Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,363 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble (830 Views)

David Lyon's Speech And English Got People Talking (Video) / 2023: Military Will Stay Out Of Elections If INEC Adopts E-voting —army / Retired Generals Warn Military To Stay Out Of Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by yemiprof(m): 10:01pm On Aug 28, 2017
The federal government has announced that purveyors of hate speeches will henceforth be dealt with according to the law.

In fact, vice President Yemi Osinbajo, said those who promotes hate speeches in the country will be treated as terrorists.

Nigerian Army, in furtherance to President Muhammdu Buhari’s nationwide broadcast where he condemned recent hate speeches especially in the social media, has said it is monitoring social media to check false and hate speeches.

To avoid trouble and not fall victim of government barking and biting, it is important you understand what is hate speech.

So what constitute hate speech?

Miebara Rommel in his recent article “Why Hate Speech is Wrong and Should be Illegal, wrote “Frankly, the concept of hate speech has myriad of explanations and dimensions. But I found the definition of Prof. Christian Ezeibe of the University of Nigeria succinct. He defines Hate speech as “any speech, gesture, conduct, writing or display which could incite people to violence or prejudicial action.”

He went on to say the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination gave an elaborate explanation.

It noted that hate speech includes: “(a) all dissemination of ideas based on racial or ethnic superiority or hatred, by whatever means; (b) incitement to hatred, contempt or discrimination against members of a group on grounds of their race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin; (c) threats or incitement to violence against persons or groups on the grounds in (b) above; (d) expression of insults, ridicule or slander of persons or groups or justification of hatred, contempt or discrimination on the grounds in (b) above, when it clearly amounts to incitement to hatred or discrimination; (e) participation in organizations and activities which promote and incite racial discrimination.”

Advertise with us

Now you know… So stay out of trouble.

Source: http://www.breezereporters.com/what-you-should-know-about-hate-speech-and-stay-out-of-trouble/

Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by darnley16(m): 10:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
Afonjas.
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by maclatunji: 10:46pm On Aug 28, 2017
darnley16:
Afonjas.

You might either think you are having fun or truly being cool by being unruly.

However, it doesn't take much for a few hundred people to made examples for others.

Hopefully, you will not be one of them.

1 Like

Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by babyfaceafrica: 11:00pm On Aug 28, 2017
Noted
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by darnley16(m): 8:29am On Aug 29, 2017
maclatunji:

You might either think you are having fun or truly being cool by being unruly.

However, it doesn't take much for a few hundred people to made examples for others.

Hopefully, you will not be one of them.
Dude I'm Yoruba calm your nerves man
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by wakaman: 9:01am On Aug 29, 2017
Concise!
Hate speech is anything you express that make people respond with hate.
Hate me! I hate you back!
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by Samirana360(m): 9:06am On Aug 29, 2017
what goes around comes around.....hate speech continues.....
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by maclatunji: 9:11pm On Aug 29, 2017
darnley16:
Dude I'm Yoruba calm your nerves man

Oh, so you think security agents will care whether you are Yoruba or Yala?
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by kenny987(f): 11:02pm On Aug 29, 2017
wakaman:
Concise!
Hate speech is anything you express that make people respond with hate.
Hate me! I hate you back!

That hateful response also constitutes hate speech so u either stay above or be ready to be tarred with the same brush.
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by Prouddevil(m): 11:12am On Aug 30, 2017
yemiprof:
The federal government has announced that purveyors of hate speeches will henceforth be dealt with according to the law.

In fact, vice President Yemi Osinbajo, said those who promotes hate speeches in the country will be treated as terrorists.

Nigerian Army, in furtherance to President Muhammdu Buhari’s nationwide broadcast where he condemned recent hate speeches especially in the social media, has said it is monitoring social media to check false and hate speeches.

To avoid trouble and not fall victim of government barking and biting, it is important you understand what is hate speech.

So what constitute hate speech?

Miebara Rommel in his recent article “Why Hate Speech is Wrong and Should be Illegal, wrote “Frankly, the concept of hate speech has myriad of explanations and dimensions. But I found the definition of Prof. Christian Ezeibe of the University of Nigeria succinct. He defines Hate speech as “any speech, gesture, conduct, writing or display which could incite people to violence or prejudicial action.”

He went on to say the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination gave an elaborate explanation.

It noted that hate speech includes: “(a) all dissemination of ideas based on racial or ethnic superiority or hatred, by whatever means; (b) incitement to hatred, contempt or discrimination against members of a group on grounds of their race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin; (c) threats or incitement to violence against persons or groups on the grounds in (b) above; (d) expression of insults, ridicule or slander of persons or groups or justification of hatred, contempt or discrimination on the grounds in (b) above, when it clearly amounts to incitement to hatred or discrimination; (e) participation in organizations and activities which promote and incite racial discrimination.”

Advertise with us

Now you know… So stay out of trouble.

Source: http://www.breezereporters.com/what-you-should-know-about-hate-speech-and-stay-out-of-trouble/
what about name checkers?, what about these names afonja, Igbos, abokis can they be classified as hate speech.?
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by lordkush: 11:25am On Aug 30, 2017
maclatunji:

Oh, so you think security agents will care whether you are Yoruba or Yala?
grin afonja I dey my house come and beat me.

or are you just realising what hate speech means?
those times oga midget called the I jaw man slow poke where you blind or deaf?
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by lordkush: 11:27am On Aug 30, 2017
didn't the president call ss/sE 5%?
how do you define hate speech? or you just tag what ever you don't like as hate speech

please undemocratic elements should fûck off
Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by Truckpusher(m): 11:30am On Aug 30, 2017
With the above definition of hate speech ,the olodo in Aso Rock should be rotting in jail.

APC started the hate speech brand of politics and they will get it tenfold.

''Buhari is a mor0n'' Coman lock me up.
Thunder faya all of una....

2 Likes

Re: What You Should Know About Hate Speech And Stay Out Of Trouble by pabjo: 12:14pm On Aug 30, 2017
let deal with the violence hate erupting our country before dealing with words of mouth.

(1) (Reply)

Pics Of Buhari,emir Of Daura In Katsina Ahead Of Eid El Kabir Celebration / Aminu Tambuwal Has Potential To Be Nigeria,s Next President / Ekiti 2018: PDP Rejects Fayose’s Candidate, Adopts Deputy Governor, Olusola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.