Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian (28036 Views)

Ovie Richard Layeguen, Delta Monarch Who Reads Without Glasses / Monarch, Emmanuel Onyeike-Efeizomor, Sleeps With Snake For 5 Days / Ijebu Monarch Funso Omo–Ogunkoya Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by AloyEmeka5: 6:49pm On Nov 09, 2010
[size=14pt]‘It has been well with me, on the throne since 1946’[/size]
TUESDAY, 09 NOVEMBER 2010 00:00 FROM HENDRIX OLIOMOGBE, ASABA NEWS - METRO

World’s second-longest ruling monarch remembers, thanks God , 64 years on

IN the comfort of his palace, Agbogidi Obi James Ikechukwu Anyasi 11, Obi of Idumuje Unor, in Aniocha North Local Council of Delta State, last week told The Guardian: “It has been well with me.”

The truth of Obi Anyasi’s statement becomes glaring when it is realised that, today, at well over 86 years of age, he is the second-longest reigning monarch in the world after King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand.

While the Thai King who will be 79 on December 5, ascended the throne on June 9, 1946, aged 19, his Idumuje Unor counterpart was crowned on October 9, 1946, at the tender age of 22.

Nothing in the beginning indicated that Agbogidi James Anyasi’s future could be bright.His mother, Akwamuzo, the first of two wives was pregnant when his father, Obi Anyasi 1, died during a performance at the Ogbanigbe Festival in 1924.

His young mother, a daughter of the Obi of Ukwunzu and now a widow, had to leave the palace, and went back to her father who took care of her till she gave birth on March 6, 1924, to James Ikechukwu Anyasi

On hearing from Ukwunzu of the birth, the Regent at Idumuje Unor, Onwoche Ojeifo and the people performed rites of the first born for the little prince and successor to the Adonoje dynasty. At the age of 10, he was sent to the CMS School, Okwunzu between 1937 and 1938 before his mother took him away to Kafanchan.

“With no father to lean on, it was not easy,” he told The Guardian, a frown creasing his wizened face as he remembered.
From Kafanchan where he attended Holy Trinity School, he headed to Port Harcourt and back to Okwunzu.Unable to cope with life in the village, he left for Burutu and then Lagos.His mother had told him: “You are the rightful heir to the throne of Idumuje Unor,” and he felt that going by his noble birth, he was supposed to have a good life instead of having it lonely and tough.

Sometime in 1945, he wrote a letter to the community demanding to know if they were aware that he was the rightful claimant to the throne.“I wrote the letter through the District Officer, Mr. Atkinson, at Asaba following which he personally came to Idumuje Unor to inquire about me.

“He wrote back on May 18, 1945 telling me he had visited Idumuje Unor and that the people did not know me.

He said if I had any claim to the throne, I should state so to the Village Council.”
But it was not easy ascending the throne, as there were several pretenders to the throne until the District Officer, Mr. R. M. Haig confirmed the veracity of his claim as supported by the regent, Onwoche Ojeifo.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28552:it-has-been-well-with-me-in-the-throne-since-1946&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558

1 Like

Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Nobody: 6:19am On Jun 16, 2013
Aloy+Emeka:
[size=14pt]‘It has been well with me, on the throne since 1946’[/size]
TUESDAY, 09 NOVEMBER 2010 00:00 FROM HENDRIX OLIOMOGBE, ASABA NEWS - METRO

World’s second-longest ruling monarch remembers, thanks God , 64 years on

IN the comfort of his palace, Agbogidi Obi James Ikechukwu Anyasi 11, Obi of Idumuje Unor, in Aniocha North Local Council of Delta State, last week told The Guardian: “It has been well with me.”

The truth of Obi Anyasi’s statement becomes glaring when it is realised that, today, at well over 86 years of age, he is the second-longest reigning monarch in the world after King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand.

While the Thai King who will be 79 on December 5, ascended the throne on June 9, 1946, aged 19, his Idumuje Unor counterpart was crowned on October 9, 1946, at the tender age of 22.

Nothing in the beginning indicated that Agbogidi James Anyasi’s future could be bright.His mother, Akwamuzo, the first of two wives was pregnant when his father, Obi Anyasi 1, died during a performance at the Ogbanigbe Festival in 1924.

His young mother, a daughter of the Obi of Ukwunzu and now a widow, had to leave the palace, and went back to her father who took care of her till she gave birth on March 6, 1924, to James Ikechukwu Anyasi

On hearing from Ukwunzu of the birth, the Regent at Idumuje Unor, Onwoche Ojeifo and the people performed rites of the first born for the little prince and successor to the Adonoje dynasty. At the age of 10, he was sent to the CMS School, Okwunzu between 1937 and 1938 before his mother took him away to Kafanchan.

“With no father to lean on, it was not easy,” he told The Guardian, a frown creasing his wizened face as he remembered.
From Kafanchan where he attended Holy Trinity School, he headed to Port Harcourt and back to Okwunzu.Unable to cope with life in the village, he left for Burutu and then Lagos.His mother had told him: “You are the rightful heir to the throne of Idumuje Unor,” and he felt that going by his noble birth, he was supposed to have a good life instead of having it lonely and tough.

Sometime in 1945, he wrote a letter to the community demanding to know if they were aware that he was the rightful claimant to the throne.“I wrote the letter through the District Officer, Mr. Atkinson, at Asaba following which he personally came to Idumuje Unor to inquire about me.

“He wrote back on May 18, 1945 telling me he had visited Idumuje Unor and that the people did not know me.

He said if I had any claim to the throne, I should state so to the Village Council.”
But it was not easy ascending the throne, as there were several pretenders to the throne until the District Officer, Mr. R. M. Haig confirmed the veracity of his claim as supported by the regent, Onwoche Ojeifo.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28552:it-has-been-well-with-me-in-the-throne-since-1946&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558
Okay, I don comment grin
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Linoversace: 6:41am On Jun 16, 2013
^ It shall be well with you grin
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Brimmie(m): 6:52am On Jun 16, 2013
Am Like WOW!!
Dem Go Still Dey Giv Am Kpekus Chop??
Mods, Oya Send To FrontPage!!

#InOtherNews; How Far Wt Super Eagles?? Dem Don See Jet?? I No Wan Hear Tori oo! Make FIFA No Com Ban Us!!

1 Like

Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Gboliwe: 7:04am On Jun 16, 2013
Someone is comparing this throne to that of Kano? The Emir of Kano controls a larger kingdom so its natural that he is well known. I am just hearing of this one and I am sure I will flunk the question of his name if it appears in a test after 72hrrs.

Long live the King
long live the people of Idumuje Unor cheesy

1 Like

Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 16, 2013
ka ade pe lori
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by chemashie(m): 7:45am On Jun 16, 2013
i don comment too o
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by fr3do(m): 7:57am On Jun 16, 2013
My mom was once a principal in his community's secondary school.
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by princemaicheal: 8:05am On Jun 16, 2013
Long live the King.
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by gunuvi(m): 8:05am On Jun 16, 2013
The secret is that he was selected by the gods themselves. Not by man.
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by onyeego(m): 8:25am On Jun 16, 2013
Great Man
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Adex097: 9:33am On Jun 16, 2013
Directly or indirectly, this thread is on FP.
Long Live The King
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by odumchi: 9:34am On Jun 16, 2013
Is this thread about the longest-ruling surviving monarch or the longest-ruling monarch ever?

The longest-ruling monarch ever [to be recorded] in Nigeria was the late HRM Eze Mazi Kanu Oji of Arochukwu, who ruled for a total of 69 years from 1918 to his death in 1987.

http://aronewsonline.com/files/Aro_Monarchy.doc

3 Likes

Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Megozuks: 9:39am On Jun 16, 2013
He joined his ancestors about two months ago.
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Amasuccess: 10:22am On Jun 16, 2013
May God be merciful
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by we0x: 12:27pm On Jun 16, 2013
May God continue to grant Agbogidi peace. Long Live
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Policewoman(f): 11:45am On Jun 17, 2013
Ok.
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by emandman: 11:51am On Jun 17, 2013
Megozuks: He joined his ancestors about two months ago.
long live the king.
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 17, 2013
u no read d post?
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by ichommy(m): 11:55am On Jun 17, 2013
Sine 2010? I no even See Aly emeka agaib, dat guy make FP eh
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Regiblinkz(m): 11:56am On Jun 17, 2013
I love such news..#BlueBloodTinz
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by everyday: 11:59am On Jun 17, 2013
This is historical
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by playmode(m): 12:02pm On Jun 17, 2013
[size=15pt]What is the purpose or benefit of all these kings and queens in Nigeria? What purpose do they serve? I also come from a royal family in Ado Ekiti but i have not seen any positive impact my family has made on the community of Ado Ekiti. We Africans need to get our priorities straight and do away with all these monarchs that do not benefit our communities in anyway.We can not afford all these leeches who do not contribute anything to the progress of our country except to make corrupt deals with corrupt politicians.[/size]

7 Likes

Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Chasitty001: 12:06pm On Jun 17, 2013
odumchi: Is this thread about the longest-ruling surviving monarch or the longest-ruling monarch ever?

The longest-ruling monarch ever [to be recorded] in Nigeria was the late HRM Eze Mazi Kanu Oji of Arochukwu, who ruled for a total of 69 years from 1918 to his death in 1987.

http://aronewsonline.com/files/Aro_Monarchy.doc

Hmmm.

Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Nyksbry(m): 12:06pm On Jun 17, 2013
Itz in our african and nigeria blood to stay in the office until the bucket is kickd..am proud of naija..this time is for africa..
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by AbuMikey(m): 12:07pm On Jun 17, 2013
Kindly vote Abu Mikey for Mr Nairaland
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by buoye1(m): 12:08pm On Jun 17, 2013
K
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by kwajahafiz(m): 12:11pm On Jun 17, 2013
Too bad, there was no dna then...just to make sure he is who he is...
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Verbes001: 12:16pm On Jun 17, 2013
gunuvi: The secret is that he was selected by the gods themselves. Not by man.

grin
Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Caleboha(m): 12:21pm On Jun 17, 2013
Do the maths please! He is the longest ruling monarch. 86-22= 64 for our guy. 79-19=60 for the Thai guy! Give naija whatever she deserves, don't steal it!

1 Like

Re: World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian by Beaf1: 12:28pm On Jun 17, 2013
No wonder our leaders are tricking us into tenure elongations, third terms etc. They want to die on(in) the Aso Rock(throne).
Aso Rock is not some Mazi's shrine or palace.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oba Of Lagos Recieves Emir Of Kano HRH S. Lamido Sanusi. PICS. / Yusuf Lawal: Katsina Emirate Sacks Kankara District Head For Sponsoring Bandits / Emir Of Gwandu, Muhammadu Bashar: Homosexuality, Lesbianism, Cause Of Insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.