Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

I - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I (842 Views)

Can One Graduate With First Class After Failing A Course? / Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. / ABU Professor Proved Buhari Victory Mathematically.(long Post But Interesting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I by Emperordynasty: 12:40pm On May 26, 2019
P
Re: I by nigeriancritic1(m): 1:07pm On May 26, 2019
Emperordynasty:
Please fellow nairalanders I would like to have a breakdown of what the biochemistry field is all about.
I choose to study this course over medicine mainly due to passion and because i wanted a course that can satisfy my passion for the medical field but also have a little to touch to effectively use my mathematical flair.

Is biochemistry mathematically driven or is just based on possession of a sound memory.

Please matured answers will be highly appreciated.
Biochemistry is a blend of Biology and Chemistry but greater than either of them. It will stretch your understanding of both.
The core challenges in Biochemistry today is an offshoot called Molecular Biology/Genetic Engineering. Rather than mathematics being drawn, you may have to contend with your understanding of Physics at this stage.
Re: I by Emperordynasty: 1:20pm On May 26, 2019
nigeriancritic1:

Biochemistry is a blend of Biology and Chemistry but greater than either of them. It will stretch your understanding of both.
The core challenges in Biochemistry today is an offshoot called Molecular Biology/Genetic Engineering. Rather than mathematics being drawn, you may have to contend with your understanding of Physics at this stage.
Thank you very much for this.
My main concern was that I would not be having a chance to do physics after going for a medical course.but thanks all the same.
Re: I by Emperordynasty: 1:45pm On May 26, 2019
Please,
I really more clarity on this course
Re: I by Kampack: 2:42pm On May 26, 2019
Interesting course if you ask me. Be ready to cram lots of chemical structures. The only downside and shame is that its not really financially in Nigeria!
Re: I by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 26, 2019
its filled with chemical formulae and structures, it's more of theory than calculation....you go cram tire...but the opportunities of getting a dream job is not viable in naija,
but u would have gone for MBBS
Re: I by Emperordynasty: 7:54am On May 27, 2019
Thank you all for your replies,
My main reason for going for biochemistry is not really for financial reasons I believe that through dedication to whatever a person has passion for he will surely be successful.
I aim towards being a lecturer and researcher.
Re: I by oluwatobi01(m): 5:19pm On May 29, 2019
It has been long since I made a post or reply on nairaland forum buh because of the question you asked,I tink am in a gud position to answer dat.

First and foremost, I studied biochemistry from one of the state universities in south west with a cgpa of 4.06 out of 5.0. As regards ur question, biochemistry is a little bit of mathematics, u get to do some courses in 300 n 400level that requires the knowledge of maths such as biophysical biochemistry,metabolic regulations and the host of odas which involves the calculation of the total ATP in different biochemical compartments. You will b expose to your rate law order with respect to exergonic and endergonic in biologic systems

Biochemistry goes beyond biology and chemistry. It is the study of giant biomolecules which include Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids and Fats and the precursors of DNA &RNA( nucleic acids).

You will be taught pathways ranging from the normal glycolytic to the mother pathway of the living system TCA cycle,Pentose Phosphate pathway,the scary salvage and de novo pathway etc...Students with light brains who can't cram will v problem studying this course because BCH lecturers r sadist they want you to know a lot within d shortest time.

As demanding d course is,its nt dt lucrative in Nigeria. Although some industries still nid us like pharmaceutical companies, breweries,Nafdac,nutritional,even in the ministries and in Oil and gas firm..The surest way is to go abroad to practise what u v studied or stay in Nigeria to lectures or collect peanut from the industries mention above...

Hope v helped a little, all z well..
Cheers.....

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) GCE Timetable 2019 : August/september Sec / What Is The Opposite Of Postponement / Abia State Polytechnic Students Protest...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.