Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

What Should I Avoid To Reduce Errors In My Laboratory Specimen Analysis. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Should I Avoid To Reduce Errors In My Laboratory Specimen Analysis. (389 Views)

Food To Avoid To Lose Weight Fast / 10 Things Males Should Avoid To Prevent Infertility/low Sperm Count / Hepatitis B; From A Medical Laboratory Scientist Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Should I Avoid To Reduce Errors In My Laboratory Specimen Analysis. by 2Ballz(m): 2:12pm On Oct 20, 2018
Whatever the result on analysis on a laboratory specimen seems to be,the clinician interpretation of it depends solely on its values. This in effect will affect choices on treatment and management on the cause for which subject has gone to the doctor for complaint.
A laboratory Analysis wrongly applied has oftentimes shown a fatal decimation in health management, disease control and prevention. This likely may have resulted from unchecked errors during Laboratory analysis to its specimens. Error-making is human-friendly as in trying to wipe out errors in completeness is time dystrophy. However, the act and art of sanitizing errors in some good percentage has prove better in managing all forms of disease.

What is an error?

An error is a deficit in judgement. It may also be a mistake in act and art that could result in changes from the norms. Act as in the practice( for example,improper shaking of anticoagulant testtube); Art,as in mode of practice (for example, going for an exercise before going to have your specimen taken).

Who are liable to make errors in Laboratory specimen analysis?

1. The subjects( the person to whom is to have his/her fluids examined or simply the one going to the lab)

2. The person who is to run the analysis. It could be the Chemical pathologist,or more usually the laboratory scientist.

How are errors made?

Errors are made:

1. Time before taking the specimen.
2. Time during taking the specimen
3. Time between taking the specimen and specimen analysis.

1. TIME BEFORE TAKING THE SPECIMEN(ERROR)

This kind of error is common and prevalent with the Subject. So if I am going to have a test done on me I should ensure to avoid these errors done on myself so as not to have the Doctor interpret it to affect me negatively.
Now,what are those errors you and I make before setting off for the lab? The common errors are;

I.) Eating before going to the lab.

Are you surprise? Yes! It is correctable error. Correctable error in the sense that we can actually avoid it. Why is eating before going to the lab an error?
At any moment between when you wake up and 8.00a.m,the body is usually at its functional state that has it hormones and enzymes at a common frame of reference. Eating food will have a choice of secreting higher than expected some enzymes and hormones. Therefore, this could serve as an error especially if you will be going for blood sugar,or insulin and many others.

ii.) Time

It is appropriate all test and analysis of body fluid and specimen be done at most 8.00 a.m in the body. Doing specimen above such time may lead to errors in analysis to reproductive hormones and as well as stress hormones and enzymes owing to digestion. Also,not noting changes in cycles in human species and as well age can lead to serious errors in fluid analysis.

iii.) Exercise.

Any form of exercise or stress is liable to cause changes in energy enzymes,stress hormones and others. This is another reason why core laboratory operators should kindly not entertain analysing specimen after long hours into the day. It is common to see that woman or that man coming to the lab by 12p.m to have his hormone checked or blood sugar. This will only lead to error.

iv.) The use of medications:

The use of some medications can alter result Analysis of specimen. It is not possible to go around all drugs regarding the scope set before us. However, before going for a laboratory run on your fluid it is on your side to tell the laboratory scientists the medications you are in.

There are other errors done although not common with subjects.

Now,errors own to the Chemical pathologist and laboratory scientists are:

2) Errors during taking of specimen
3)Errors between taking specimen and specimen analysis.

i.) Identity error:

This error is common with both the subjects and laboratory operators. The problem with identifying more than one subjects with same surname and second name. This problem is usually done before specimen or even after specimen collection. As a subject,it is expected of you to always identify yourself with more than a name. Give your surname,a middle name and a third name. It matters.

ii.) Wrong tube labelling:

This is also problem with identification. Identifying a tube with a wrong name niche with a test or a test with a wrong naming is a fatal error. Let all this be done and always alert the operator of any missing when spotted.

iii.) Using of wrong anticoagulant tube bottle:
Applying the wrong anticoagulant tube bottle in most cases can serve as a dicey error. For example, a subject complains of weak heart beat,lethargy and lassitude and a doctor ask for analysing covering plasma phosphate and potassium. If a wrong anticoagulant bottle was used,this may cause destruction of red blood cells and white blood cells leading to high blood potassium and phosphate which may really not be.

iv.) Posture:

Posturing duirng taking of specimen matters too. For all specimen to be taken,it is expected that the subjects should have a sit. Standing causes a plasma loss of almost blood constituent in some percentage. Always remind your laboratory chief of sitting whenever he wants to have venopuncture. It will help for a good result.

v.) Venopuncture:

When your laboratory chief need to have a blood smear especially from the cubital fossa. He will tie a cuff around the arm to prevent bleeding. But for some unforseen reason or attending to more than one station the cuff may be left for more than 1mins. This act can lead to serious error in many blood constituents and as well as some enzymes. So when that cuff is being long tied,you may remind your laboratory chief of not using that arm and even wait for some time before carrying a venopuncture on the other arm.

vi.) Handling of Blood testtube:

For some eventuality, subjects these days have had reasons to carry their blood specimen from one distance to the other. This itself can cause error in specimen analysis. With much shaking of Blood,Blood formed element can pass out quickly leading to high plasma range some elements and others.

There many other errors. However, these are the common few the scope of this post of mine can carry.

The purpose of this post is to make myself available to you as to know the test you want to do so as to have you guided accordingly. Please note,I am not a chemical pathologist and as well not laboratory scientists.

Ask me questions on that test you want to do and what to do to avoid errors.

(1) (Reply)

Benefit Of Walking Or Strolling / 5 Incurable STDS & How To Stay Healthy If You Have One - Bustle / Plastic Pellet Packing Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.