Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

I Have Made It! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Have Made It! (1354 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Made It! by Orikinla(m): 6:13am On May 03, 2007
I got three rejection slips and then the same American publishers accepted my childhood recollections of the Nigerian civil war and the publishers will give me 40% of the royalties if I don't give the story to another publisher.

I have given them the rights to the print, audio, video and film rights to the true life story of a Biafran child.

I won't mention the title for security reasons, because the title alone is a best seller.

This is a major literary break through not only for me, but for Nigerian literature.

The story is from my yet to be published 480 pages novel, Man of the Earth.
Re: I Have Made It! by Nobody: 6:29am On May 03, 2007
congratulations! . . . its nice to see people who believe in their dreams achieve the results of their hardwork & perseverance. smiley
Re: I Have Made It! by newera(f): 8:18am On May 03, 2007
Hearty Congratulations!!!

I believe in the Nigerian talent. In the past few years, many have found the courage to express it and now it is being celebrated.

It started with football, then Music and now literature. I think we should all watch out, because this is just the beginning!
Re: I Have Made It! by jesusfreak(f): 10:53am On May 03, 2007
y am i not surprised?

its the genius right? grin tongue
Re: I Have Made It! by SMC(f): 6:26pm On May 03, 2007
Orikinla:

I got three rejection slips and then the same American publishers accepted my childhood recollections of the Nigerian civil war and the publishers will give me 40% of the royalties if I don't give the story to another publisher.

I have given them the rights to the print, audio, video and film rights to the true life story of a Biafran child.

I won't mention the title for security reasons, because the title alone is a best seller.

This is a major literary break through not only for me, but for Nigerian literature.

The story is from my yet to be published 480 pages novel, Man of the Earth.

I believe Congratulations are in order!!! Hopefully, we will be seeing your book on the shelves everywhere. grin

For your sake, I hope you have not signed away all rights to the book, especially[b] exclusive[/b] movie rights because if the book is as good as you say it is, somebody somewhere might be interested. As a lawyer, I'd advice you to read the contract carefully (especially the small print) and make sure that your solicitor goes through every documentation on the matter.

Once again, Well done!!!
Re: I Have Made It! by Orikinla(m): 7:13pm On May 03, 2007
SMC,
The process is cumbersome and I just want a publisher that can increase the mileage of my writings. Most of the requirements are not applicable to a writer in Nigeria, such as SSN, EIN, or TIN.

I have an attorney, but I won't bother her.

They asked for my agent and manager.

I am my own agent and manager.

I just want to be published by a notable publisher, because the major publishers like Random House and Jonathan Cape have the network to attract top flight literary critics and reviewers.
We don't have all these in Nigeria.

I am trying to learn how their system works. How their books sell in millions.
I don't want to wait for 20 years to sell millions of copies.

Jesusfreak,
There is a genius in everyone.
And until we realize this fact, Nigeria will continue to grope in the darkness of underdevelopment and continue to waste our awesome natural resourses and human capital.

I know perfectly what I am doing by posting all these online.

For every published Chimamanda and Habila, there are thousands more waiting to be published and many of them have died unknown and unsung. Because of the intellectual ignorance of most Nigerians.

I still have manuscripts awaiting publication with a major Nigerian publisher since 1987 when I signed the publishing contract in Enugu to date. I have 8 novels awaiting publication and other writings. As Chimamanda said, that if she had not migrated to the US, she would still be struggling to get published in Nigeria.

What happened to the African Writers series?
What happened to the Longman Drumbeat and Gong series?
What happened to the Pacesetters series?

What happened to all the manuscripts submitted for the above series?
What happened to the writers?

Most of them have given up.
Some have have even given up the ghost without getting published.
They couldn't afford to pay for self-publication.

I want to break all the barriers and images in public.

What I am doing is a project. And I am the guinea pig of the experiment.
Because, others are scared to leave their comfort zones and dare to pass through the crucible.
Re: I Have Made It! by jesusfreak(f): 7:15pm On May 03, 2007
i enjoy ur writings but ive got a question for u,

y are u damn controversial on this forum?

just curious brov, not hating grin
Re: I Have Made It! by SMC(f): 8:20pm On May 03, 2007
Orikinla:

SMC,
The process is cumbersome and I just want a publisher that can increase the mileage of my writings. Most of the requirements are not applicable to a writer in Nigeria, such as SSN, EIN, or TIN.

I have an attorney, but I won't bother her.

They asked for my agent and manager.

I am my own agent and manager.

I just want to be published by a notable publisher, because the major publishers like Random House and Jonathan Cape have the network to attract top flight literary critics and reviewers.
We don't have all these in Nigeria.

I am trying to learn how their system works. How their books sell in millions.
I don't want to wait for 20 years to sell millions of copies.

At this stage, I'd like to say that based on what you have written above, I think the title of this thread is quite premature. Nevertheless, let me give you some free friendly advice. You will be committing financial/commercial and intellectual suicide if you decide to go through the process without having one expert or the other oversee things. I do not know how involving your solicitor will be "bothering" her, as surely this is her job. It is very important that you have her check the contract out especially as you say that you neither have a manager nor an agent.  You say that you want to learn how the western publishing system works, anyone worth their salt will tell you that it is a very bad idea for the author to act alone without professional advice. Remember you will be coming against people/establishments that have a great legal team going over everything and they can smell an easy target a mile off.

Talk to your solicitor, if it is an issue regarding her remuneration, you can come to an agreement with her as to gradual payment or payment when you receive your royalty. This may end up being an investment that will save you tons of money or which will prevent you from signing away your sweat.

At the end of the day, it is your work and your decision so you can do as you please. All I can say is think carefully before you act. Wishing you the best.
Re: I Have Made It! by mrmayor(m): 7:53pm On May 04, 2007
Just like the Redneck Lizard said to himself when he fell from the palm tree "If no one praises me,I will praise myself".The self adulation continues
Re: I Have Made It! by Seun(m): 8:24pm On May 04, 2007
Are they paying you any advance?
Re: I Have Made It! by ikamefa(f): 8:37pm On May 04, 2007
SMC:

At this stage, I'd like to say that based on what you have written above, I think the title of this thread is quite premature. Nevertheless, let me give you some free friendly advice. You will be commiting financial/commercial and intellectual suicide if you decide to go through the process without having one expert or the other oversee things. I do not know how involving your solicitor will be "bothering" her, as surely this is her job. It is very important that you have her check the contract out especially as you say that you neither have a manager nor an agent. You say that you want to learn how the western publishing system works, anyone worth their salt will tell you that it is a very bad idea for the author to act alone without professional advice. Remember you will be coming against people/establishments that have a great legal team going over everything and they can smell an easy target a mile off.

Talk to your solicitor, if it is an issue regarding her remuneration, you can come to an agreement with her as to gradual payment or payment when you receive your royalty. This may end up being an investment that will save you tons of money or which will prevent you from signing away your sweat.

At the end of the day, it is your work and your decision so you can do as you please. All I can say is think carefully before you act. Wishing you the best.

i totally agree with you

mrmayor:

Just like the Redneck Lizard said to himself when he fell from the palm tree "If no one praises me,I will praise myself".The self adulation continues

wink

an old yoruba adage sadTi isu eni ba tu eeyan ma n fi owo ,bo je ni)( if God grants you a small blessing,try your best not to broadcast your self)

smiley
Re: I Have Made It! by sisimose(f): 8:42pm On May 04, 2007
Orinkila

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well done, more good fortune your way , i hope. I have always known you were talented, blow on my brother, blow on, wether you have made it or not, it is left for you to judge, your life, your goals, your expectations and if you feel you have reached a certain peak then kudos my friend.
Re: I Have Made It! by Orikinla(m): 9:06pm On May 05, 2007
I know that comprehension is not very easy for some Nigerians, but the first sentence of the post says it all.

Let me help.

Here is the text from the last rejection slip before the good news of acceptance came.

Many thanks for this submission. I truly respect your ability and tenacity with your writing -- it's the mark of any successful writer. And while I recognize the effort to outline a story of magical realism, I'm afraid that the way the story unfolds is just too fragmented and develops too many strands that are not tied together in an effective enough way to make this story commercially viable for our program.

I am unfortunately going to pass, but urge you to submit other pieces if you are amenable, and as you continue to refine your craft.

Best,

Daniel

I said I have made it after the same publishers rejected three of my stories.
So, it is not premature.

Getting published by a leading American publisher is an achievement.

I am still having problems with being misunderstood.

I posted on others more than I have posted on Orikinla.

Nigerians need to see beyond their noses.

Ignorance is still our common problem.

SMC,
I am used to publishing contracts and lest you accuse me of boasting again, let me not go into the details.

[size=14pt]The burden of my post is:
You can make it as long as you don't give up.[/size]

Therefore, take your tiime to read Orikinla very well before jumping to conclusions and I hate when I state things matter of factly, the facts are misread and misunderstood out of context.

Is it not a a shame that in a country of over 140 million people, we can count Nigerian newspapers and Nigerian books on our finger tips?

How many books are published in Nigeria in a year?

I mean real publishing and not those printing their books in self-publication.

Wake up O sleeping giant of Africa!

Do you know that more books are published every month in South Africa than the total books published in a year in Nigeria?

Hello? grin
Re: I Have Made It! by WesleyanA(f): 9:09pm On May 05, 2007
Congratulations!!!!!
I'll be the first to get a copy (with a signed autograph of course).

'can't wait to read it. It definitely is a great achievement.
Re: I Have Made It! by Seun(m): 9:12pm On May 05, 2007
Copy of what? We don't know the name of the book, neither do we know the name of the publisher.
Re: I Have Made It! by WesleyanA(f): 9:21pm On May 05, 2007
lol. cheesy

orikinla, what's the title of your memoir?
Re: I Have Made It! by sisimose(f): 9:23pm On May 05, 2007
can i have a copy , i am not asking for awoof oh, i'll buy it wink
Re: I Have Made It! by Orikinla(m): 10:53pm On May 05, 2007
sisimose:

can i have a copy , i am not asking for awoof oh, i'll buy it wink

If I post the title of the story before the publication, I am afraid that it could be stolen and published before my publishers will release their first impression.

Thanks Sisimose,
One open door leads to other open doors.

I have left it for the publishers and continued with other projects.
My first book was Children of Heaven published in 1987 and the last one was publihsed in 2006.

The publishers of my true life story of the Nigerian civil war are Amazon.com, Inc and Amazon Services LLC. They are going to publish the digital edition of my story in visual and audio media in different languages.

The narrator of the story was a refugee child in Biafra during the Nigerian civil war.

It is the story of how my mother who was a grass widow lost three of her six children during the civil war.

How she had to bury her Singer sewing machine as many others also buried their cumbersome tools before fleeing their villages as the Nigerian Army invaded Biafra.

How an innocent child swore he saw an angel in crutches flying in the sky.

How a father drove his young son to the war front and the son never survived.

It is not fiction.
Re: I Have Made It! by SMC(f): 10:28am On May 06, 2007
Orikinla:

I know that comprehension is not very easy for some Nigerians, but the first sentence of the post says it all.
Let me help.

Here is the text from the last rejection slip before the good news of acceptance came.

I said I have made it after the same publishers rejected three of my stories.
So, it is not premature.

Getting published by a leading American publisher is an achievement.

I am still having problems with being misunderstood.
I posted on others more than I have posted on Orikinla.

Nigerians need to see beyond their noses.

Ignorance is still our common problem.

SMC,
I am used to publishing contracts and lest you accuse me of boasting again, let me not go into the details.

[size=14pt]The burden of my post is:
You can make it as long as you don't give up.[/size]

Therefore, take your tiime to read Orikinla very well before jumping to conclusions and I hate when I state things matter of factly, the facts are misread and misunderstood out of context.

It is clear that the reason why you are often "misunderstood" (as you put it) is that you are always so concerned with being verbose with your writings that you fail to simply pass the message across. And contrary to what you say, comprehension is generally easy for Nigerians. What is usually difficult is the ability to articulate effectively.

There is no need for me [or anyone for that matter] to "take my time to read Orikinla very well" as you put it. Your message is decipherable immediately although it isnt what you later said it was. From your 1st post, the message passed along wasn't "you can make it as long as you don't give up" as you later stated, it was more like "I've made it, I've hit the Jackpot, Look at me, I am getting 40% royalties - WOOOHOOO" [and lest you think I begrudge you your right to celebrate, let me quickly say that you are perfectly entitled to shout it from the roof tops if you wish to do so].

I don't wish this to degenerate into another "Your Excellency, You are a Liar" saga, so I'll let it rest by saying what I said previously, which is, hopefully we shall see your book on the shelves of bookstores here in the west (I have already offered my congratulations).
Re: I Have Made It! by sisimose(f): 4:53pm On May 06, 2007
Orikinla:

If I post the title of the story before the publication, I am afraid that it could be stolen and published before my publishers will release their first impression.

Thanks Sisimose,
One open door leads to other open doors.

I have left it for the publishers and continued with other projects.
My first book was Children of Heaven published in 1987 and the last one was publihsed in 2006.

The publishers of my true life story of the Nigerian civil war are Amazon.com, Inc and Amazon Services LLC. They are going to publish the digital edition of my story in visual and audio media in different languages.

The narrator of the story was a refugee child in Biafra during the Nigerian civil war.

It is the story of how my mother who was a grass widow lost three of her six children during the civil war.

How she had to bury her Singer sewing machine as many others also buried their cumbersome tools before fleeing their villages as the Nigerian Army invaded Biafra.

How an innocent child swore he saw an angel in crutches flying in the sky.

How a father drove his young son to the war front and the son never survived.

It is not fiction.

exciting stuff!!
i really look forward to reading them now, thanks.

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!
Re: I Have Made It! by Orikinla(m): 10:46pm On May 06, 2007
My Dear SMC,
I have to add pepper and salt and curry.

I make posts for both entertainment and enlightenment.

If I simply posted that Amazon LLC and Amazon Inc, have accepted to publish one of my stories, it would be pedestrian. But engaging your reader is always good.

How many minutes visitors spend on a website also count and holding your reader matters .

I have written on Nigerians in America with my real name. But I left it for Nairaland.
I also left Naijarules, Nollywood.net and all other Nigerian forums, (except my own forums) for Nairaland.
Why?
Nairaland is more open minded and streetwise.
I prefer it to the Western websites paying me for posts.

I am here to entertain and to enlighten and also to learn.
Re: I Have Made It! by spoilt(f): 11:29pm On May 06, 2007
good for you. count your blessings!

(1) (Reply)

The Books You Should Read / Nigerian Writers Are Ahead Of Other Nigerians In Other Occupations / Communication Is Inevitable In Any Organization...explain?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.