Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,745 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech (15248 Views)

Drive It Forever And Ever: 10 Cars That Can Last A Lifetime / Mohammed Ali: His Cars And Iconic Photos Of Him In Cars (PHOTOS) / 9 Most Expensive Cars That Were Found Abandoned (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by Automotive1(m): 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2018

Most new cars now come standard with features that were once found in luxury cars while some features from over two decade ago are now all but obsolete.

The following are some of the features that once come standard in cars but are now (or being) replaced by new technology.

1) Cassette car stereo

Even the CD decks that replaced the Cassette car stereo are now being replaced with apps and wireless technology. 

2) Steering wheel locks

The Steering wheel locks that was replaced by built in immobilisers have started to become more popular again to combat criminals using new high-tech methods to steal cars. The case of Anthony Joshua's stolen Range Rover is still fresh in our minds.

3)Manual Wind-up windows

Now we don't have to manually wind the window up and down with the new electric power windows. You only need to press the appropriate buttons to do this .

4) Spare tyres

Less than fifty per cent of brand new cars now come with full-sized spare tyres (except for the 4×4 SUVs, bigger vans and pickups).

They are being replaced by run-flat tyres (for super luxury cars) and donut spare tyres, that should be replaced immediately when you get to the nearest vulcanizer.

5) Keys to unlock the car

The remote fob has replaced the physical keys in most cars that needs to be placed in the door lock to unlock the car .Smartphones are also becoming popular.

6) Keys

Physical keys to start the car has been replaced with Keyless ignition in almost new cars.

7) Ashtrays and cigarette lighters

Automakers are making it harder to smoke in the car by replacing cigarette lighters and ashtrays with storage spaces and USB ports. 

cool Hand brake

These have been replaced in most new cars by the electronic parking brakes that are put on at the push of a button.

9) Antennas

Except for the police car that still needs it for scanners, CB radios, and computers, both the manual and power exterior antenna for am-fm radio reception have been replaced with high-tech receivers.

Which of these "the then" amazing car features did you miss?

Feel free to add yours...

https://autojosh.com/9-features-that-once-come-standard-in-cars-but-are-now-being-replaced-by-new-technology/

12 Likes

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by kennypedia(m): 7:48pm On Oct 11, 2018
Please when will you come up with ones in bicycles. I own a raychell 26 foldable bike. Abi?
Since I no get car nko😉

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by OneCorner: 2:44am On Oct 12, 2018
kennypedia:
Please when will you come up with ones in bicycles. I own a raychell 26 foldable bike. Abi?
Since I no get car nko😉
No be good life u dey live if u neva buy car oo
People wey no reach u don get car sef.
Get a life... ur just like a failure if u neva but car at ur age

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by kennypedia(m): 5:24am On Oct 12, 2018
OneCorner:

You are entitled to your own opinion. I refused to be poor because poverty is not hereditary but a choice. And my philosophy is every man to his limbs. I bought my ride with my money not yours. Am still an undergraduate yet am better than some of my colleagues and I am legit. If I may ask do you have a ride?

26 Likes

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by winkmart: 7:17am On Oct 12, 2018
OneCorner:

What mentality is this?

7 Likes

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by September13: 7:19am On Oct 12, 2018
Ok
Ok

Ok

Okay
Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by officialteemi(m): 7:26am On Oct 12, 2018
SEAT ADJUSTMENT

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by Astonmartin(m): 7:29am On Oct 12, 2018
okkk

2 Likes

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by olabrad: 7:37am On Oct 12, 2018
OneCorner:

Some people just reason with their anus. How come some are still this stupid in the 21st century despite the barrage of information available?!

4 Likes

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by igwefivestar(m): 7:40am On Oct 12, 2018
winkmart:

What mentality is this?
East Africa mentality. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by diportivo: 8:07am On Oct 12, 2018
yeye thread
Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by nathpope(m): 8:08am On Oct 12, 2018
what about ''Ye ri mbe'to''? i miss dat..

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by Thebwoy: 8:13am On Oct 12, 2018
Ok
Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by elganzar(m): 8:17am On Oct 12, 2018
Someone should come and buy a car for me o cry... so I won't be a "failure" grin
Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by Igboho100: 8:18am On Oct 12, 2018
OneCorner:

You talked like a 7 year old kid.so,car is an achievement and a sign of 'living a good life'
And anyone who doesn't have one is not successful and not living a good life?oga,u urgently need to service not your car,but your brain.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by uuzba(m): 8:23am On Oct 12, 2018
Front and back
We don't known where the front is again. I miss this feature very much.

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by xjiggy: 8:23am On Oct 12, 2018
winkmart:

What mentality is this?
Zulu mentality or better still Masai mentality.

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by uuzba(m): 8:24am On Oct 12, 2018
Igboho100:

You talked like a 7 year old kid.so,car is an achievement and a sign of 'living a good life'
And anyone who doesn't have one is not successful and not living a good life?oga,u urgently need to service not your car,but your brain.

In the Bible, Pharaoh of Egypt was pursuing the Israelites upandan until he was swallowed by the Red Sea. He used a CHARIOT - wheels. This was more than 4000 years ago.
-
No single wheels in Nigeria then.

The Europeans have been riding carriages since whenever up till at least 1900 before cars became mainstream.

No single carriage in Nigeria. No wheels, no bicycle, no wheel barrow. Nothing. Everybody waka-ing inside bush. Ask all the elders in your village.
-
Until white men brought complete finished cars to Nigeria from 1900 upwards before we even saw what is called WHEELS.

Today, we are making mouth with cars. We never put any effort into making even ONE WHEEL.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by Uglymugg: 8:33am On Oct 12, 2018
Can they make the engine start stop button to work with finger prints?
Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by Jarus(m): 8:40am On Oct 12, 2018
I had totally forgotten cars used to have antenna until this article reminded me.

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by Jakumo(m): 8:47am On Oct 12, 2018
For Nigerian roads, there is currently no available upgrade to replace the trusty Koboko bull whip that is prominently displayed in the front window of cars occupied by those qualified for the privilege.

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by Jakumo(m): 8:55am On Oct 12, 2018
uuzba:

In the Bible, Pharaoh of Egypt was pursuing the Israelites upandan until he was swallowed by the Red Sea. He used a CHARIOT - wheels. This was more than 4000 years ago.
-
No single wheels in Nigeria then.

The Europeans have been riding carriages since whenever up till at least 1900 before cars became mainstream.

No single carriage in Nigeria. No wheels, no bicycle, no wheel barrow. Nothing. Everybody waka-ing inside bush. Ask all the elders in your village.
-
Until white men brought complete finished cars to Nigeria from 1900 upwards before we even saw what is called WHEELS.

Today, we are making mouth with cars. We never put any effort into making even ONE WHEEL.
#

There is no cause for alarm, good sir. Nigeria has always been in the forefront of Jujumotive Technology, otherwise known as MEANS, JAZZ, or "E Get as E be."

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by oyetunder(m): 9:03am On Oct 12, 2018
lesson learnt. In Nations where they are serious, they are improving.
Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by deavicky(m): 9:24am On Oct 12, 2018
kennypedia:

You are entitled to your own opinion. I refused to be poor because poverty is not hereditary but a choice. And my philosophy is every man to his limbs. I bought my ride with my money not yours. Am still an undergraduate yet am better than some of my colleagues and I am legit. If I may ask do you have a ride?
my dear whether u refuse to be poor or not, life is in stages. Having a bicycle does not make any one a poor person. it just means that is what u can afford at that time.
Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by MayorKingz: 9:29am On Oct 12, 2018
The gradual change from Gear sticks to Knobs.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by comotersz: 9:41am On Oct 12, 2018
BE A MOST AFTER PROGRAMMER. GET JAVA FULL-STACK WEB APP TRAINING

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by lonelydora: 9:55am On Oct 12, 2018
I missed the cassette and the antenna.

While growing up, i liked any car that has antenna which we nick-named 'Ntu Oyi'. That was beauty of 504 GR, SR, GL, and Mercedes Benz 200E (Flat boot)

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by hollywater: 10:31am On Oct 12, 2018
The most beautiful and more advanced, was the hand break. Very easy now.
Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by deebrownneymar: 11:17am On Oct 12, 2018
Very nice post

1 Like

Re: 9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech by SureDan2000(m): 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2018
winkmart:

What mentality is this?
Daura mentality lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. / Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? / Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.