Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Graduating With A Second Class Lower - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (21417 Views)

Graduating With A Mbbs Certificate-job Certainty / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? / 80% Of First Class, Second Class Upper Applicants Failed Nnpc Exam - Gmd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduating With A Second Class Lower by eanabui(f): 4:00pm On Apr 10, 2007
Is it a Crime to finish with a Second Class Lower because i wonder why all well paying Organizations stress from Second Class Upper and above. What will happen to others.

Guess all should be given an equal chance.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by Macarthy(m): 4:22pm On Apr 10, 2007
the answer to ur question is here; companies prefer people who have really struggled for 4, 5 or 6 years to achieve a good result because they tend to do better in any field or job assigned to them than people who went to school to perform poorly at the end. I heard this at the LNG test I went to write some weeks back.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by zaree: 5:28pm On Apr 10, 2007
i tell people dat a 2.1 or first class just give people a sit and paper to write exam,dats all.dey r nt beta dan u except if u believe so.companies re just lazy everybud is supposed to b given an opportunity.nevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa limit urself because of grade.

1 Like

Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by Pauchys(m): 8:26am On Apr 14, 2007
i agree with zaree for dat contribution. 2.2 guys are even beta than the so called first class and 2.1 ppl. labour market can tell u beta
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by Lush: 9:21am On Apr 14, 2007
Big deal, i graduated with a 2nd class lower, narrowly missing 2.1 but it doesnt mean your world will end there. I've gone through 3 jobs already and i know i'll be moving up to another soon not because i cant sit a company for too long but i'm one to improve on my experience.

Your success depends on believing you can achieve anything as long as you put your mind to it. If companies require you to have 2.1 before applying to them, its their loss not yours. I think its just an excuse to cut down on looking through countless applications because everybody knows what the Nigerian educational system is like. I know of students better than i am who graduated with 3rd class and are making serious kish.

So, chin up and believe in yourself son. The sky is the limit ,

2 Likes

Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by koolman: 10:09am On Apr 16, 2007
you people should not be disturbing us here with the issue of 2.1 and 2.2. any body that is not contented with his/her 2.2 should go back to school and improve on it. The bitter truth is that first class is better than 2.1, and 2.1 better than 2.2, 2.2 better than third class and so on. different classes are established to also differentiate best and better students. This and notting much is the essence of education.

2 Likes

Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by creamyice(f): 10:49am On Apr 16, 2007
I think the issue of 2.1 and 2.2 also depends on the school u graduated from. if u graduated from schools like ABU, IFE OR any other good school and have a 2.1 or 2.2, u can be sure u actually got the grade by ur hard work and even if u have a 2.2 in such schools u might even do better than someone that has a 2.1 from schools where they use money and other things grin to get good grades, so if u know u really worked hard for ur 2.1 or 2.2,then u are sure u can defend ur grade anywhere.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by spark: 10:59am On Apr 16, 2007
i really wonder why u guys keep bothering yourselves about this issue of 2.1 and 2.2. we r all out of school. We should be thinking of how to make progress in life and not debating grades. koolman & co, pls take note.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by arinola2: 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2007
the fact still remains that we're all graduates whether 2.1 or 2.2.Infact like what someone said earlier - that some 2.2 are even better than 2.1.Yes! that's the fact, especially on the job u can't dispute that.So let's all just be focused and it will definitely be well grin
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by adejoh(m): 3:50pm On Apr 16, 2007
koolman,
pls for the fact that you might have gotten a 2.1, does nt give you the room to be sentimental and not objective in your approach to issues you might have fallen among the lucky few, thank God for that but pls learn to appreciate others and be diplomatic in your approach, sometimes our grades does not significes our maturity. no hard feelings just an observation oooooo. pls to the 2.2, 3rd class even pass, just know that God is Able, !!!
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by Lush: 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2007
I agree with adejoh, you seem to think because someone graduated with a 1st class, he's in a world of his own and therefore better than those with 3rd class!  angry Dude, you need to open your eyes and smell the manure, Henry Ford isnt all that educated and when he was acussed of being an illiterate, he took his accussers to court claiming "why do the grimy work when i can get others to do it for me, the idea is to know how to get the information you need" So, koolman ,  i suggest you try not to antagonise people who sweated in school only to be ripped off by the system

1 Like

Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by canachy(m): 4:54pm On Apr 16, 2007
the truth remains: if you are good, you are GOOD! grade does not make any difference.

If you study nigerian undergraduates closely, you will observe that most of them forgo their school lectures for skill acqusition and self developement (by obtaining various vocational trainings and skills) since the schools have nothing meaningful to offer them (especially when it comes to practicals). Consequently, they graduate with "not too good" grades (say 2.2 or 3rd class). However, I put it to you that they are better that those 2.1 and 1st class guys who cram all thier lecture notes and materials, pass their exams and then forget everything. That is what I call "CRAM PASS AND FORGET" attitude. I am not saying that making 2.1 is a sin afterall some obtain series of practical trainings and still make 2.1 or even 1st class though not common.

Quote me any day any time: generally, 2.2 graduates are the most productive, dynamic, innovative, skilled and motivated group you can find in the nigerian labour force/market.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by fabiyi: 6:08pm On Apr 16, 2007
For how long are we going to continue like this? I believe this forum was designed purposely to connect and encourage Nigerian graduates in their quest for searching for job. I want you all to realize some facts; the rich men are created purposely to help the poor, the able ones are equally created to help the disables. We should all be our brothers'keepers in all raminifications and share out of their problems because nobody knows tomorrow and we need ourselves.
The dearth employment opportunities in Nigeria today is neither your faults nor mine. This is a pandemic and an endeamic problem  created by our ego-centric leaders that has gotten out of control up till now. If you conduct your research very well, you will realize that most employers that discriminate against grades (1.1, 2.1, 2.2, others) and qualifications (HND,BSC,Btech etc) do not hold such qualification if at all they do, you will see that they made poor grades. Another facts are that they now employ more ND holders on contract basis purposely to cut down the cost and post satanic profit at expense of graduates. Oh my God that is an act of Neo-colonalism ( slavery) in our father's land that is flowing with milks and honey. Do not mis-quote me, ND holders are equally good.
Find out very well, most expatriates( foreigners) that are working in Nigeria hold just technical certificate and we worship them like God. Please for the last time , let us all try to encourage one another and unanimously stop this act of discriminations in all aspects  so that Nigeria can be a better place for all of us. Good luck to you all . Please do not be tired. It is well as you will laugh last. Hab.2:1-3. Cheers!
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by tglaz(m): 1:57am On Apr 17, 2007
as a graduate of 2.2 myself,i have learnt never to allow the grade i came out of school of to determine me.of course it cant cuz the true me is my worth not what the certificate says i am.put me to tset and i ll tell you the stuff i am made up of,and i believe that shud constitue your mind set as well,as many of us who are victims of some kind of sorts know wat is applicable in our institutions of higher learning.even though i narrowlly missed a 2.1. by just 0.14,i know of a truth,i wont miss my mark.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by ginajuice(f): 4:30pm On Apr 17, 2007
@Fabiyi

True talk dude, you have said it all. It baffles me wen most employers tend to rate u with your paper work considering what happens nowadays in our schools of higher learning.

I believe in testing one's ability practically and technically after which you can judge him/her from there and not just what someone had on paper. i also believe in self development, cos it enrishes one.

Anyway let us stop flogging d issue of 2.1, 2.2 and have a positive mind knowing dat the God we all serve will definately take us there, its a matter of time.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by femol(m): 5:15pm On Apr 17, 2007
koolman:

you people should not be disturbing us here with the issue of 2.1 and 2.2. any body that is not contented with his/her 2.2 should go back to school and improve on it. The bitter truth is that first class is better than 2.1, and 2.1 better than 2.2, 2.2 better than third class and so on. different classes are established to also differentiate best and better students. This and notting much is the essence of education.

With utmost degree of respect, I confidently state that your viewpoint is devoid of reason and fact. Can you prove your point? I bet you have not gone to the labour market to thoroughly sample the productivity and resourcefulness of the 2.1/2.2.

The fact is; it doesn't matter - particularly in the Nigerian context. I have come to know that good grades , to a large extent, comes through super cramming ability. This is not really useful in the present knowledge economy where creativity and some other soft skills hold more value.

Kindly see the big picture!

Cheers.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by ogs(m): 5:27pm On Apr 17, 2007
It is so obvious that we ve so many 2:2 graduates on nairaland than the 2:1 graduates. Do u all agree with me that no 2:1 graduate will say to a FIRST CLASS GRADUATE that i am better than you!

WHY?! Anyone that made a 2:1, knows he tried hard to be the BEST (FIRST CLASS) in school, but just did not make it.

I did not make a first class, i made a 2:1 (4.31), though i worked very hard to make a first class. I highly regard those that made first class, cos i know what it takes to br there!

My 2:1 guys, give credence to excellence! Will u agreee with me that u did not ve the HIGHEST JAMB SCORE b4 u got addmission into that department? Think about it.

GIVE KUDOS TO EXCELLENCE! We were all given EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES in the university, it now depends on the end result.
I WILL NEVER SPITE A FIRST CLASS GRADUATE ! IT IS AN EPITOME OF EXCELLENCE (e eazy eeeeee !)

5 Likes

Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by bujuas: 7:32pm On Apr 17, 2007
ogs, where did your 2.1 land you i work with shell BP with my 2.2 and because of my hard work in the SITP programme i know that you are still applying for job sorry to say that ,but try to view this world equally most first class and 2.1 messed up and could not get up to the grade that is required ask your self what happened,its not that i did struggle to get to 2:1 but for some reasons i made 2:2 what matters is if you really believe in yourself,remember that some well known men in this country made even a third class but they excelled in life believe in your self its not by what you made in school it what you can offer in the labour market.

1 Like

Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by bujuas: 7:35pm On Apr 17, 2007
ogs, where did your 2.1 land you i work with shell BP with my 2.2 and because of my hard work in the SITP programme i know that you are still applying for job sorry to say that ,but try to view this world equally most first class and 2.1 messed up and could not get up to the grade that is required ask your self what happened,its not that i did struggle to get to 2:1 but for some reasons i made 2:2 what matters is if you really believe in yourself,remember that some well known men in this country made even a third class but they excelled in life believe in your self its not by what you made in school it what you can offer in the labour market.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by fresh2impr: 8:26pm On Apr 17, 2007
I work for an oil company and perhaps I was recruited on the strength of my 2:1 and my Masters. I guess it also helped that I went to a top-ranked UK university. However, I would be a fool not to admit that if not for God I may still have been job hunting; several of my friends even those with first class did not get jobs until like 5months after I did.

At the end of the day, I don't think I am any more intelligent than people who had 2:2s or whatever, many of them will go on to be leaders of tommorrow because of their determination, so one must never look down on others because they dont make 1sts or 2:1s, afterall, God blesses us in different ways.

I wish every the greatest success, continue to look to God, He will do for you what He did for me, it shall be well in Jesus name.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by nduogu(m): 8:31pm On Apr 17, 2007
Its no big deal.Its just an opportunity to cut down d numbers of applications daily.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by ogs(m): 12:00pm On Apr 18, 2007
[b]@ bujuas,

Working in SHELL is not the beginning or the end of the world. For ur information I got my first job while doing my NYSC. Many people applied for that job, but only 2 of us were picked. The coy saw the POTENTIAL in me and deferred ALL ODDS for me to start work with them IMMEDIATELY!

@bujuas, so sorry to say, U CAN NEVER BEAT me to it. IT'S THE CRYSTAL CLEAR TRUTH !

GUESS WHAT? I am moving over to my 2ND JOB in few days time. I ve never spent a day outside school searching for Job! Shell is my next target! and Guess what I AM COMING THERE TO BE YOUR BOSS! ? I will advice u not to take this with a pinch of salt, cos it will one day come to pass cool

All these i ve achieved by the GRACE OF GOD.

I never said 2:2 was a bad grade, but do not spite those that had 2:1 or FIRST CLASS! We all had the same opportunity in school. If u tried hard n could not make a 2:1, then u should appreciate those that did. BASIC! Cos u know it wasn't easy. THAT IS THE POINT! It was not their fault u did not make a 2:1 or better.

@fresh2impr,

Thanks man. U just hit the nail on the head. Wish u speed at ur place of work[/b]

@ Nairalnders,

i ve not spite any 2:2 guy in my whole conversation, I ve friends that made a 2:2, and men they are HOT! Have the right apptitude to get to the crescendo they want.

GRADES are not a KEY SUCCESS FACTOR in life. All it takes is zeal ,determinaton and above all GOD. We all make mistakes, but learning from them is key.

ALL THE BEST!
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by koolman: 1:13pm On Apr 18, 2007
@femol
I do not blame you at all but I am also urging who so ever that is posting things regarding 2.2 and 2.1 to have a rethink and stop it. Those that are worried about their grades are those bothering us here. Even with my third class, I am contented with it.
If I were you, I will write a formal letter to the federal govt asking it to abolish grades in our school system just as they are trying to abolish HND so that every graduate will be equal. Please Lets face jobs we are looking for and pray for success and not discussing issues that can not make a change.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by femol(m): 1:40pm On Apr 18, 2007
koolman:

@femol
I do not blame you at all but I am also urging who so ever that is posting things regarding 2.2 and 2.1 to have a rethink and stop it. Those that are worried about their grades are those bothering us here. Even with my third class, I am contented with it.
If I were you, I will write a formal letter to the federal govt asking it to abolish grades in our school system just as they are trying to abolish HND so that every graduate will be equal. Please Lets face jobs we are looking for and pray for success and not discussing issues that can not make a change.

I wonder why you posted a reply to this, in the first place. Retreating? Your latest reply,just like the first, sounds harsh. Friend, it's not war! , we shall all make it. Thanks!
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 18, 2007
There is just no basis for this argument at all. Can a 2.2 from a reputable federal University be compared to a 2.1 from a mushroom state University whose birth was midwifed in the noon of Obasanjo's second tenure.

1 Like

Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by koolman: 3:58pm On Apr 18, 2007
For God's sake, Fynewaka has started again. Fynewaka that graduated from University of calabar is not any way better than anybody that graduated from a state universirty.
If he/she thinks so, she must be compared with a white- capitalist pig wearing a scallion in an effort to look like an Elephant. I wonder who this fynewaka could be.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 18, 2007
koolman:

For God's sake, Fynewaka has started again. Fynewaka that graduated from University of calabar is not any way better than anybody that graduated from a state universirty.
If he/she thinks so, she must be compared with a white- capitalist pig wearing a scallion in an effort to look like an Elephant. I wonder who this fynewaka could be.

Guy, I don't discuss people but issues. I only made my contribution. The University I attended taught me to respect other people's opinions and ideas. People are entitle to their opinions. Your reaction is an offshoot of the kind of University you attended. Please I don't enjoy joining issues with your like, but if you insist, please be my guest. I can't remember being told you are someone of importance.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by adesholay(m): 7:31pm On Apr 18, 2007
pls enough of the issue of grades,if your grade is not accepted in one place pls move elsewhere where u are appreciated,its just an initial screening to prevent croud.I made a 2:2,and God made it for me to find a very lucreative job. where 2:1 could not make as a result of a level playing ground they put all of us both 2;1 and2:2.its just by grace.
Ogs am sorry to say this ;its as if you are proud,am not being sentimental but am being objective from your second post. pls just watch it.especially where u said u will move to shell to be another person's boss i meam!!!!!!!!!in all pls let us face the bussiness of the webSITE,let us help ourselVES in job search,as for me if there is any vacancy in my place of work i will keep you all posted.(BANK)
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by ogs(m): 7:13am On Apr 19, 2007
@ adesholay,

thanks for the observation. Pls can u take a look at BUJUAS POST again

bujuas:

ogs, where did your 2.1 land you i work with shell BP with my 2.2 and because of my hard work in the SITP programme i know that you are still applying for job sorry to say that

What's ur opinion about that? If because a guy works in shell he thinks he is at the apogee of the world, does he know where i work? Just telling him what is obtainable.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by Chizua(m): 8:45am On Apr 19, 2007
It is quite unfortunate that the country we find ourself is hellbent on certification instead of ability and capability.  That someone made 2.2 does not translate to weakness nor laziness.  It is, in most cases, cicircumstantialtime, money and condition).  Afterall the 2.2 guys always excexcel other areas like ICAN  and host of them.  What we pray for is equal opportunity for ALL.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by Chizua(m): 8:53am On Apr 19, 2007
It is quite unfortunate that the country we find ourself is hellbent on certification instead of ability and capability. That someone made 2.2 does not translate to weakness nor laziness. It is, in most cases, circumstantial (time, money and condition). Afterall the 2.2 guys always excel in other areas like ICAN and host of them. What we pray for is equal opportunity for ALL.
Re: Graduating With A Second Class Lower by fresh2impr: 8:12am On Apr 21, 2007
Truth is that due to the kind of society where we live in, many employers elevate 2:1 students over 2:2s, even though the degree is not the true test of ability. I crammed my way to a 2:1. What I would suggest is that a 2:2 can never be the end of your life, do other course like Masters, MBAs, professional exams that create an equal learning platform for all. I work for Shell (SNEPCO) and a colleague of mine made a 2:2, but she excelled in her MBA and now works with us. If you have a 2:2, you have to show employers through your CV that you are much more than your grades show. All the best to my fellow nairalanders!

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Workers To Start Receiving January Salary – AGF / 60,000 Construction Workers Lose Jobs In 4 Months - Vanguard News / FG plans massive downsizing of Immigrations, Prisons officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.