Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox (36387 Views)

Federal Government Denies Report Of Deliberate Injection Of Monkey Pox Virus / Monkey Pox: Stop Eating Bush Meat, Monkeys & Dead Animals - Health Minister / Monkeypox Outbreak Hits Bayelsa, Doctor, 10 Others Quarantined (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by PublicHealthNig: 5:43pm On Oct 06, 2017
with monkeypox in Bayelsa and the minister of health warning Nigerians to avoid consuming bush meats and rodents, it has become imperative to sensitize the public about the infectious disease called monkeypox
Monkeypox is a rare viral zoonosis (a virus transmitted to humans from animals) with symptoms in humans similar to those seen in the past in smallpox patients, although less severe. Smallpox was eradicated in 1980.However, monkeypox still occurs sporadically in some parts of Africa.

Transmission of Monkeypox
Transmission of monkeypox virus occurs when a person comes into contact with the virus from an animal, human, or materials contaminated with the virus. The virus enters the body through broken skin (even if not visible), respiratory tract, or the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth). Animal-to-human transmission may occur by bite or scratch, bush meat preparation, direct contact with body fluids or lesion material, or indirect contact with lesion material, such as through contaminated bedding. Human-to-human transmission is thought to occur primarily through large respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets generally cannot travel more than a few feet, so prolonged face-to-face contact is required. Other human-to-human methods of transmission include direct contact with body fluids or lesion material, and indirect contact with lesion material, such as through contaminated clothing or linens.

Symptoms

In humans, the symptoms of monkeypox are similar to but milder than the symptoms of smallpox. Monkeypox begins with fever, headache, muscle aches, and exhaustion. The main difference between symptoms of smallpox and monkeypox is that monkeypox causes lymph nodes to swell (lymphadenopathy) while smallpox does not. The incubation period (time from infection to symptoms) for monkeypox is usually 7−14 days but can range from 5−21 days.
The illness begins with:
• Fever
• Headache
• Muscle aches
• Backache
• Swollen lymph nodes
• Chills
• Exhaustion

Prevention of small pox

• Avoid contact with animals that could harbor the virus (including animals that are sick or that have been found dead in areas where monkeypox occurs).
• Avoid contact with any materials, such as bedding, that has been in contact with a sick animal.
• Isolate infected patients from others who could be at risk for infection.
• Practice good hand hygiene after contact with infected animals or humans. For example, washing your hands with soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Use personal protective equipment (PPE) when caring for patients.

Symptoms

In humans, the symptoms of monkeypox are similar to but milder than the symptoms of smallpox. Monkeypox begins with fever, headache, muscle aches, and exhaustion. The main difference between symptoms of smallpox and monkeypox is that monkeypox causes lymph nodes to swell (lymphadenopathy) while smallpox does not. The incubation period (time from infection to symptoms) for monkeypox is usually 7−14 days but can range from 5−21 days.
The illness begins with:
• Fever
• Headache
• Muscle aches
• Backache
• Swollen lymph nodes
• Chills
• Exhaustion

Stay Safe Avoid Bush Meats for Now

Source : http://www.publichealth.com.ng/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-monkeypox-disease/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by NwaChibuzor: 5:50pm On Oct 06, 2017
later if oyinbos call them monkeys , dem go dey vex.

Buhari, sorry jubrin brought this virus from sudan.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 06, 2017
I wish virus never existed

2 Likes

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Ugaboy: 7:27pm On Oct 06, 2017
Oh no
I took third
I just registered yesterday
Am already competing for ftc

What is even wrong with me

Less I forget
U don't need miss this opportunity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by chinaze4real(m): 7:27pm On Oct 06, 2017
BUHARI is the problem grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by ahnaija: 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
well.... thanks disease is not actually from monkey... it can be from any animal

1 Like

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Stevengerd(m): 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Ebola Reloaded

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by echobazz: 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
May God help us.

Epidemic outbreaks everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by seedman(m): 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Jesus

1 Like

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by FitnessDoctor: 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Another virus that is transmitted through contact... Ebola left a scar in Africa and now monkeypox.

I believe the only way to prevent this disease from spreading is to ban meat. Without the exchange of meat, it can easily be curbed.

In Other News
You can visit my blog www.realfitbody.com for 10 Sex Positions You Should Never Try!!! For Your Own Good
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by tolexy123: 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Lawd have mercy shocked
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by IamOpemipo(m): 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Eleyi deep o
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by muller101(m): 7:29pm On Oct 06, 2017
Snake pox.

15 Likes

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by oshe11: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2017
The child belike......

"TAKE FIVE"

1 Like

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Yusuf54: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2017
NwaChibuzor:
later if oyinbos call them monkeys , dem go dey vex.
And who are the Monkeys U r refering to ? Ode Burukuuuuuuuu

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by PissedOffWeed(m): 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2017
God forbid !!!

But if I get this kind sickness.... Walai, as the rashes get to this point... I will kuku hang myself!!!

Wtf is this!!!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Ugaboy: 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2017
chinaze4real:

And who is ur responsible for ur own problems

2 Likes

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Skerere: 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2017
hya!hya!hya!
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Hofbrauhaus(m): 7:32pm On Oct 06, 2017
....that moment when you realize that there is no monkeypox in Nigeria but BMCs desperately looking for an achievement for the dullard from daura, creates monkeypox.

We see you fools.

I told you so..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by maxiuc(m): 7:32pm On Oct 06, 2017
God protect your children ooooooooo

It was by this time 2014 when Ebola scare increased

Hand sanitizer company Oya business Don come

State governor will now say he Spent 2trillion naira In fighting the virus
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Generalyemi(m): 7:33pm On Oct 06, 2017
get ready
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by PMBtill2023: 7:34pm On Oct 06, 2017
chinaze4real:
Fish Brain
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by NwaChibuzor: 7:34pm On Oct 06, 2017
Yusuf54:
And who are the Monkeys U r refering to ? Ode Burukuuuuuuuu
iya baba e
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Generalyemi(m): 7:36pm On Oct 06, 2017
Ugaboy:
Oh no I took third I just registered yesterday Am already competing for ftc
Less I forget U don't need miss this opportunity

u need this monkeypox in your life

1 Like

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by PMBtill2023: 7:36pm On Oct 06, 2017
MAY Almighty ALLAH save us (AMEEN)

3 Likes

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by echobazz: 7:38pm On Oct 06, 2017
Ugaboy:
Oh no
I took third
I just registered yesterday
Am already competing for ftc

Less I forget
U don't need miss this opportunity
Oya clap for yourself

1 Like

Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Rudewaterz(m): 7:38pm On Oct 06, 2017
oshe11:
The child belike......

"TAKE FIVE"
You're certifiably incapable of empathy, and it is shameful.
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Koolking(m): 7:38pm On Oct 06, 2017
PublicHealthNig:

The illness begins with:
• Fever
• Headache
• Muscle aches
• Backache
• Swollen lymph nodes
• Chills
• Exhaustion

Every disease seems to have similar symptoms, including HIV/Aids. I am wondering how we arrive at their various names
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by YesNoMaybe: 7:38pm On Oct 06, 2017
The prophecies were true afterall
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by Paulpaulpaul(m): 7:39pm On Oct 06, 2017
Okay
Re: Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox by oshe11: 7:40pm On Oct 06, 2017
Rudewaterz:

You're certifiably incapable of empathy, and it is shameful.
calm down bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Menace Of Sepe, Agbo-Jedi: Pile Herbal-Medicine / Dangers Of Taking Codine Cough Syrup By Mi Abaga / 35-Year-Old Man Electrocuted By Christmas Light Decorations In Delta (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.