Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

10 Commandments Of Logo Designers - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers (18472 Views)

7 Golden Rules Of Logo Design Every Designer Should Follow Religiously / Nairaland Portfolio For Logo Designers 2019 V2.0 / Nairaland Portfolio For Logo Designers 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by erad(m): 4:39pm On Aug 17, 2018
01. Thou shalt research the brand
Like all commercial design, a logo doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and is not just about creating something that will look pretty on your portfolio. Brands pay for a logo to be created to fulfil a business need, and you will have to understand that need fully for your design to succeed.

Sometimes, you’ll get an articulate client who can explain where the business is coming from and what the logo needs to achieve quickly and simply. But at other times, the client won’t really understand the business themselves, and you’ll have to do a lot of that work yourself.

Either way, it’s up to you to fully research the company, understand what it’s trying to achieve, who its competitors are, and why the previous logo (if there is one) is being replaced.

Some of that research may take place on the internet, or reading corporate documents, but much of it will depend on meeting the client and asking the right questions.

02. Thou shalt respect brand heritage
When it comes to creating a new design for an existing brand, you want it to look updated, modern and forward-looking. But there’s a danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Logo design history is littered with examples of companies that released new logos that were totally disconnected from their brand heritage, only to watch them crash and burn.

03. Thou shalt choose the right kind of logo
Some logos are made entirely of type, while others exist entirely as a symbol, and yet others combine text and graphics in the same design. So before you start designing, it’s important to decide what kind of logo you're setting out to create.

This key step will help focus your mind and get you moving in the right direction, before you waste your time going down a series of blind alleys.

04. Thou shalt keep your design simple
A logo needs to be scalable to small sizes (printed on a pen or appearing on a mobile device) and huge ones (for instance, a billboard or an IMAX cinema screen). It needs to be instantly recognisable by consumers, as well as powerfully memorable. It needs to work in any colour. And it needs to be versatile enough to be consistently reproduced in a range of print and digital media.

For these reasons and more, your logo needs to be as simple as possible. Try shrinking it to a tiny size on your screen: does it still work? If not, it probably needs simplifying further. So keep editing, removing and simplifying. Purge your design of unnecessary graphical elements. Simplify shapes. Remove unnecessary shadows, gradients, textures and backgrounds. Reduce the number of fonts to the bare minimum.

This process can be psychologically difficult: we all hate to discard details we’ve worked hard to create. But at the end of the process, you’ll usually end up with a logo that’s simpler and much more successful as a design.

That doesn’t, however, mean every logo you create has to be ultra-minimalist to the nth degree. Consider the Firefox logo as a good example of how a logo can be simple, versatile and scalable while still evoking a unique visual personality.

05. Thou shalt make your design readable
It should go without saying, but so many logo designs fall down on a fundamental basis: their readability. Conversely, many brands work hard over time to make subtle updates to their logo to make it easier to read. Some of these can be extremely subtle, as when Google moved its ‘g’ one pixel to the right and its ‘l’ one pixel down in 2014. But the fact that brands indulge in that level of tinkering just goes to show how important legibility is, and how it should be at the heart of any logo design or redesign.

06. Thou shalt be original
One side effect of the need to simplify is that it’s very easy to end up creating something that resembles an existing logo. There are countless examples of big brands getting caught in this trap, from the debacle of NBC’s 1976 logo to the short-lived Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo.

07. Thou shalt not slavishly follow trends
We all love watching trends, and logos are no different. In fact, we’ve already written a post about 2017’s biggest logo trends ourselves. But in no way does that mean you should slavishly follow them.

A successful logo can potentially stay in place for decades, so if you try to be too hip and modern, your design will only date super-fast. Focus on the classic principles of logo design and think about long-term durability rather than short-term trends.

08. Thou shalt use vector software
It is possible to design a logo in Photoshop, but it’s not a good idea. This will mean creating your logo as a raster object, which can’t be resized without loss of quality.

Instead, you should use a vector graphics program such as Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer. This way, your logo will be a vector object that can be scaled up or down without any pixelation.

09. Thou shalt be appropriate
What works as a logo for one brand may not work for another. A logo for a web startup may be fun, cartoony and tongue in cheek, but that’s unlikely to work for a traditional high street bank, which needs to project an image of authority and reliability.

Like it or not, the style of your logo will instantly convey what a company stands for, so make sure it’s appropriate and that it’s aligned with the overall brand identity. Again, this goes back to understanding the goals and values of the business that’s employed you as a designer.

10. Thou shalt consider thy typography carefully
Using original typography is often key to creating a logo that stands out as original and distinctive. So try to avoid commonly used fonts, and play around with different styles of type – serifs and sans-serifs, italics and bold, as well as custom-made fonts – in order to find that unique look that helps your logo become memorable. Just don’t sacrifice scalability or legibility in the process.

Source:
https://www.creativebloq.com/advice/10-commandments-of-logo-design

See also:
https://www.nairaland.com/4421345/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers-2018

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by stevearagorn(m): 4:46pm On Aug 17, 2018
Ftc that's me and myself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by pweshboi(m): 4:47pm On Aug 17, 2018
Ok
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Naijawebmaster: 4:47pm On Aug 17, 2018
Shout out to all the badass graphic designers. Respect!

Need a reliable and professional website design? Then check my signature No advance payment required.
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by PigBenis(m): 4:47pm On Aug 17, 2018
we don hear... thank you
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by abumoney(m): 4:48pm On Aug 17, 2018
Thou shall complete this commandments. E never finish
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by twinsluv: 4:51pm On Aug 17, 2018
Wetin consign me grin
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by olahero(m): 4:52pm On Aug 17, 2018
Informative. Thanks

1 Like

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 17, 2018
Thumbs up, OP. I remember using CorelDraw to create graphic jobs such as logos. That's back in the days of humble beginnings.
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by TechCapon(m): 4:58pm On Aug 17, 2018
Very good
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by BruncleZuma: 5:00pm On Aug 17, 2018
11. Thy logo must be reproducible...

Don't come and incorporate every bullshit symbol from the client and make the logo an engineering design challenge.

Minimalism is key and by the way CorelDraw is my go-to even when storyboarding.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by erad(m): 5:00pm On Aug 17, 2018
Hahahahahaha...
Days of humble beginnings really cracked me up...
So what do you use now?
Please don't tell me you've left the design field.

OkaNaUbe:
Thumbs up, OP. I remember using CorelDraw to create graphic jobs such as logos. That's back in the days of humble beginnings.

1 Like

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by sleeknick: 5:02pm On Aug 17, 2018
COREL DRAW NKOR
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Offpoint: 5:02pm On Aug 17, 2018
Good points...

Number 1 is very, very important.

The only time I'm on point is when I'm on
Illustrator
CorelDRaw
Photoshop

God bless all the designers out there.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Jaytecq(m): 5:03pm On Aug 17, 2018
ok
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by saidyboy(m): 5:10pm On Aug 17, 2018
Abeg, I wan learn graphics art ooo.. Who can recommend
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Lagosfinder(m): 5:16pm On Aug 17, 2018
Graphic designers come in here
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 17, 2018
Please guys where can i download free illustrator exe file.
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Bustincole(m): 5:22pm On Aug 17, 2018
If u want a good design for ur business, check my signature
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Jaytecq(m): 5:23pm On Aug 17, 2018
erad:

It is possible to design a logo in Photoshop, but it’s not a good idea. This will mean creating your logo as a raster object, which can’t be resized without loss of quality.

Instead, you should use a vector graphics program such as Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer. This way, your logo will be a vector object that can be scaled up or down without any pixelation.

nice write up.
let me shed more light on Number 8

Illustrator is the industry standard application for graphic design. It’s the best tool for working with vector-based files.
(Vector images are lines nd curves generated by mathematical formulas. making it flexible to resize them infinitely, and the file sizes are often very small)
Sadly not everyone has Illustrator, Photoshop has basic support for vector images.
If you knw what you are doing, the use of Rectangle tools and family, Pen tool et all.
PS is one of the best SW

check this out: https://www.instagram.com/jaytecq/

1 Like

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by chubysoft1(m): 5:24pm On Aug 17, 2018
Logo design is beyond arts. It is a science.
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by chubysoft1(m): 5:25pm On Aug 17, 2018
erad:
Hahahahahaha...
Days of humble beginnings really cracked me up...
So what do you use now?
Please don't tell me you've left the design field.

Don't underestimate Corel draw. I use illustrator but Corel is the master of smooth curves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by Jaytecq(m): 5:32pm On Aug 17, 2018
chubysoft1:

Don't underestimate Corel draw. I use illustrator but Corel is the master of smooth curves.

i concur bro.
just that Am in love With PS and AI

1 Like

Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by sixtus3606(m): 5:47pm On Aug 17, 2018
OkaNaUbe:

...and now??
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by nairalee(m): 5:50pm On Aug 17, 2018
erad:
Like all commercial design, a logo doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and is not just about creating something that will look pretty on your portfolio. Brands pay for a logo to be created to fulfil a business need, and you will have to understand that need fully for your design to succeed.

Sometimes, you’ll get an articulate client who can explain where the business is coming from and what the logo needs to achieve quickly and simply. But at other times, the client won’t really understand the business themselves, and you’ll have to do a lot of that work yourself.

Either way, it’s up to you to fully research the company, understand what it’s trying to achieve, who its competitors are, and why the previous logo (if there is one) is being replaced.

Some of that research may take place on the internet, or reading corporate documents, but much of it will depend on meeting the client and asking the right questions.

02. Thou shalt respect brand heritage
When it comes to creating a new design for an existing brand, you want it to look updated, modern and forward-looking. But there’s a danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Logo design history is littered with examples of companies that released new logos that were totally disconnected from their brand heritage, only to watch them crash and burn.

03. Thou shalt choose the right kind of logo
Some logos are made entirely of type, while others exist entirely as a symbol, and yet others combine text and graphics in the same design. So before you start designing, it’s important to decide what kind of logo you're setting out to create.

This key step will help focus your mind and get you moving in the right direction, before you waste your time going down a series of blind alleys.

04. Thou shalt keep your design simple
A logo needs to be scalable to small sizes (printed on a pen or appearing on a mobile device) and huge ones (for instance, a billboard or an IMAX cinema screen). It needs to be instantly recognisable by consumers, as well as powerfully memorable. It needs to work in any colour. And it needs to be versatile enough to be consistently reproduced in a range of print and digital media.

For these reasons and more, your logo needs to be as simple as possible. Try shrinking it to a tiny size on your screen: does it still work? If not, it probably needs simplifying further. So keep editing, removing and simplifying. Purge your design of unnecessary graphical elements. Simplify shapes. Remove unnecessary shadows, gradients, textures and backgrounds. Reduce the number of fonts to the bare minimum.

This process can be psychologically difficult: we all hate to discard details we’ve worked hard to create. But at the end of the process, you’ll usually end up with a logo that’s simpler and much more successful as a design.

That doesn’t, however, mean every logo you create has to be ultra-minimalist to the nth degree. Consider the Firefox logo as a good example of how a logo can be simple, versatile and scalable while still evoking a unique visual personality.

05. Thou shalt make your design readable
It should go without saying, but so many logo designs fall down on a fundamental basis: their readability. Conversely, many brands work hard over time to make subtle updates to their logo to make it easier to read. Some of these can be extremely subtle, as when Google moved its ‘g’ one pixel to the right and its ‘l’ one pixel down in 2014. But the fact that brands indulge in that level of tinkering just goes to show how important legibility is, and how it should be at the heart of any logo design or redesign.

06. Thou shalt be original
One side effect of the need to simplify is that it’s very easy to end up creating something that resembles an existing logo. There are countless examples of big brands getting caught in this trap, from the debacle of NBC’s 1976 logo to the short-lived Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo.

07. Thou shalt not slavishly follow trends
We all love watching trends, and logos are no different. In fact, we’ve already written a post about 2017’s biggest logo trends ourselves. But in no way does that mean you should slavishly follow them.

A successful logo can potentially stay in place for decades, so if you try to be too hip and modern, your design will only date super-fast. Focus on the classic principles of logo design and think about long-term durability rather than short-term trends.

09. Thou shalt be appropriate
What works as a logo for one brand may not work for another. A logo for a web startup may be fun, cartoony and tongue in cheek, but that’s unlikely to work for a traditional high street bank, which needs to project an image of authority and reliability.

Like it or not, the style of your logo will instantly convey what a company stands for, so make sure it’s appropriate and that it’s aligned with the overall brand identity. Again, this goes back to understanding the goals and values of the business that’s employed you as a designer.

10. Thou shalt consider thy typography carefully
Using original typography is often key to creating a logo that stands out as original and distinctive. So try to avoid commonly used fonts, and play around with different styles of type – serifs and sans-serifs, italics and bold, as well as custom-made fonts – in order to find that unique look that helps your logo become memorable. Just don’t sacrifice scalability or legibility in the process.

Source:
https://www.creativebloq.com/advice/10-commandments-of-logo-design

See also:
https://www.nairaland.com/4421345/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers-2018

can one use corel draw?
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by chuks34(m): 6:24pm On Aug 17, 2018
graphic design is life I wish go expand my knowledge to AI
Re: 10 Commandments Of Logo Designers by LMandela(m): 6:40pm On Aug 17, 2018
Nice one!

(1) (2) (Reply)

3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man / D.I Printing & I.D Card Printing at Extremely low rate / Another Look At Optical Illusions (can You Spot The Faces)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.