Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund (717 Views)

Obasanjo Commissions Seriake Dickson Foundation Office In Bayelsa (Photos) / Why I Supported Withdrawal Of $1 Billion ECA To Tackle Insecurity – Wike / Seriake Dickson Visits Goodluck Jonathan In His Otueke Mansion (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by lakpalakpa: 9:44pm On Dec 19, 2017
$1bn Boko Haram funds done in good faith – Dickson

ABUJA – GOVERNOR Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State, Tuesday in Abuja stated that the Nigeria’s Governors’ Forum’s NGF, decision to grant federal government permission to utilize $1 billion from the Excess Crude Account for security was taken in good faith.

The governor’s reaction came on the heels of the controversy surrounding the approval given during the last National Economic Council, NEC, meeting when he addressed state House correspondents after meeting with the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

According to him, the decision was not a political one but meant to strengthen the country’s security apparatus.
He said, “It was a decision taken in good faith to support our security services, to strengthen our national security and enhance operations in the interest of everybody else.

“This is not a political issue and I thought that I should say that, but the details of what we would do and say and the clarifications will come at the end of the meeting of the governors.’’

The Bayelsa State Governor said that the governors would meet later in the day to fine tune how to move the matter further noting that there was a lot of unnecessary controversy on the approval in the media.

“There is a lot of unnecessary controversy out there in the media.
“After the meeting this afternoon our chairman and some of us may have to talk to the media, may have the need to interact with the President and the Vice President on it.

“These are issues of national security and I think that we leaders must be circumspect in terms of creating controversies on issues of national security.

“Our duty is to collaborate amongst ourselves, collaborate with the federal government on two critical issues of national security and issues of the economy, and that is what the NEC does.’’

On why he was at the Presidential Villa, Dickson stated that he came to consult the Vice President adding that the governors were also consulting to deal with the issues.

On the recent assassinations and rise in crime in Bayelsa, the governor stated that increase in crime was a national phenomenon during the period of festivities.

“It is a national phenomenon especially at this time of the year; Bayelsa has been known for stability and peace in the last six years.

“That’s one area we have expended a lot of energy and resources and so we are concerned if there is any incident of criminal conduct not to talk of two, three, four or five.

“It is still within control but we are bothered about it.
“And we are working together and supporting the security forces, mobilizing the citizens of the state and activating our structures and systems to ensure that we regain control of the security situation.
“So I assure all of you, I assure the country that Bayelsa is safe and stable.
“Security forces and community leaders are working together and there is a government that understands the role and the place of security which I lead.

“So, no cause for alarm, things are okay.’’

The governor acknowledged that he came to have discussion with the Vice President on issues of national interest and concern but which he was not in a position to divulge the details.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/12/1bn-boko-haram-funds-done-good-faith-dickson/
Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by Bevista: 9:56pm On Dec 19, 2017
Nice to see see an opposition governor coming out to clear the air on the controversial issue.
---
Throughout the governor's statement, he he kept referring to "National security" which is consistent with the earlier position of the vice president.
---
Unfortunately, this has been misconstrued as funds for only Boko Haram fight, and this newspaper headline is still trying to reinforce this false narrative.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by lakpalakpa: 10:05pm On Dec 19, 2017
Shame on Fayose and other PDP E-rats who are playing politics with issues of national security.

undecided

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by lakpalakpa: 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2017
These are issues of national security and I think that we leaders must be circumspect in terms of creating controversies on issues of national security.

I believe he was referring to the oaf who calls himself governor of Ekiti state.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by abokibuhari: 10:13pm On Dec 19, 2017
This cow wants to defect to APC sad
Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by oduastates: 10:51pm On Dec 19, 2017
The federal government should be forced to slim down to free up funds for development.
Asking to spend money set aside by states , after extracting the money from the soil of polluted states is an overreach .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by aolawale025: 11:46pm On Dec 19, 2017
Dickson is just being politically correct. Even the VP have been trying to say the funds was not meant for Boko haram alone. Much like an after thought Let any national security issue be incorporated in the 2018 budget yet to be passed.
Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by ItsTutsi(m): 12:44am On Dec 20, 2017
hahahaha the highly deluded ipob Jews wouldn't like this news..look how they have all deserted this thread grin cheesy
Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by Nobody: 1:55am On Dec 20, 2017
Dickson is being a statesman here
Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by bigerboy200: 6:08am On Dec 20, 2017
Dickson is not a true PDP man..he is a traitor..** In Bia... voice..**
Re: Seriake Dickson supports release of $1 billion ECA fund by lakpalakpa: 9:18am On Dec 20, 2017
Rer
abokibuhari:
This cow wants to defect to APC sad

You sound pained..

grin

(1) (Reply)

Yuletide: Travelers Commend FG On Fuel Availability (see Photo) / I Hate This Country! / The Best President That Ever Ruled Any Country In This World!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.