Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,151 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible (11842 Views)

The Difference Between Hell, Sheol, Paradise And The Grave. / Condition Of Repentance In Islam / Can Death-bed Repentance Lead A PersonTo Heaven? Many People Are Banking On This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Egenti(m): 12:14pm On Feb 06, 2007
Hi Fellas!

There's an issue that has been bugging me for some time and i think it would be nice to have you all contribute your ideas.
The Holy Bible tells us that there is no repentance in the grave where man is going, how then is it that some christians spend time praying for their departed loved ones. Will such prayers ever be answered? Will a man who refused to repent suddenly be saved, oblivious of all the evil he did, just because he was fortunate tl have some one mutter a few words of prayers on his behalf?
Your response(s) would greatly appreciated.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Pain(m): 5:39pm On Feb 06, 2007
Yes There There Is. To Comfirm Go To The Nearest Garveyard.

Tell Them I Sent You.

Ok? shocked
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by NiteAngel(m): 11:42pm On Feb 06, 2007
Pain will simply add to your headache.

The Church of Later Days Saint (Mormon) and others preach something similar but there aint salvation of the dead according to the BIBLE.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Bobbyaf(m): 6:43am On Feb 07, 2007
Since the bible is true then we have to accept it as such. It says there is no repentance in the grave, and that is exactly true.

Think about it for awhile. Imagine a person living a life that in most part rejected God's call to repent. If that person on his death bed still refused, then do you expect any amount of prayer to change the truth of God's word? No other person save me can choose to repent.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 5:18pm On Feb 13, 2007
Creation is divided into many segments, and the world we are in belongs to the part of creation known as the World of matter, also the so-called beyond, its just that it is of a different nature.The world we can see and feel with our physical senses even with instruments can be regarded to belong to the "world of gross matter", while the so-called beyond is called the "ethereal world", it is not even paradise, paradise is still vey far away from it.
As we are in this world with the physical body, so also the ethereal body is embodied within us and is reffered to as the soul, that is when we leave this physical garment through death.
As we are now any sins we commit is also anchored in th ethereal world, that is why the bible says for their works shall pursue them, wherever they maybe.
As it is in the law of circle, which is the circle must end at the point it began, for it to be complete.So it is only in the "world of matter" both gross and ethereal, that mankind can only commit sins it cant be possible in the animistic realm not in the spiritual realm, so also forgiveness must also come into being only in that region where the sins have been commited, forgiveness can come in the beyond or even here on earth, if it is not possible in the beyond then the soul have to be re-incarnated on earth to make amends.
That is simply why when a man dies he doensnt just go to heaven straight, cos there's no man without a blemish and also not holy, but GOD alone is Holy.So a place is prepared where mankind is being prepared for the spirtual realm.

So my dear friend as forgiveness of sins is possible here on earth so also it is possible in the beyond.But it is much easier on earth than it is over there.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by mekoyo(m): 5:21pm On Feb 13, 2007
No. Its not possible.

The ead is gone and gone forever the next thing is judgement.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 11:27pm On Feb 13, 2007
if you have your own specially prepared private heaven then it is possible.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Eaglebabe: 1:20pm On Dec 01, 2009
If the bible is ur standard,then ,no form of repentance take place in d grave.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 04, 2009
For me there's no difference between repentance and forgiveness of sins. There's no man on earth that passes on without a sin no matter how small. And it has been said that no one will even be able to gain entrance into paradise even with a speck of dirt on their clothings. So tell me, those that make it to paradise where was it that their dirty linens were washed?
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by justcool(m): 11:45pm On Dec 04, 2009
It depends on what you mean by grave. If by "grave" you mean after physical death, then the answer is yes.
Repentance is repentance, it does not matter where it happens. It can happen here on earth or in beyond(hereafter).

Keep in mind that there are two types of death: (1)Physical death -- the death of the physical body, and (2) Spiritual death -- the death of the spirit, the true self.

After spiritual death all hope is lost, and there is no repentance.

True repentance occurs in the spirit. It is the spirit that repents, and not the physical body. This is why there can be no repentance after spiritual death, which is tantamount to the individual's name being erased from the book of life.

@ enitan2002
LOL at your situation with your wife and kids. Your mailman must be very handsome, that's why your kids are good looking. Just out of curiosity, do any of your kids look like me? Just kidding.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by justcool(m): 11:51pm On Dec 04, 2009
enitan2002:

Creation is divided into many segments, and the world we are in belongs to the part of creation known as the World of matter, also the so-called beyond, its just that it is of a different nature.The world we can see and feel with our physical senses even with instruments can be regarded to belong to the "world of gross matter", while the so-called beyond is called the "ethereal world", it is not even paradise, paradise is still vey far away from it.
As we are in this world with the physical body, so also the ethereal body is embodied within us and is reffered to as the soul, that is when we leave this physical garment through death.
As we are now any sins we commit is also anchored in th ethereal world, that is why the bible says for their works shall pursue them, wherever they maybe.
As it is in the law of circle, which is the circle must end at the point it began, for it to be complete.So it is only in the "world of matter" both gross and ethereal, that mankind can only commit sins it cant be possible in the animistic realm not in the spiritual realm, so also forgiveness must also come into being only in that region where the sins have been commited, forgiveness can come in the beyond or even here on earth, if it is not possible in the beyond then the soul have to be re-incarnated on earth to make amends.
That is simply why when a man dies he doensnt just go to heaven straight, cos there's no man without a blemish and also not holy, but GOD alone is Holy.So a place is prepared where mankind is being prepared for the spirtual realm.

So my dear friend as forgiveness of sins is possible here on earth so also it is possible in the beyond.But it is much easier on earth than it is over there.

This is correct
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 6:16am On Dec 05, 2009
justcool:

@ enitan2002
LOL at your situation with your wife and kids. Your mailman must be very handsome, that's why your kids are good looking. Just out of curiosity, do any of your kids look like me? Just kidding.

well, if they should look exactly like you, i'll never know if she cheated on me.

Well, thanks a lot for shedding more light on this topic.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 05, 2009
@poster

You can never be sure.

In 1 pet 3:19,1 pet 4:6

we were told that Jesus during his 3 days in the grave went to preach to the spirits in[b] prison[/b].These are spirits of those who died duiring the flood of the noah's era.

Also we saw in 1 cor 15:29

we saw the apostle Paul talking about the ressurection of the dead.
In 1 tim 1:18 we saw paul praying for a dead man onesiphorous that God may have mercy on him on judgement day.

In the book of 2 macabees 12,that was criminally removed from the protestant canon for reasons best known to them there it was clearly stated that we should peay for the dead so that they can be freed from their sins.

finally 1n 1 John 5:17

There again we were told to pray for those whose sin do not lead to death,

So quite obviously prayersb for the dead has always been part of christian practice even from the first century
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 05, 2009
Prayers being recited for the dead to me has little or no effect at all on the soul of the departed. What counts most is the recognition the soul comes to at the beyond that matters most. Recognition that he is the cause of the predicament he's facing in the beyond and urge to free himself from there. With this he's a step up the ladder of ascent in the beyond, consequently repentance and forgiveness. But, it's easier said than put to practice. Repentance is easier here on earth here than over there in the beyond. Cos in the beyond, you will be in the midst of like minded fellows and it wont be easy to see someone better to emulate. But here on earth where the good and wrong ones live side by side. So, don't wait till you get there before you amend your ways and perhaps there aint much time left. Judgement has begun and the earth is nearing its disintegration state. Awake you men from your slumber.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Marlbron: 1:29pm On Dec 06, 2009
Life does not end with earthly existence. When death occurs, the spirit continues "living". That was why Christ went to the spirit world to preach to them to give them the opportunity to repent. God is afterall fair. We can only assume that since there is free will on earth, there should also be free will in the life beyond although God can hold any spirit in bondage for certain sins. It is a very deep topic for this forum but i hope you understand my drift,
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 06, 2009
Insert Quote
Prayers being recited for the dead
to me
has little or no effect at all on the soul of the departed. What counts most is the recognition the soul comes to at the beyond that matters most. Recognition that he is the cause of the predicament he's facing in the beyond and urge to free himself from there. With this he's a step up the ladder of ascent in the beyond, consequently repentance and forgiveness. But, it's easier said than put to practice. Repentance is easier here on earth here than over there in the beyond. Cos in the beyond, you will be in the midst of like minded fellows and it wont be easy to see someone better to emulate. But here on earth where the good and wrong ones live side by side. So, don't wait till you get there before you amend your ways and perhaps there aint much time left. Judgement has begun and the earth is nearing its disintegration state. Awake you men from your slumber

I think I would rather comply with my bible who asks me to pray for the dead than to listen to what you think.

I must state here that nobody is being encouraged here on earth to sin deliberately with hope that people will pray for them once thre are dead.The Apostle John made it clear in 1 john 5:16-17,that the prayer for the dead only applies to those whoose sins do not lead to death(spiritual).

You better not sin since you can'tguarantee the categories of sins that will lead to death but as long as the prayers for the dead is in the scriptures it must be practised no matter what any body thinks about it.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by kolaoloye(m): 2:57pm On Dec 07, 2009
Capital NO
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Image123(m): 3:23pm On Dec 07, 2009
'cuse me, I don confuse. Where does the Bible say we should 'pray' for the dead?
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Patmokgoko: 10:35am On Jun 01, 2011
There is NOWHERE in the Bible where it is stated that there is no more forgiveness once you die,if such a verse exist it would contradict a lot of verses.So I can confidently tell you that "there is forgiveness of sins beyond the grave
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 01, 2011
God is a God of the living and not of the DEAD.

Luke 16 :26 - 31 : "And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

“The Bible teaches plainly that what we are when we die, whether converted or unconverted, whether believers or unbelievers, whether godly or ungodly, so shall we rise again when the last trumpet sounds. There is no repentance in the grave: there is no conversion after the last breath is drawn. Now is the time to believe in Christ, and to lay hold of eternal life.”

~ J.C. Ryle
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 2:47am On Jun 02, 2011
It is a dangerous thing. Usually those who God allows the rare after-death repentance are the ones he sends back with a message.
Just don't count on it. That is based on God's own descretion.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Johnchike(m): 8:38am On Apr 28, 2012
THE DEAD CAN BE PRAYED FOR...................It depends on the nature of the sins. 1John 5vs17- all wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which does not lead to death.....this sins though forgiven must be atoned for....This where purgatory(to purge the soul) comes in..... We were told in 1peter 4vs6, that the Goodnews is preached to the dead, that it was preached to them so that in their spiritual existence they may live as God lives.......preaching to them for their repentance.....(once again, not all sins).......for reference, check Matthew 12vs32- "but whoever says something against the HolySpirit will not be forgiven either in this world or in the next.....this shows that forgiveness can take place after death but not grievous sins such as the above quoted........St. Paul in the bible, in his epistle stated that BAPTISM CAN BE DONE FOR THE DEAD(1corinthians 15vs29)....surely baptism cleanses us from sin as Jesus told Nicodemus........also this repentance or state of purification(purgatory) is for only those WHO HAVE DIED IN THE STATE OF GRACE but still need to get rid of any lingering imperfection.....as scripture tells us that not a stain or drop of uncleaniless will see God......and that is why Jesus personally decided to preach to the spirits in prison(purgatory)......(1peter 3vs19).............of course, Jesus has the power to forgive sins, and He remembered those dead spirits in prison, and He spiritually went to preach to them....Christ's preaching brings salvation and eternal life and these Spirits in prison would be forgiven and would gain eternal life.(1pet3:19). GOD IS MERCIFUL AND JUST.
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Joagbaje(m): 9:37am On Apr 28, 2012
@ OP
After death, what comes nexti is judgement .

[Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment
:
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by brainpulse: 10:14am On Apr 28, 2012
Joagbaje: @ OP
After death, what comes nexti is judgement .

[Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment
:

Thank you
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2012
Egenti: Hi Fellas!

There's an issue that has been bugging me for some time and i think it would be nice to have you all contribute your ideas.
The Holy Bible tells us that there is no repentance in the grave where man is going, how then is it that some christians spend time praying for their departed loved ones. Will such prayers ever be answered? Will a man who refused to repent suddenly be saved, oblivious of all the evil he did, just because he was fortunate tl have some one mutter a few words of prayers on his behalf?
Your response(s) would greatly appreciated.
even some muslims think they can pray for the dead to get forgiveness in death.

Ans is big no. it is appointed unto man to die once and thereafter judgement.

Repent now whilst still alive
Re: Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible by Johnchike(m): 7:55pm On Apr 28, 2012
The question is are you judged immediately or is there a general date for this judgement? why are the dead being preached to, according to St.Paul and Jesus?

(1) (Reply)

. Muslims: Satan EATS Food With His Left Hand / 13 Delta State Pilgrims Abscond In Israel / We Distributed 74.6 M Bibles In Nigeria In 55 Years – Gideons International

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.