Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account (9195 Views)

Change Your Airtel Mifi Password In 5 Easy Steps / What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die / "It's Time To Delete Your Facebook Account" - Brian Acton, Whatsapp Co-founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by Kingspin(m): 9:17pm On Mar 21, 2018
Take control of your identity online. It's a sudden wave of fear that has gripped everyone, everywhere. Users are deleting their Facebook accounts after it was revealed that a company harvested data from 50 million users of the social network site, breaching their privacy. This has since spawned the hashtag #deletefacebook, which was started by WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton.

But hold on - don't delete Facebook yet. There are ways to make your account more secure. Apart from the usual advice of 'having a complex password' and 'not using the same password on different sites', here are five foolproof ways to keep your online identity on FB safe.

1. Check out your app settings

Do you remember every single time you used 'Connect via Facebook' on apps you use? How about the quizzes you answered that asked for your consent? More often than not, we click 'Accept' on these clauses and move on. Some of these apps can grab all permissions they can - such as accessing your inbox, and other personal data. You can revoke permissions you gave to apps by going to Settings > Apps and clicking the 'X' button on every single obscure app you've ever used.

2. Get out of Facebook Ads

Opt out of Ads by going to Settings > Ads and turning everything off. The site tailors advertisements shown to every user by checking on their likes and interests.

3. Resist the urge to post everything

It's a social media site so it's quite obvious that you have to be social and share daily happenings in your life online - wrong! Try to post less, not only will you feel less 'exposed', you're also shielding yourself from malicious persons online who might steal your content, such as photos and videos. And never, ever post documents online such as boarding passes, visas, passports and the like; even if they are blurred out.

4. Turn on two-factor authentication

Almost every single app has it - Twitter, Instagram.the list goes on. And it's an added layer of security. When you turn it on, every login instance you make will now ask for a special code that will be sent to your mobile number. In order to successfully log in, you have to input this one-time code.

5. Limit the visibility of your timeline

Your timeline is your online avatar and that's what your friends see. It can also be what everyone else sees if you let them to. To change who can view and post on your timeline, go to Settings > Timeline and Tagging. Make your selections and close. But before you rest easy, check if it works. In the same window, click on ?Review what other people see on your timeline'. You'll be given a live preview of how your page shows up to the rest of the public.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by pendusky(m): 9:21pm On Mar 21, 2018
useful information...
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by NosoChic: 10:14pm On Mar 21, 2018
Option 3 should be first point IMHO. Some of us choose to live our lives on social media.

I really don't understand this.

I'm just wondering if we have a Nigerian equivalent just like how China has theirs?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by Babygiwa(f): 6:30am On Mar 23, 2018
Sounds useful
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 23, 2018
Hh
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by ameddy1(m): 6:39am On Mar 23, 2018
My
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by peacettw: 6:39am On Mar 23, 2018
Or simply put, delete your Facebook account. Facebook is overrated anyways.
@op any tips on how to delete Facebook accounts permanently?
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by ladiesBOO(m): 6:41am On Mar 23, 2018
This is more useful than Lai's press release.
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by nony43(m): 6:43am On Mar 23, 2018
H
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by ladiesBOO(m): 6:44am On Mar 23, 2018
peacettw:
Facebook worth everything single rating it is receiving, there's nothing overrated about it, maybe you're talking about Instagram.

Follow follow application

1 Like

Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by buskie13(m): 6:44am On Mar 23, 2018
I don't waste my time on Facebook, if not for news I won't be here on nairaland

2 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by SwaGUnLimiTeD(m): 6:45am On Mar 23, 2018
Z
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by dust144(m): 6:45am On Mar 23, 2018
[s]5 easy way to secure your facebook account[/s]
It is 5ways to make your account more vulnerable. Leave your facebook account the way it is.
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by mybestlove(m): 6:46am On Mar 23, 2018
I think it's advisable also to avoid posting vital information on your timeline.

Some people are fond of accumulating friends/followers on social media which in turn makes them vulnerable to attacks and exposure.

1 Like

Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by MrMoney007: 6:46am On Mar 23, 2018
the end of facebook may be near
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by ikorodureporta: 6:53am On Mar 23, 2018
Why are u all so bothered as if fb is d only tool open to hacking? Al social media sites, email, & phones are same! Just mind the info u share via these media...thats all!
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:59am On Mar 23, 2018
Thanks OP

Many will never apply this simple steps, but will cry next of being hack on the platform.
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:02am On Mar 23, 2018
MrMoney007:
the end of facebook may be near

No. Don't predict that cos if it happens many will go poor forever

Rather put it this way; Facebook are currently in a difficult time. Just pray for them, am sure you have benefited from them in one way or the other.
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 23, 2018
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by akeentech(m): 7:42am On Mar 23, 2018
Good one
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by chiogoezubem(f): 8:39am On Mar 23, 2018
Interesting... Following...
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by dogstyle007(m): 9:16am On Mar 23, 2018
Interesting
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by tuzeriouz: 10:44am On Mar 23, 2018
peacettw:
yes u can. But before u do dat ensure u can stay away from fb for a long time.
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by Emeka71(m): 11:34am On Mar 23, 2018
BrainnewsNg:

No. Don't predict that cos if it happens many will go poor forever

Rather put it this way; Facebook are currently in a difficult time. Just pray for them, am sure you have benefited from them in one way or the other.
I don't really use facebook that much except to store pictures.
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by BrainnewsNg(f): 2:33pm On Mar 23, 2018
Emeka71:
I don't really use facebook that much except to store pictures.

I see
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by Psoul(m): 3:33pm On Mar 23, 2018
Once you have a facebook account, my dear, no matter what step u take, u can never be even up to70% protected. Your data will at one time or the other be sold to someone for either, personal, political or business purposes. Visit another business website today, tomorrow u see their product on your Facebook Timeline. How does it work.

Use Facebook Messenger, u will start reading all ur text messages on your Facebook messenger. What a trash.

If I have money, I can buy ur data and also use it against u.

The "fair" protection if u want to use Facebook is to buy a new line that is not linked to any of ur important dealings like bank etc.
Buy a new phone u wont ever use to make calls.
Register for Facebook with fake name, fake pic, fake location, never post anything about u on your timeline etc.
Never use the phone to navigate google map. Never turn on ur location in the phone.
Then follow other security measures. With this u may be a bit more secured.
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by chinedi7(m): 8:00am On Mar 24, 2018
peacettw:

Why not sell the acct,i helped a friend sell his
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by peacettw: 8:41am On Mar 24, 2018
chinedi7:

Why not sell the acct,i helped a friend sell his

Didn't know that you can sell your account
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by chinedi7(m): 10:30am On Mar 27, 2018
peacettw:

Didn't know that you can sell your account

If u still have it,bring it let's make money from ur scrap...take me as a scrap dealer...if interested,i don't know if there's a private chat in this forum.if there's is,ding me.
Re: 5 Easy Steps To Secure Your Facebook Account by MarkWayne89: 9:58am On Mar 28, 2018
Thank you!

But our data is at risk by being sold by Facebook, which we can't control sad

(1) (Reply)

Tecno Set To Release Phantom AIII (A3) With 16GB Internal Memory / Why Is Airtel Stealing My Money Arbitrarily? / [android] How To Download Videos On Facebook Lite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.