Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? (1202 Views)

How Many Mega Pixel Does Your Smartphone Really Need? - Misstechy / Does Your Smartphone Really Need A Screen Protector? / How Much RAM Do You Really Need In Android Smart Device? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by giftedben: 3:34pm On Jul 26, 2017
RAM, or random access memory, is a vital hardware component used by your Android Smartphone to store temporary data that can be accessed quickly by software, speeding up processes and keeping you from hitting your Smartphone against the wall in frustration. Essentially, the more RAM you have, the more you can have going on at once.

The amount of RAM you need in your Smartphone depends on what you plan on doing — gaming, for instance, takes a generous amount of RAM, and media editing can take a lot of RAM.

Find out how much RAM you currently have, and how much RAM you should have for specific daily tasks.

Benefits of having more RAM:
Let's get one thing straight: having more RAM in your Smartphone is not a process that will magically make everything faster. It will, however, aid your Smartphones in multitasking and performing heavy duties like gaming and multimedia editing. More RAM doesn't make the Smartphone faster, but it will make it harder for it to lag down.

How much RAM do you really need?
How much RAM you need in your Smartphone depends heavily on what you use your Smartphone for on a day-to-day basis and on how long you intend to keep the Smartphone.
If you're thinking of investing in a completely new Smartphones in the near future, writing things out might be the best bet.

Productivity:
If you use your Android Smartphone for Social networking , checking emails, browsing the internet, and playing Candy crush, you should have no problem using 1GB of RAM. If you are performing all of these activities at once, however, you might experience a dip in performance.
A lot of budget Smartphones come with 1GB of RAM as a base option, but if you plan on keeping your Smartphone for several years, opting for 2GB of RAM is the safer bet, even if you only use it for light duties.

Gaming
We're not talking about Candy Crush — heavy Smartphone gaming at acceptable performance levels requires a substantial amount of RAM. Using a few popular modern titles as references, it is evident that gamers should have at least 2GB of RAM — the recommended minimum amount for Pes2017, Modern Combat and Sky Force Reloaded is 1GB.
If you're a gamer and want to ensure you have enough RAM for some current titles and future titles, go with at least 4GB.

Video and photo editing:
This really depends on your workload. If you're editing a lot of HD video, go for 2GB or more. If you're working with photos and a bit of video thrown in, 1GB should get you through.

How to check your Android Smartphone current amount of RAM:
Depending on the version of Android:
Go to Settings > Applications > Running services.

Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by Lexusgs430: 4:13pm On Jul 26, 2017
I would rather have more RAM than less. I know some GOATS, would say otherwise......

1 Like

Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by nadalion: 7:20pm On Jul 26, 2017
Lexusgs430:
I would rather have more RAM than less. I know some GOATS, would say otherwise......
I sight you bro, do you buy from eBay?
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by dukeo(m): 8:50pm On Jul 26, 2017
I'd appreciate 12gb and above ram for my phone grin

I hate restarting applications
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by Lexusgs430: 9:11pm On Jul 26, 2017
nadalion:
I sight you bro, do you buy from eBay?

I buy from eBay, yes.....
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by nadalion: 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I buy from eBay, yes.....
Ok sent, make we talk abeg.
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by Lexusgs430: 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2017
nadalion:
Ok sent, make we talk abeg.

Get my whatsapp details from my profile.....
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 27, 2017
'what ignorance is using to harm itself alot'

having more ram doesn't guarantees a faster performance buh the processing unit of ya phones (the core, ghz, mp3......) will say a lot. A 2.0ghz with 1gb ram will give smart performance more than 1.3ghz couple with 3 gb ram....

Am in sambisa come an beat me
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by seunlayi(m): 6:31am On Jul 28, 2017
RETIREDMUMU:

having more ram doesn't guarantees a faster performance buh the processing unit of ya phones (the core, ghz, mp3......) will say a lot. A 2.0ghz with 1gb ram will give smart performance more than 1.3ghz couple with 3 gb ram....

You are on point
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 28, 2017
RETIREDMUMU:

Your brain works actually correct but meanwhile it depends on phone Brand as you know you can't compare Xiaomi phone to Tecno
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by Babanhajiya(m): 8:51am On Jul 28, 2017
For me, 1GB RAM is enough. I am not a heavy user, I mostly use uc browser Facebook Whatsapp, Instagram and Twitter that's it. I don't play games nor install any unnecessary apps on my phone.
Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by Defaramade(m): 9:24am On Jul 28, 2017
Babanhajiya:
For me, 1GB RAM is enough. I am not a heavy user, I mostly use uc browser Facebook Whatsapp, Instagram and Twitter that's it. I don't play games nor install any unnecessary apps on my phone.
Bro, you are better off with at least 2gigs of RAM. Do you know that all those applications you mentioned when opened at once use more than 500 mb of RAM??

2 Likes

Re: How Much RAM Does Your Android Smartphone Really Need? by TrevorDJ(m): 3:46pm On Jun 30, 2022
RAM is a valuable feature your device has, and it can determine how fast your device can be. However, if you want to learn how much RAM your phone has, you’ll need to enable the hidden Developer Options menu. This article explains how to see how much RAM your Android phone has.

https://www.novabach.com/how-to-see-how-much-ram-your-android-phone-has/

(1) (Reply)

Cheap 9mobile Data Subcription / Free: Get 200% Bonus On Every Recharge You Make On Glo Bumpatariff Plan / Samsung Fan Create A Schematics Of Samsung Galaxy Note 9/ S9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.