Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:43 AM

The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... (709 Views)

Wike Thanks Buhari For Refunding N78.9bn To Rivers, Appeals For A State Visit / Osinbajo Visits Zungeru, Niger State And Inspects Area Affected By Flood / Grisly Photos: Nigerian Niger Delta: The Shame Of A Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... by Limitless72(m): 8:14pm On Oct 03, 2017
The enlightened, teachers, scholars, et al in the house should assist me with this one... I was placed in a quagmire position this morning whilst in the middle of a conversation the difference between a state and a nation resulted to a heated substantial argument between I and my colleagues... So I would like more clarification from the educated in the house..... STATE and NATION......c'est meme?
Re: The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... by bkool7(m): 8:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
A country is a self-governing political entity. The term country can be used interchangeably with a state. A nation, however, is a tightly-knit group of people that share a common culture or background.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... by Tolexander: 8:30pm On Oct 03, 2017
A state is a political entity having a sovereignty over a spatial entity or piece of land, no matter the size. The piece of land occupied is well and clearly demarcated to prevent an interference from other state.
The people making up the state run the political, economical and social affair of the state.

A Nation is just a group of people, tribe or race who share common culture and tradition and see themselves different from the surrounding group eg Biafra.
Re: The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... by Obudupikin: 8:42pm On Oct 03, 2017
Limitless72:
The enlightened, teachers, scholars, et al in the
house should assist me with this one... I was placed
in a quagmire position this morning whilst in the
middle of a conversation the difference between a
state and a nation resulted to a heated substantial
argument between I and my colleagues...
So I would like more clarification from the educated
in the house.....
STATE and NATION......c'est meme?

The dude above has given you the difference. Let me gloss it with example; Nigeria is a state and Biafra is a nation.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... by Pieromania: 8:48pm On Oct 03, 2017
A nation is a group of people with Common heritage, culture, religion , ethnicity and language.

While a State is fixed geographical expression of a particular region which comprises of 4 elements- population, territory, government, and sovereignty.

A state is a political expression and organisation, while a nation is social, cultural and political organisation. A state can not exist in the absence of any of the 4 elements, bt a nation does.
A State is defined by territory bt a nation is not restricted to territory.

There can be multi nationals within a state
Re: The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... by Limitless72(m): 10:04pm On Oct 03, 2017
Tolexander:
A state is a political entity having a sovereignty over a spatial entity or piece of land, no matter the size. The piece of land occupied is well and clearly demarcated to prevent an interference from other state.
The people making up the state run the political, economical and social affair of the state.

A Nation is just a group of people, tribe or race who share common culture and tradition and see themselves different from the surrounding group eg Biafra.

So you saying literally that a state must posses supreme power free from external influence/control to manage its affairs and resources....and without sovereignty a state loses its existence( like sovereignty is the SOUL of a state..)

While a nation on the other hand are just a group of people connected together by common heritage, historical background, language, beliefs, and culture.....
Re: The Difference Between A STATE And A NATION....... by Lanretoye(m): 11:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
as a layman,I'll say a nation is an autonomous state e.g,Lagos is a nation in Nigeria... am I confused,abi wetin we go talk when pekin get sense pass him papa.

(1) (Reply)

“if Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Produced Today There Will Be Trouble”- IPOB / OBJ Is Seeking For Young Igbo Presidency In 2019 / Breaking! President Buhari Promises To Help Gambia Recover Thier Stolen Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.