Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

As An Engine Boy - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As An Engine Boy (448 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

As An Engine Boy by Kingsley121(m): 8:00pm On Nov 28, 2017
AS AN ENGINE BOY

The transition from Secondary School to the University was not an easy one, because Jamb jam me small. A solid background in mathematics and a sucker for new inventions in the science world spurred my decision to go for a field in the applied sciences, hence my choice for Engineering.

I wasn’t exceptional in chemistry, so chemical engineering which I’ve always felt was all about chemistry wasn’t a good path for me, Electrical and Electronics Engineering were for mere electricians, Civil Engineers were only building bridges and roads, so I thought, Mechanical Engineers? Do I want to end up being a roadside mechanic, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering? sounds sophisticated and catchy but not for me. Anyways I chose one of the above-listed fields.
First year was less fun for me cos running to and from lecture theatres wasn’t an easy one for me, so the preference for Jeans and Tee’s were barely by choice and mostly by necessity.

“Engineering is the application of Mathematics, Science, Economics & Social and Practical Knowledge to invent, innovate, design, build, maintain, research and improve structures, machines, tools, systems, components, materials, processes, solutions and organizations.” When my lecturer defined Engineering in this format, I nodded my head in approval that I was at the right place.

As an Engine boy, my friends and the society at large expect me to be smarter and intelligent than my counterparts in the other fields. As an engine boy, the generator is due for servicing , I’m expected to fix it myself, PHCN interrupts power supply ,your family is not convinced, they are hoping you could do something about it, The car breaks down on the road, your mum be like “won’t you go and practice your engineering in the car’s engine?” A lady in your lodge wants to fix her bulb, you’re being called cos you’re and engineering student.

As an Engine boy, I love General Studies Programmes, cos I get to leave our Gayhub and mingle with the opposite sex. Though rugged in nature I try as much as possible to look cute in appearance. As an Engine boy, I see few beautiful ladies in my classroom, but dating them is like breaking the Guy code. As an Engine boy I felt mathematics was my forte till I encountered MTH 206(Advanced Mathematics VI) in my Second year & Engineering Analysis in my Third year, which made me dread Mathematics and think to myself “Was Mathematics becoming my Achilles heel?”.

As an Engine boy I thought thermodynamics was just all about what we were briefed in elementary physics and chemistry till I met Thermo-by-magic in my 2nd year as well. As an engine boy, Okpa and a bottle of drink could see me through the day, As an engine boy, you get used to being called and engineer even when you know you’d not be graduating with your peers.

As an Engine boy, my appearance, gait and confidence make up for my slight lack of proficiency in the English language, I see myself as a demigod while trying to tell my friends in the arts and social sciences how the engineering field is superior to theirs. They call me arrogant and proud, but I take their tantrums with a pinch of salt.
As engineers, we love to solve problems and if there is no problem available we create our own problems. “While Scientists investigate that which already is, Engineers create that which has never been”- Albert Einstein

Shout out to all my Engine Boys!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

List Of Approved JAMB CBT Centres For UTME 2018 Registration / Delsu Alumni To Host Award In Port Harcourt / [SECRET] How I Conquered Jamb & Post Utme..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.