Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card (3713 Views)

Lost Dir Folder / Two Ways To Know An Original SD Card / Memory Card / What Exactly Is The Function Of NCC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by dominzy(m): 3:43pm On Jul 14, 2017
Fire up any file manager on your Android phone and explore your SD card. One folder you are sure to discover is the LOST.DIR . What is the folder for? Its quite evident that there is no application named LOST.DIR installed on your device.
At times the folder's size can range in gigabytes. In such situations one may wonder about the contents of the folder and its use, and whether it is safe to delete the folder to save memory. I found a lot of confusion about the LOST.DIR directory on almost all top android forums so I decided to write this post. This post strives to clear some air.

What is LOST.DIR ?
The Lost.dir is a system folder. Its a place where the Android OS places files that were recovered during a system boot up (ie when you turn on your phone). It is analogous to the 'Recycle Bin' under Windows OS. The files which are stored inside this directory are often recoverable. Most of the times you won't find anything at all in LOST.DIR directory.
What files are stored in LOST.DIR ?
If you were saving files and suddenly the phone turned off, or maybe you pull the SD card out when files were being written to it - the Android system places copies of those files in LOST.DIR directory so it can try and recover them on the next boot (next time the system starts up). The files in the process of copying are also renamed. So if you find wierdely named files in the folder, don't be surprised as they are only renamed versions of erstwhile files present on your device.
Files may end up stored in LOST.DIR folder due to following reasons :
>Abruptly pulling out SD card from Android phone
>Interruptions while downloading files on Android device
>Sudden freezing of Android device operating system
>Switching off the device while some read-write process is carrying on.
How do I recover files from LOST.DIR folder?
In order to stop permanent loss of files from LOST.DIR folder in Android, you have to quickly recover missing files before your Android smartphone memory space is overwritten by some new data. Therefore use of some pertinent LOST.DIR Android recovery tool is recommended. Yodot Android Data Recover, Recuva are a couple of examples which worked for me.
Can I delete the contents of LOST.DIR ?
In order to save precious memory space its completely normal to delete the contents of LOST.DIR as it only acts as a recycle bin. You can also delete the LOST.DIR folder itself but it will reappear the next time the system boots up. When your Android system throws up a message saying 'Preparing external SD card' its actually checking the contents of LOST.DIR, and if it fails to locate the directory, it creates one.

Necessary guidelines :
>Avoid abrupt removal of Android device's memory card while transferring data to/from the system.
>Backup your images or other files to some other device.
>Use authentic android antivirus software to protect yourself from virus-attack

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Caustics: 3:59pm On Jul 14, 2017
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 14, 2017
I use to think its a virus but all the same it ain't bad.
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by leonard002(m): 9:09pm On Jul 14, 2017
I don taya to delete that folder sotey I just leave am there
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by dominzy(m): 10:53pm On Jul 14, 2017
leonard002:
I don taya to delete that folder sotey I just leave am there
it's like a backup for ur lost processes
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by sorextee(m): 12:41am On Jul 15, 2017
Good to know
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Efostick(m): 12:47am On Jul 15, 2017
grin

this should hit fp

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by mikeycharles(m): 1:28am On Jul 15, 2017
Let me just spread my mat here wink
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by adekhingz(m): 6:10am On Jul 15, 2017
oh. really uhmmmm. thanks
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by calabaman(m): 6:15am On Jul 15, 2017
guessed as much.
nice info OP.
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Abdstrakt(m): 6:33am On Jul 15, 2017
Nice info. But OP, seriously mehn your font is an eyesore
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Henrodah(m): 7:03am On Jul 15, 2017
Some apps are missing on my homescreen, buy If I search them dey appear.. How can I get it back on my home screen. Secondly my media lock got deleted, and all my files are missing... Is it possible to get it back? (Phone is gionee maranthon M5). Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Alexbrain(m): 8:49am On Jul 15, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by veekid(m): 9:08am On Jul 15, 2017
Very stubborn folder; I can't remember how many times I've deleted it off my phone. Yet it still drag my mmc wimme
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by gilgal7(f): 10:05am On Jul 15, 2017
I deleted it weekly...i taught it's a virus
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by kdon0000: 6:07pm On Jul 15, 2017
Nice one
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by dominzy(m): 6:42pm On Jul 15, 2017
Henrodah:
Some apps are missing on my homescreen, buy If I search them dey appear.. How can I get it back on my home screen. Secondly my media lock got deleted, and all my files are missing... Is it possible to get it back? (Phone is gionee maranthon M5). Thanks.

if it's not appearing on the home screen as a result of switching off and switching on ur fone or removing ur SD card, u can get the app back on ur home screen by locating it on the menu, long press it and drag to home screen.
if the app is no where to be found even in the menu, then u have to uninstall the app and install it again.
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by dominzy(m): 6:46pm On Jul 15, 2017
Abdstrakt:
Nice info. But OP, seriously mehn your font is an eyesore
no mind me jare
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Henrodah(m): 8:41am On Jul 16, 2017
dominzy:

if it's not appearing on the home screen as a result of switching off and switching on ur fone or removing ur SD card, u can get the app back on ur home screen by locating it on the menu, long press it and drag to home screen.
if the app is no where to be found even in the menu, then u have to uninstall the app and install it again.

Ok bro will try that now. Thanks
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Horlaarsco: 10:17am On Jul 16, 2017
Nice
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by saxby(f): 12:18pm On Jul 16, 2017
Me dey delete my own o
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by dominzy(m): 12:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
saxby:
Me dey delete my own o
there's no harm in deleting it. it will also help u recover enough space
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by Mustack: 12:54pm On Jul 16, 2017
Tanks 4 ur swift enlightinmnt. Nw i knw hw imprtnt it is.
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by SUGARSON(m): 6:34pm On Jul 17, 2017
WOW!!! I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS BEFORE AND I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHAT IT IS.
NICE INFORMATION
Re: See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card by dominzy(m): 11:27pm On Jul 17, 2017

(1) (Reply)

New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS / Best Affordable Smartphones To Use In Nigeria / Grab Free MTN 2GB And 1k Airtime For Valentines Celebrations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.