not want that. Newayz we still contemplating on going with[b] softLayer Technologies [/b] but i gguess she will have to pay dearly for it, cos those guys @ softLayer Technologies no dey play
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by mbanusick(m): 12:27pm On Jan 29, 2010
Your figures are really much, can you give us the address to her current site so that we can feel it,
I think you should be looking for UNLIMITED bandwidth and DISK SPACE.
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by Alireta: 3:28pm On Jan 29, 2010
@mbanusick: Bad idea. "unlimited diskspace/bandwidth" is a term that allows you to "use all-you-want until you use too much" See What is Unlimited Web Hosting?

A server with the kind of resources that he is looking for is waaaay outside of that scope. His account will be shut down in a matter of days if the above projections he gave are correct.
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by mbanusick(m): 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2010
@Alireta
I thought as much they are really looking 4 too much, thanks 4 your info grin
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by Afam(m): 9:13am On Jan 30, 2010
If the current host is providing up to 4-5TB then getting up to 7TB won't be an issue. Just contact the current host and discuss the extra cost.

And what is this website we are talking about? It should be very popular and well known if it attracts that type of traffic.
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by topsy14: 2:16am On Jan 31, 2010
@afam
the problem with the current host is that, they do not provide up too 7TB, the ones that do provide up to that are charging  exorbitant sums of amount. I would have love to give the address to the website but am not sure if my client will like that(i prefer seeking her permission first)
@Alireta
Unlimited bandwidth do exist, for those that can afford it; how do you think websites like google, youtube,myspace and even facebook are surviving, they pay for traffic also. check out youtube woes, google is loosing mad millions on youtube, but they can afford it, the truth of the matter is sooner or later youtube will seize to exist cos of the rate google is loosing money thru it unless they find a way to turn it's fortune around.
back to my main question how much traffic does a typical forum needs (like nairaland)
a video website (like onlinenigeria.com)
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by DualCore1: 1:36pm On Jan 31, 2010
topsy14:

@afam
the problem with the current host is that, they do not provide up too 7TB, the ones that do provide up to that are charging  exorbitant sums of amount.

The need for 7TB from any host company is in the first place exorbitant so don't get scared by their prices. WYWIWYG (what you want is what you get).

I have dedicated servers with a datacenter who gives unlimited bandwidth. It is however said in their terms that your connection will be capped to 10mbit from 100mbit if you exceed 3TB per month. Each server lease costs about 70 pounds per month (software licenses and tax excluded).
Re: Bandwidth And Hard Disk Issues by DualCore1: 8:45pm On Feb 01, 2010
Talking about SoftLayer
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=922452&highlight=softlayer

They are very serious pipz smiley
Getting a Dedi or a Cloud from them shortly. They quite expensive though.

(1) (Reply)

Learn Hacking Via Email 4 As Low As #1000: Payment Via Recharge Card / My Untimely Leave/retirement From The Website Development World / Site Review (security Analysis) - Gamecdswap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.