Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:26 PM

How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job (11612 Views)

Part Time Job In Ijoko-ota / How To Turn Your Internship Into A Full Time Job / Attend This Training And Get A Guaranteed Full Time Job ( 75k To 120k Salary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by 24hoursreporter: 5:57pm On May 22, 2018
Unemployment in the world is increasing in an alarming rate, despite efforts to create more jobs. As a result, the labour market has become very competitive. Getting a position is any reputable organization is a herculean task. However, companies now prefer engaging interns instead of permanent staff. Well, this article will enlighten you on how to convert your internship into a full time job.

Ordinarily, internship is a step closer to getting a job in any organization. At least, you have that feeling of belonging even if you are not a full member of the company. At times, interns get permanent positions after their internship in an organization. But this is not always the case.

ust imagine working as an intern in a multinational corporation like Shell, Cheveron,Total,Nestle etc. You will definitely be looking for more than internship position. So, this article will give you tips that will convert your internship into a full time job. This approach has worked for several people and it will definitely work for you.

Tips on How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job
The following tips will help you to convert your internship into a full time job irrespective of the company.

I know most people have the mentality that you need connection to have a good job in Nigeria. Though this is true, but some people still get juicy job opportunities without knowing anybody.

#1 Make Your Intentions known
Most people will be working as an interns and assume that their boss definitely know that you want a job. Your Boss is not a witch or wizard and clearly can’t read your mind. Therefore, always make your intentions known right from the onset.

You can stylishly send a message by asking him “What does it takes to get a full employment with your company”? If he asks why, just tell him that you are passionate about working in the company. Though his response may be negative, but don’t let it discourage you. Keep pushing so that he will be aware that you need a job.

#2 Solicit Feedback From Your Boss
Try to get feedback from your boss regarding your overall performance in the organization. However, he may not be comfortable giving you feedback, but try and push further. Remember you will need to improve your skills to fit into the organization.

The best way to do this is to tell him that you are here to learn and wouldn’t mind a constructive criticism. This will indicate that you are willing to improve yourself and he will definitely be glad to correct you.

Furthermore, you can request for midterm performance evaluation from your superior. This will enable you to identify your strengths and weaknesses. Thus, enabling you to improve on your strengths while working on your weaknesses.

#3 Step Outside Your Department
Try as much as possible to expand your interaction without people beyond your department. Some times your direct boss may not be able to pull the strings that other managers can pull.

So, meet other managers, discuss with them and get to know them better. Ensure that you always engage them in intelligent conversation so that they can see the stuff you are made of. With this, you will gain knowledge, more popular and above all build good relationship.

Also, try and attend company’s events and relate to people intelligently in order to leave a lasting impression. Try to be superstar and everybody’s boy, within a short time you will find yourself in the system.

#4 Take On More Responsibilities
Most interns believe that they will only be in the company for a while. So, they avoid jobs and always look for excuses for not coming to work. However, if you really want to convert your internship into a full time job, take on more responsibilities.

Prove to your boss that you are an intern with a difference. Take small projects serious so that he can trust you will bigger project. Make try to learn new skills that will make you indispensable in the organization. Although taking more responsibilities will not guarantee you a full time employment. But it is certainly a proactive step in the right direction.

#5 Establish a Good Reputation
Try to establish a good reputation because you will not be there when the bosses will table your matter. So, while trying to be workaholic, work on your attitude and be on the good book of most people.

Also, try to attend meetings with your boss. You can offer to help them take note during the meeting. This will enable you to meet bosses in other department. From there, you can start discussing with people about your intentions.

If you can apply these tips, you can convert your internship into a full time employment.

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/05/22/how-convert-your-internship-full-time-job/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by ashson: 6:23pm On May 22, 2018
Get strong connection...
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by 24hoursreporter: 7:31pm On May 22, 2018
ashson:
Get strong connection...

True, but this article will be helpful to those without connection

1 Like

Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by ANNOY(m): 8:42pm On May 22, 2018
I need another summer job abeg. School is resuming August
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 22, 2018
Ok
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 22, 2018
grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by afos002: 8:45pm On May 22, 2018

1 Like

Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by BlackHatNaija: 8:45pm On May 22, 2018
Beautiful piece! I agree with everything more importantly No. 3.
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by 9jayes: 8:46pm On May 22, 2018
ashson:
Get strong connection...

No
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by yemiosinbajo: 8:46pm On May 22, 2018
ANNOY:
I need another summer job abeg. School is resuming August
What school is that?
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by BigBrother9ja: 8:47pm On May 22, 2018
Story

A country where you even need connections to get internship placements, and you'll not even get paid.
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by Cutehector(m): 8:47pm On May 22, 2018
Sleep with the boss... cheesy

Just kidding.
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by McPerry(f): 8:48pm On May 22, 2018
It depends on the coy
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by Dsholla: 8:52pm On May 22, 2018
I just graduated but haven't served, can I apply for intern?
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by kollinpowel(m): 8:53pm On May 22, 2018
The long and short of all this encyclopedia is to be active in ur eye service.

4 Likes

Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 22, 2018
Just be an active "eye service agent" or "high class asslicker"
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by JiffyNaija: 8:58pm On May 22, 2018
I quite disagree. It depends on the organization in question and not many of them consider retention for Interns. Regardless, intern roles are great ways to launching one's career. I have to add as well, that lobbying is quite unhealthy. Therefore, making your intentions known would put you in the desperate corner and might cause you to be the 'yes man' in the office just because you made it known that you would love to b e retained.

Take on the role like it is a regular job, put in your effort and let those at the helms of affair decide whether or not to keep you. Should it fail, the experience you gathered on the job can't be taken, which is a plus for the life after.

4 Likes

Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by kamlex2020: 8:59pm On May 22, 2018
Hello pals, I just graduated recently, awaiting nysc, am looking for where I can do internship or any where to manage before the youth service. I can be reach on 08068500544. Olusolaalade@yahoo.com
My prefer location is Ibadan.

Thanks.
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by ANNOY(m): 9:03pm On May 22, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

What school is that?
Babcock
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by yemiosinbajo: 9:05pm On May 22, 2018
ANNOY:

Babcock

Sorry, I thought that you were in the US when you mentioned "summer", so I thought that was where you needed an internship.
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by Jinyjagz(m): 9:05pm On May 22, 2018
connection lo shey Koko
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by ANNOY(m): 9:08pm On May 22, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Sorry, I thought that you were in the US when you mentioned "summer", so I thought that was where you needed an internship.
Ooo ok
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by Dafreeguy(m): 9:14pm On May 22, 2018
McPerry:
It depends on the coy
Anty which wan is coy in dis topic na? awon oloyinbo
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by McPerry(f): 9:31pm On May 22, 2018
Dafreeguy:
Anty which wan is coy in dis topic na? awon oloyinbo

Lolz coy na short form of company naaa...
To mention me just dey hungry u.. grin grin
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by 24hoursreporter: 9:43pm On May 22, 2018
BigBrother9ja:
Story

A country where you even need connections to get internship placements, and you'll not even get paid.

Smile! Don't have such mentality Bro, people still get jobs without knowing anybody
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 22, 2018
“Know” somebody grin
Re: How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job by 24hoursreporter: 9:54pm On May 22, 2018
Dsholla:
I just graduated but haven't served, can I apply for intern?

Yes, you can definitely apply for internship . There are several internship opportunity for you while you wait for your NySc

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Your Boss Is Younger Than You / N-Power: Second Payment Processing / Should He Take The Job Offer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.