Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) (1237 Views)

Itel S13 Hands-on Review: A Dual-camera Budget Smartphone Running Android Go / Blackberry KEY2 Dual Camera Launched In India : Price Specification & More / What You Need To Know About A Dual Camera When Choosing A Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Abiodunspectre(m): 3:59pm On Dec 18, 2017
One of the biggest thing in the world of smartphones this year is dual camera. iPhone X, Galaxy Note 8, iPhone 8 Plus and the Tecno Phantom 8 all have this dual camera. one where a high resolution camera is combined with a secondary low resolution camera. The combination of the two camera allows you to pull off some interesting feature ,one of which is BOKEH EFFECTS.

BOKEH is defined as the effects of a soft out of focus background that you get when shooting a subject, using a fast lens at the widest aperture such as f/2.8 or wider.

In a more simple term BOKEH is an aesthetic quality of out of focus blur in a photograph.

Today I will be demonstrating how you can use this feature and the device I'll be using is the TECNO Phantom 8....

The first Step is to launch your Camera

Swipe your device to Refocus mode

Tap on your subject to focus

Be within 1.0mm to 2 5mm from your subject

Click to take your shot.

Below are some of the pictures taken in the refocusing mode.... Due to small sensor you might to get the same result as a DSLR camera buy you'll get something close to it.

Cc Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Dragnet

Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Iceman296: 4:05pm On Dec 18, 2017
Grabs Pop corn and Sits down
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by MizMyColi(f): 4:06pm On Dec 18, 2017
The photography looks professional. I m impressed.
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Ennyholar: 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2017
Woooow shocked
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Abiodunspectre(m): 4:24pm On Dec 18, 2017
More pictures

Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Ennyholar: 4:25pm On Dec 18, 2017
Abiodunspectre:
More pictures

This is nice
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Hakimrealest: 4:30pm On Dec 18, 2017
Abiodunspectre:
One of the biggest thing in the world of smartphones this year is dual camera. iPhone X, Galaxy Note 8, iPhone 8 Plus and the Tecno Phantom 8 all have this dual camera. one where a high resolution camera is combined with a secondary low resolution camera. The combination of the two camera allows you to pull off some interesting feature ,one of which is BOKEH EFFECTS.

BOKEH is defined as the effects of a soft out of focus background that you get when shooting a subject, using a fast lens at the widest aperture such as f/2.8 or wider.

In a more simple term BOKEH is an aesthetic quality of out of focus blur in a photograph.

Today I will be demonstrating how you can use this feature and the device I'll be using is the TECNO Phantom 8....

The first Step is to launch your Camera

Swipe your device to Refocus mode

Tap on your subject to focus

Be within 1.0mm to 2 5mm from your subject

Click to take your shot.

Below are some of the pictures taken in the refocusing mode.... Due to small sensor you might to get the same result as a DSLR camera buy you'll get something close to it.

Cc Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Dragnet

Bro
Is that lady single
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by paolokonqueror(m): 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2017
This Guy dey always use him phone snap fine babe grin
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Realboygenius(m): 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2017
I saw something..I won't say
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Realboygenius(m): 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2017
paolokonqueror:

Baba
Maybe nah him hubby be that... grin
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Abiodunspectre(m): 4:36pm On Dec 18, 2017
Hakimrealest:

Bro
Is that lady single

My brother
She's double
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Abiodunspectre(m): 4:36pm On Dec 18, 2017
paolokonqueror:
Bro it's my hubby.
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Abiodunspectre(m): 4:37pm On Dec 18, 2017
MizMyColi:

Thanks
All shots from the Phantom 8
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by chicwoman(f): 9:59am On Dec 19, 2017
This is really cool!
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by chicwoman(f): 10:01am On Dec 19, 2017
I would like to compare this Phantom 8 camera with that of the Pixel camera.
I want to see how it holds up.
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by shiftback: 10:04am On Dec 19, 2017
This is the same as potrait mode. Awesome! The subject in focus and every other thing in the background blurred out. Really impressive
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Behankey(m): 7:13pm On Dec 29, 2017
Why are these pictures so fine and clear??
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by scarycuteface(m): 9:00pm On Dec 29, 2017
Issa nice feature though.
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Freelancerx: 10:10pm On Dec 29, 2017
chicwoman:
I would like to compare this Phantom 8 camera with that of the Pixel camera.
I want to see how it holds up.
Google Pixel has the best camera out there. But this one shoots amazingly well too.
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by scarycuteface(m): 9:58pm On Dec 30, 2017
Behankey:
Why are these pictures so fine and clear??
The camera is good. I think it uses Sony lens
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Gosj01(m): 10:12pm On Dec 30, 2017
Abiodunspectre:
More pictures

Out of everywhere in Laspotech Ikorodu, Na only Activities centre you fit use for background?

When Fine buildings dey for School of tech, even Smbs hall fine pass

1 Like

Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Behankey(m): 6:42pm On Dec 31, 2017
scarycuteface:
The camera is good. I think it uses Sony lens
Oh. Okay. No wonder the camera is one of the best
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by scarycuteface(m): 8:29pm On Dec 31, 2017
Behankey:
Oh. Okay. No wonder the camera is one of the best
Yes!
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 31, 2017
Shot this on infinix zero 5

Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 31, 2017
Ok, you've got some decent picture over here.

but.

I don't mean to sound critical of your pictures but, just so you know, I'm (extremely) obsessed with good photography, so, I kinda have a thing or two to say about your shots. I hope you don't take things to heart and you try to improve (I'm guessing you're gonna want to take many more shots with your device- a phantom 8 I presume) so that you could do 'better' at casual photography.

To start with, I think you've got some terms (a term actually) 'a little bit' misinterpreted, and that term is Bokeh. The refocusing capabilities of your phone's camera module is just going to provide a 'bokeh-like' quality, in fact, the effect does have its name: depth of field, when the depth of field is shallow, you have the background blurred a bit, so that the subject would 'stand out', when the depth of field is opposite of shallow, the opposite effect is gotten.

The blur effects in your shots are a little 'hit or miss', sometimes they are pretty decent, sometimes they're a bit messy. Now, this is as a result of your phone's lenses not being the most suitable for blurring effects (I hope you know that bokeh like effects are rendered by the camera lenses and not the whole camera). Standard zoom lenses (which your phone boasts of) create a far less consistent blur effect when compared to Telephoto lenses (which I must say, produces true bokeh effects). So, you would have to manually tweak the blur settings so that you can eke out a more consistent blur effect, because the normal auto settings is a bit gimmicky.

Conclusively, all I'm trying to say is, whenever I see your pictures, it occurs to me that some of them have been let down by the point-and-shoot 'refocus' capabilities of your camera, which could be better if you do a little manual tweaking here and there.

You might be thinking "what a long epistle this is" (that's even if you didn't skim through). All these are just for your info.

You just go out there and try to take more great shots!

1 Like

Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 31, 2017
tobbiiqq:
Shot this on infinix zero 5
Nice Bokeh effect, all thanks to the Telephoto lens on your Zero 5!
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 31, 2017
shiftback:
This is the same as potrait mode. Awesome! The subject in focus and every other thing in the background blurred out. Really impressive

It's not the same as portrait mode.
This is just background blur, bokeh-esque quality. Portrait mode has the Bokeh quality.
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Kogbaski: 9:34pm On Jan 03, 2018
The lens of this phone is powerful
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by koskilala: 9:57pm On Jan 03, 2018
Tecno phantom 8 is a great device. The lens is quite powerful too
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Poshkeez: 7:54am On Jan 18, 2018
MizMyColi:

Me too
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by Freelancerx: 12:55pm On Jan 20, 2018
koskilala:
Tecno phantom 8 is a great device. The lens is quite powerful too
Everything about this is dope.
Re: How Does A Dual Camera Refocusing Work? (explained) by jetz(m): 5:27pm On Jan 20, 2018
adeboyewareez:
Ok, you've got some decent picture over here.

but.

I don't mean to sound critical of your pictures but, just so you know, I'm (extremely) obsessed with good photography, so, I kinda have a thing or two to say about your shots. I hope you don't take things to heart and you try to improve (I'm guessing you're gonna want to take many more shots with your device- a phantom 8 I presume) so that you could do 'better' at casual photography.

To start with, I think you've got some terms (a term actually) 'a little bit' misinterpreted, and that term is Bokeh. The refocusing capabilities of your phone's camera module is just going to provide a 'bokeh-like' quality, in fact, the effect does have its name: depth of field, when the depth of field is shallow, you have the background blurred a bit, so that the subject would 'stand out', when the depth of field is opposite of shallow, the opposite effect is gotten.

The blur effects in your shots are a little 'hit or miss', sometimes they are pretty decent, sometimes they're a bit messy. Now, this is as a result of your phone's lenses not being the most suitable for blurring effects (I hope you know that bokeh like effects are rendered by the camera lenses and not the whole camera). Standard zoom lenses (which your phone boasts of) create a far less consistent blur effect when compared to Telephoto lenses (which I must say, produces true bokeh effects). So, you would have to manually tweak the blur settings so that you can eke out a more consistent blur effect, because the normal auto settings is a bit gimmicky.

Conclusively, all I'm trying to say is, whenever I see your pictures, it occurs to me that some of them have been let down by the point-and-shoot 'refocus' capabilities of your camera, which could be better if you do a little manual tweaking here and there.

You might be thinking "what a long epistle this is" (that's even if you didn't skim through). All these are just for your info.

You just go out there and try to take more great shots!

you are absolutely correct the effect works perfectly on other high end chipset and phone brands like the samsung s8 so detailed in there's mtk has it fair share but not just good enough

(1) (Reply)

Computer Engineering / My Samsung Tab E Got Stuck On Samsung Logo, Please Help. / Sell Your Smart Phone Cheap For Ten Thousand Naira Or Less

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.