Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Could Programming Have Advanced Without Piracy/filesharing ? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Could Programming Have Advanced Without Piracy/filesharing ? (809 Views)

Github Took Down A Streaming App Over Claims Of Piracy / Introducing SIIT Advanced Diploma Program / Combating Software Piracy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Could Programming Have Advanced Without Piracy/filesharing ? by asalimpo(m): 8:01pm On Dec 05, 2017
sure i wont ever want my software to b pirated. It's my work and labour.
But when i started learning this thing, i thrived on pirated ebooks downloaded thru file sharing software.
Thanksfully the sdks and other tools were free. This piracy thing has helped many millions of people who could never have afforded to learn programming to the level they are without piracy.
Sure it hurts the authors but, otherwise it wouldav been very very very expensive for most of the interested population.

How would most people have learnt without pirated windows os?
i mean,it just beats me. I bet 90% of readers on this forum have never bought an original windows os before?
Have you? I've never. And probably never will!

For those who even want to consider buying one, the stringent policy from microsoft is offputting.

And for those who have - met only 1 person who ever bought an original ms os! - others will buy a new laptop then buy pirated windows to run it!!
Ok, it's immoral. But software piracy created far more good than evil,it made it possible for many many people to have an education where otherwise price wouldav locked them out.
Many poor and struggling people who had access to a computer and the internet, could get study materials and have a good quality education for a fraction of the cost otherwise.

filesharing taught me that many books on programming ar junk.
That you've got to browse many books to find the one that is really good.
If one had to buy all those books,he'd discover after cash has changed hands that he bought crap.

However, when one starts getting money, he graduates from living off ebooks to buying some paper backs.
But initially filesharing and piracy helpd many jump start their careers and live better lives.
If only other professions could be opened up the way filesharing and piracy opened up programming.
Re: Could Programming Have Advanced Without Piracy/filesharing ? by 4kings: 8:36pm On Dec 05, 2017
Hmm.
Re: Could Programming Have Advanced Without Piracy/filesharing ? by GavelSlam: 9:40pm On Dec 05, 2017
Maybe in 3rd world nations. In more advanced nations, buying a computer often means purchasing the authentic software alongside. You've got to ask how Bill Gates became so wealthy.

I do however agree that piracy has had some value to the African user who otherwise might not have been able to afford it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

GUI Development / Startup: What Do You Think About Gisthive.com / Networking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.