Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (103982 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 12:22pm On Aug 22, 2019
D’Tigers World Cup schedule is as follows:

August 31: Nigeria v. Russia at 9:30am

September 2: Nigeria v. Argentina at 9:30am

September 4: South Korea v. Nigeria at 9:30am

*All times are in Nigerian time*

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 9:28pm On Aug 23, 2019
Nigeria’s senior men’s basketball national team, D’Tigers have arrived in China for the last phase of their FIBA World Cup preparation.

The team, which departed Lagos through the Murtala Mohammed International Airport aboard Emirate Airline, arrived in China on Wednesday night before proceeding to Yangzhou for the Peak Invitational International tournament, which started yesterday and will end on August 27.

The Coach Alex Nwora tutored side with 15 players still in camp eight days to the World Cup will compete against fellow World Cup bound Iran, Montenegro and Poland as they perfect their plans.

Nwora revealed that he would release the final 12-man list after their Peak Invitational campaign on August 27 ahead of their first game against Russia on August 31.Nigeria, whose last appearance at the World Cup was in 2006, is grouped alongside Russia, Argentina and Korea.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) has thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for his fatherly role in the senior women basketball team’s 2019 Afrobasket triumph.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 9:35pm On Aug 23, 2019
D’Tigers are good enough to advance to the quarterfinals or beyond
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 2:33pm On Aug 24, 2019
PDPGuy:
D’Tigers are good enough to advance to the quarterfinals or beyond

Good job bro.

Do you see us beating Russia and Argentina

I believe we will beat South Korea

Seems were the 3rd ranked in our group
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 3:15pm On Aug 24, 2019
somehow:

Good job bro.

Do you see us beating Russia and Argentina

I believe we will beat South Korea

Seems were the 3rd ranked in our group

It’s gonna be tough, but this team has the talent to beat those other team.
The teams I’m really scared of are the U.S. and Spain! I believe they are head and shoulders above every other team.
In fact, the Spanish team are slightly better than the American team only because the Americans aren’t coming to the tournament with their top NBA stars like Curry, Kawhi Leonard, or Kevin Durant.

Funny enough, if D’Tigers finish as runners up in the second group stage, and win their quarterfinal, they would likely come up against...the United States in the semifinal!
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 3:52pm On Aug 24, 2019
I watched a friendly match yesterday between Australia and the US, Australia for the first time won the US. 98-94. It was huge for the Aussies because they also didn't use their main team just as the US didn't but I heard the US team is what they intend using in China, so I want to believe that they are not that strong this time around.

Yes, they don't really come with their best to the WC or Olympics, I don't know why maybe it's all arrogance or they want to give a level playing ground to other countries. No country in the world invests money in Basketball like the US (Even though BB is not their national sport).

As for us getting out of our group, if we can defend 3pts well, then we should be able to beat both Russia and Argentina. These countries are mad with 3pts, especially Argentina, as for Korea, we can beat them if we learn to stop their sleeky forwards. ALL OF THEM ARE HIGHER THAN US IN RANKING but who ranking help you no come play?

I want to see what we will do during the preparational games coming up first. fine, we beat Canada, hopefully, we can repeat same feats against Iran (They are another strong side, they beat Russia and a host of other European countries).

Spain is a mad country too, the US is just a few points above them but we know this is because the big names don't attend world tournaments for the US like you noted.

I just can't wait to see the WC. Too bad my TV don spoil. so streaming is my only option which is data consuming.

PDPGuy:

The teams I’m really scared of are the U.S. and Spain! I believe they are head and shoulders above every other team.
In fact, the Spanish team is slightly better than the American team only because the Americans aren’t coming to the tournament with their top NBA stars like Curry, Kawhi Leonard, or Kevin Durant.

Funny enough, if D’Tigers finish as runners up in the second group stage, and win their quarterfinal, they would likely come up against...the the United States in the semifinal!
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 4:31pm On Aug 24, 2019
D’Tigers beat Poland 87-84 in overtime at the Peak Invitational tournament.
The victory was even more impressive as they had to claw back a 16-point deficit!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 6:58pm On Aug 24, 2019
PDPGuy:
The victory was even more impressive as they had to claw back a 16-point deficit!!

Wow.
I need to see the highlights
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 8:35pm On Aug 24, 2019
PDPGuy:

What about the game against Iran?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by isaiah9(m): 9:28pm On Aug 24, 2019
PDPGuy:

In fact, the Spanish team are slightly better than the American team only because the Americans aren’t coming to the tournament with their top NBA stars like Curry, Kawhi Leonard, or Kevin Durant.

Funny enough, if D’Tigers finish as runners up in the second group stage, and win their quarterfinal, they would likely come up against...the United States in the semifinal!
You seem to be forgetting the Serbians. Is either them or the US for the trophy
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 11:11pm On Aug 24, 2019
Danielnino00:

What about the game against Iran?
They lost 85-71
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by darkelf: 12:27am On Aug 25, 2019
I hope our guys won't loose to the USA at FIBA and then struggle to take autographs thereafter.

I remember beijing 2008 angry
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 3:46am On Aug 25, 2019
Coach Alex Nwora will name his final 12-man roster for the World Cup on Tuesday.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 3:48am On Aug 25, 2019
darkelf:
I hope our guys won't loose to the USA at FIBA and then struggle to take autographs thereafter.

cheesy cheesy
It was actually in the 2012 Olympics that Team USA thrashed D’Tigers by an 80-point margin. But if there is a rematch in China, the gap wouldn’t be that huge

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2019
PDPGuy:

They lost 85-71

Iran is no small meat..They are the Asian champion I think. Beaten a host of European nations
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 1:01pm On Aug 25, 2019
isaiah9:
You seem to be forgetting the Serbians. Is either them or the US for the trophy

Another mad country with host of 3 pointers

Then comes the Lith too

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 1:02pm On Aug 25, 2019
darkelf:

Well we're going with alot of NBA players this time around though.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 1:30pm On Aug 25, 2019
Please I need the link to the Poland and Canada (the one we won) matches. YouTube highlights
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by darkelf: 2:50pm On Aug 25, 2019
PDPGuy:

cheesy cheesy
It was actually in the 2012 Olympics that Team USA thrashed D’Tigers by an 80-point margin. But if there is a rematch in China, the gap wouldn’t be that huge

And that's because the USA is going with their 6th team.

Imagine that!!! Their 6th team and they ate still favored to win. That shows you how good they are

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 4:42pm On Aug 25, 2019
#NBBF
@nbbfonline

The process continues!!!!!

D’Tigers | Nigeria Basketball
@NigeriaBasket
· 1h
During pre-World Cup competition, D’Tigers (ranked No. 33) have beaten:

- Dominican Republic twice (No. 18)
- Canada (No. 23)
- Poland (No. 25)
- Montenegro (No. 28)
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 4:43pm On Aug 25, 2019
This is untrue, have you seen their squad list? This is not their 6th team! If you believe it is, can you show us their 1-5 teams?
darkelf:

And that's because the USA is going with their 6th team.

Imagine that!!! Their 6th team and they ate still favored to win. That shows you how good they are
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 4:47pm On Aug 25, 2019
It's official, D'Tigers is a 2nd half team.

Beat Montenegro

Nigeria 89-85 Montenegro.

We were trailing by 8 at half time.

Came back to win.

Came from behind to win 3 out of the pre-tournament matches won so far.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by helpee(m): 5:07pm On Aug 25, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen...I was in Russia for the world cup. It was so fantastic. I am also going with the supporters club to China with my entire family. Truth be told....I haven't been following basketball. I don't know wether this will be at least half as interesting as the football world cup. I am looking forward to it. I am following this thread to further develop my interest. I hope I have fun with my family in China.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 5:59pm On Aug 25, 2019
It is a beautiful sport sir.
helpee:
Ladies and gentlemen...I was in Russia for the world cup. It was so fantastic. I am also going with the supporters club to China with my entire family. Truth be told....I haven't been following basketball. I don't know wether this will be at least half as interesting as the football world cup. I am looking forward to it. I am following this thread to further develop my interest. I hope I have fun with my family in China.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by helpee(m): 6:01pm On Aug 25, 2019
somehow:
It is a beautiful sport sir.
thanks sir. I will find out in a week. Hope Nigeria goes far to make the excitement more
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 25, 2019
Proud of the boys for winning the PEAK tourney right before the World Cup. Much needed preparation to get the boys back in groove after thd derailing financial issues.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 6:53pm On Aug 25, 2019
helpee:
thanks sir. I will find out in a week. Hope Nigeria goes far to make the excitement more

It's starting on the 31st (6 days time) and we play by 9:30am on that day.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by isaiah9(m): 7:20pm On Aug 25, 2019
PDPGuy:

They lost 85-71
Yeah it's not easy playing a game a day after a stressful flight. From Lagos to Dubai, from Dubai to China. In the same China, they took another flight to the venue. There was no way they'd be able to be in their best shape for the game.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by darkelf: 8:05pm On Aug 25, 2019
somehow:
This is untrue, have you seen their squad list? This is not their 6th team! If you believe it is, can you show us their 1-5 teams?

Is curry, lebron, Westbrook, harden, Thompson, draymond, CP3, lillard, Deandre Jordan, etc there? I can go on and on. I may have exaggerated a bit but this isn't even their second team. They are still the team to beat

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by darkelf: 8:13pm On Aug 25, 2019
Please, who can post the D'tigwra roster (with their. Respective clubs) here?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 8:20pm On Aug 25, 2019
darkelf:

Is curry, lebron, Westbrook, harden, Thompson, draymond, CP3, lillard, Deandre Jordan, etc there? I can go on and on. I may have exaggerated a bit but this isn't even their second team. They are still the team to beat

How many of them have ever played for the national team? If they haven't, then you can count them as national team players.

12 players make a team so you need 12x5 national team players to make up 5 first teams. That these names are Americans doesn't mean they are national team players.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 8:21pm On Aug 25, 2019
darkelf:
Please, who can post the D'tigwra roster (with their. Respective clubs) here?
until 27th, the coach is yet to pick 12

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (99) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Spain - Confederations Cup: (0 - 3) On 23rd June 2013 / How To Turn #150 Into #4,000,000 This Weekend + (bet9ja Booking Number) / Libya Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 2 - 3 (Full Time)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.