Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? (2070 Views)

Mechatronics Engineering Department In OAU / Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering. Please Help! / I Want To Study Mechatronics Engineering At Birmingham University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by HumanCalc: 6:10pm On Apr 30, 2019
Good day guys. I need the help of the intelligent people we have on this forum. Pls don't mind the grammatical errors I might commit while trying to express myself.
I wrote this year's UTME hoping to gain admission into a school in 9ja here. However, I find it quite hard to choose which course to study for my undergraduate degree between Mechatronics and Mechanical Engineering. Lemme explain why I find it hard to pick one among them. Bear with me and read to the end
Firstly, I will like to point out that I am a brilliant student and I am capable of excelling in these courses.
I am the kind of student that has great love for automation and robotics and I hope to study Robotics Engineering in US for graduate studies one day (main reason I filled Mechatronics in my Jamb registration form) only to later find out through visiting various US school's websites that Mechatronics is usually not even among the required degree for masters in Robotics in US, especially the kind of Nigeria's mechatronics degree (the required degrees in most cases are Elect-elect, CS, CE and Mech. Eng) which has made me lose interest in mechatronics although I believe I can still go for masters and PhD in mechatronics in 9ja here. Another reason I fear going for Mechatronics is getting job with it in Nigeria here (in case I have to work before travelling for my masters). I think it may be hard as it's kinda new and you will have to prove yourself before they can even consider you (where's that job sef). I know the next best plan will be to opt for Mechanical Engineering but I understand that we are now in computer age and Engineering course without computer knowledge is not really in demand. I am also a student with great love for Mathematics and I am quite good in it. I am sorry if I sound confusing but I will really appreciate you guys replies and will be happy to answer any question to further clear my doubts, misconception and ignorance on this issue from sensible guys we have here. Thanks as you help a boy determined to succeed in life!!
And to the "School na Scam" guysgrin.....I know!!

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by Shelumiel: 6:13pm On Apr 30, 2019
Hi. I would suggest you go for any that suits you ...why? Because they are similar in the sense that both are part of mechanical engineering.
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by MightySparrow: 6:22pm On Apr 30, 2019
B. Sc in mech is better
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by supo19884: 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2019
Choose Mech. Engineering, put in optimum effort to develop your skills into programming and robotic system, and during your final year project conduct research in the field of mechantronic. Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by Apus: 6:45pm On Apr 30, 2019
HumanCalc:
Good day guys. I need the help of the intelligent people we have on this forum. Pls don't mind the grammatical errors I might commit while trying to express myself.
I wrote this year's UTME hoping to gain admission into a school in 9ja here. However, I find it quite hard to choose which course to study for my undergraduate degree between Mechatronics and Mechanical Engineering. Lemme explain why I find it hard to pick one among them. Bear with me and read to the end
Firstly, I will like to point out that I am a brilliant student and I am capable of excelling in these courses.
I am the kind of student that has great love for automation and robotics and I hope to study Robotics Engineering in US for graduate studies one day (main reason I filled Mechatronics in my Jamb registration form) only to later find out through visiting various US school's websites that Mechatronics is usually not even among the required degree for masters in Robotics in US, especially the kind of Nigeria's mechatronics degree (the required degrees in most cases are Elect-elect, CS, CE and Mech. Eng) which has made me lose interest in mechatronics although I believe I can still go for masters and PhD in mechatronics in 9ja here. Another reason I fear going for Mechatronics is getting job with it in Nigeria here (in case I have to work before travelling for my masters). I think it may be hard as it's kinda new and you will have to prove yourself before they can even consider you (where's that job sef). I know the next best plan will be to opt for Mechanical Engineering but I understand that we are now in computer age and Engineering course without computer knowledge is not really in demand. I am also a student with great love for Mathematics and I am quite good in it. I am sorry if I sound confusing but I will really appreciate you guys replies and will be happy to answer any question to further clear my doubts, misconception and ignorance on this issue from sensible guys we have here. Thanks as you help a boy determined to succeed in life!!
And to the "School na Scam" guysgrin.....I know!!

Jude
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by HumanCalc: 6:50pm On Apr 30, 2019
supo19884:
Choose Mech. Engineering, put in optimum effort to develop your skills into programming and robotic system, and during your final year project conduct research in the field of mechantronic. Thank me later
Someone has once given me this advice before but I am worrying about something and I am sure people here will clear my doubts. I am thinking: If I actually enrol for learning programming while still an undergraduate or teach myself and become good at it, how will I prove myself when applying for my masters in future assuming I don't have any certificate to show my proficiency in programming skills. And assuming I manage to get a certificate in programming, how will I get it to be recognised by US schools?
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by saniahmed813: 7:30pm On Apr 30, 2019
i think robostic is computer science course
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by HumanCalc: 7:42pm On Apr 30, 2019
saniahmed813:
i think robostic is computer science course
No, it cuts across many fields... Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics are parts of it. Electrical and Electronics Engineering too
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by CodeTemplar: 7:59pm On Apr 30, 2019
Mechatronics is a great choice but you said most foreign schools don't favour it as much as they do four CE, EE and ME. Anyone you do, just known that mechatronics will be relevant in the future and I saw a clip on YouTube were they projected that US will be needing tens of thousands of mechatronics people and put average salary at over $200k.
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by HumanCalc: 8:08pm On Apr 30, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Mechatronics is a great choice but you said most foreign schools don't favour it as much as they do four CE, EE and ME. Anyone you do, just known that mechatronics will be relevant in the future and I saw a clip on YouTube were they projected that US will be needing tens of thousands of mechatronics people and put average salary at over $200k.
Thanks for the info.....I appreciate
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by HumanCalc: 8:14pm On Apr 30, 2019
CodeTemplar:
When I say they don't favour it, I mean they don't really consider it for Msc Robotics....I always see Computer Science, Mech Engr, Elect-elect. I know some schools will be accepting it though as they do write "or any other closely related undergraduate degree" but I think if it's really as desired or preferred for robotics as people always say, then why can't I see any school specifically list it as their undergraduate degree requirement?
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by jesmond3945: 10:38pm On Apr 30, 2019
Is better you do eee. Mechatronics is a cut and join degree. You are not fully a mechanical engineer neither are you fully a electronics engineer. Degrees like mechatronics are good for diploma.

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by supo19884: 11:25am On May 01, 2019
Bro you don't need any professional certification to apply for US schools. Although, you might submit Gre and tofel results asides your university certificate among other requirements to get grant or fundings in a top notch university in America .

As you are intending to specialize into robotic so it's better to add value to your first degree certificate by learning programming language related to your area of specialization/ field. This will give you an edge as most often graduate research adviser conducts interview for prospective student on skype and prefers the ones with relevant skills in their line of research to recommend for admission.

HumanCalc:

Someone has once given me this advice before but I am worrying about something and I am sure people here will clear my doubts. I am thinking: If I actually enrol for learning programming while still an undergraduate or teach myself and become good at it, how will I prove myself when applying for my masters in future assuming I don't have any certificate to show my proficiency in programming skills. And assuming I manage to get a certificate in programming, how will I get it to be recognised by US schools?
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by HumanCalc: 2:00pm On May 01, 2019
supo19884:
Bro you don't need any professional certification to apply for US schools. Although, you might submit Gre and tofel results asides your university certificate among other requirements to get grant or fundings in a top notch university in America .

As you are intending to specialize into robotic so it's better to add value to your first degree certificate by learning programming language related to your area of specialization/ field. This will give you an edge as most often graduate research adviser conducts interview for prospective student on skype and prefers the ones with relevant skills in their line of research to recommend for admission.

Okay... Gracias
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by Olufemisamuel: 11:21am On Jun 30, 2020
Truth be told, Mechatronics engineering is the best engineering course in Nigeria and the world. This single engineering discipline encompasses several other engineering practices and knowledge. It incorporates the core of mechanical, electrical, electronic, computer, telecommunication, and software engineering knowledge and practices to design and develop complex hybrid systems.
You can find out in details about mechatronics engineering @ https://careerquakers.com/what-do-mechatronics-engineers-do-salary-education/

Yes, if you study mechatronics engineering, you may yourself very marketable. Mechatronics engineering paves the way for a variegated number of jobs, as well as career opportunities than mechanical engineering.
The only disadvantage that you may encounter while studying the course is for the fact that the mechatronics engineering would present more intricacies or complications. This is because of the extra workload you will have to carry while studying the course. This is because mechatronics engineering is a multi-disciplinary course.
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by von02: 10:02pm On Jan 16, 2021
Olufemisamuel:
Truth be told, Mechatronics engineering is the best engineering course in Nigeria and the world. This single engineering discipline encompasses several other engineering practices and knowledge. It incorporates the core of mechanical, electrical, electronic, computer, telecommunication, and software engineering knowledge and practices to design and develop complex hybrid systems.
You can find out in details about mechatronics engineering @ https://careerquakers.com/what-do-mechatronics-engineers-do-salary-education/

Yes, if you study mechatronics engineering, you may yourself very marketable. Mechatronics engineering paves the way for a variegated number of jobs, as well as career opportunities than mechanical engineering.
The only disadvantage that you may encounter while studying the course is for the fact that the mechatronics engineering would present more intricacies or complications. This is because of the extra workload you will have to carry while studying the course. This is because mechatronics engineering is a multi-disciplinary course.
Is there any other disadvantage?
Re: Mechanical Or Mechatronics Engineering? by tobechi74: 6:59am On Jan 17, 2021
No foreign university will reject you for having a first degree in mechatronics.
It is not stated in their entry requirements because only few university offer the program in first degree

(1) (Reply)

ABU SBRS List Is Out / Jim Ovia Foundation Scholarship MUSTE 2019/2020 / Bbnaija: This Weekend Whitemoney Will Be Evicted, GEJ Next President- Lady Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.