Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil (2265 Views)

Sharp EOD 2004 Going For 780k...(slightly Negotiable) By Neatcarsonly! / Kia Sorento 2004 Engine Number / URGENT!!!!: Toyota Avensis 2004 Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by yinkobert(m): 4:44pm On Oct 17, 2010
Please i need your advice,Eod 2004 4 cylinder engine start shortening oil.I took to my mechanic in three occassions and he told me that the engine is not leaking engine oil.Before i started  experiencing this ,I was having gear failure and my rewire adjusted something on my injector mouth and since then the gear failure stopped but this one came up again.the picture of what my rewire adjusted is below .I replaced my engine oil on sep first after i first noticing the shortening of the engine oil.my honorable member of the house I need your advice.Could it be because of the adjustment of this sensor?

Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by LouisThoru(f): 6:47pm On Oct 17, 2010
take it to a mechanic.
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by yinkobert(m): 7:13pm On Oct 17, 2010
thanks for your response,I just took it to my mechanic but what he told me was that I may need to change the engine oil I used as may be too light for it that I should change it and replace it with another one.I first used mobile oil sold for 2300  when I discoverd that the oil was short i changed it to lubcon oil yet I stil experience the same thing
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by LouisThoru(f): 7:27pm On Oct 17, 2010
OK. Poster. I think you should try mixing the oil with a little bit of kerosene, methylated spirit and some vaseline.
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by yinkobert(m): 7:32pm On Oct 17, 2010
Thanks for response,Godd bless you
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by Onwan: 10:09pm On Oct 17, 2010
IF the oil change does not make any difference, then I think you should have your mechanic do a thorough check for oil leaks. You can also ask them to remove all the spark plugs so you can check IF there is any oil leak in the spark plug wells (This will mean the plugs coming out with some oil on them).

The sensor you adjusted (from the picture appears like the one on the throttle body) Its effect has more to do with the fuel consumption than with the engine oil.
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 17, 2010
LouisThoru:

OK. Poster. I think you should try mixing the oil with a little bit of kerosene, methylated spirit and some vaseline.

You're kidding, right? Kerosene, methylated spirit and vaseline in an engine's lubrication system?

@ Yinkobert: The sensor your mechanic adjusted is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The two mounting holes are slotted, adjustment is done by slackening the screws, and rotating the sensor within its axis, and tightening the screws. Adjustment will not affect oil consumption, but your mechanic is already showing his lack of knowledge. Adjustment of the TPS on modern vehicles should not be done, as that little sensor alters fuel consumption, idle speed, and most important, timing angle. Adjustment is only required if a new TPS is fitted, and then the throttle body will require returning to basic (factory shipped) setting, otherwise the throttle angle will not match the timing angle, not good.

Before commenting on your oil consumption (unrelated to your mechanic's adjustment of the TPS) it's be good if you can answer my questions.

1) What grade of oil was used as at the last service?
2) How many miles has the car covered since the last service?
3) How is the car driven, as in roughly how many miles do you cover daily?
4) And finally, what's the overall mileage the car has covered?
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by LouisThoru(f): 12:38am On Oct 18, 2010
@Siena

Yes na! A little bit of kerosene, methylated spirit and some vaseline does wonders, he already tried it.
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by sultaan(m): 3:00am On Oct 18, 2010
LouisThoru:

Remember to wear some rubber before you f**k with the engine, don't need to get your hands dirty.

you'll need a 17mm wrench, oil filter fram7317(same used in xterra)or other brands and 4.5l (4cyl) of a 5w20(recommended)

Now you have to know the weight of the oil you are currently using and volume; 1 gal = 3.7l.

Messing with your TPS is not a good idea, you will pay for it later in fuel economy
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by yinkobert(m): 9:39am On Oct 18, 2010
@siena, thanks so much for response.The Tps was adjusted 3 months ago when I was experiencing idle gear selection,and gear failure since when it was adjusted the gear has been normal.about your questions.
1.the grade of oil is 20w50 Lubcon premium quality multigrade lubricate;API;sjicf
2.the odometer of the car was at 99,000 plus when i did the servicing
3.How is the car driven; am a rough rider but cruise control whenever I travel and when the road is smooth
4.the odometer now is 100,000 plus
thanks so much while awaiting your response
Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by webmaster3: 9:47am On Oct 18, 2010
I'm also experiencing this issue until i googled it and found lots of complaints on the same issue(excessive oil cinsumption) 03-04 Accord 4cyl.

Check this: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/engine/excessive_oil_consumption.shtml

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Your Advice My Eod 2004 Engine Shortens Engine Oil by yinkobert(m): 10:51am On Oct 19, 2010
@ web master ,I feel greatful for your response infact it has actually exposed me to many thing I was not aware of before and with this i really feel dispointed with honda as whole .I used to think that honda was the best now I know better.How can honda produce sucn an engine in the name of 2.4L engine that consume oil not even fuel I will advice other that may like to buy honda accord car should desist from it because it is not wise at all.
please what did u do to correct your own as this problem is world wide?what a disapionted honda company!

(1) (Reply)

2008 Model Honda Accord Forsale / Sleeky Cars : Nissan Primera 2004 Model Tokunbo @ 1.5m / Get A Car Free From Viperautos By Helping Us Sell This Car!: 2011 Gwagon Amg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.