Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,933 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Words To Avoid Using During An Interview - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Words To Avoid Using During An Interview (23731 Views)

Words And Statements To Avoid Using On Your Social Media Profiles/pages / Any Review On Cflead. Got Msg From Them For An Interview On Monday. / Top 3 Reasons People Go Broke Before Month End - How To Avoid It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by teamsynergy: 7:47am On Nov 11, 2019
maybe for Nigerian HRs Sha..

my last interview was done by an Indian and he is more concerned about your Excel skills than how you speak or your choice of words.

after about 5mins of intro, he just brought his lappy and gave me some task to do in Excel.

that's all.

same with Chinese , and Pakistani interviewers . they are always far more concerned about your skills than how your speak.

naija interviewers na different tory.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Angelawhite(m): 7:54am On Nov 11, 2019
Choice of words count. But Everything depends on the interviewer though. I’ve gone for an interview where I was directly told they won’t mind if I wasn’t too formal.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Cutehector(m): 7:55am On Nov 11, 2019
teamsynergy:

my last interview was done by an Indian and he is more concerned about your Excel skills than how you speak or your choice of words.

after about 5mins of intro, he just brought his lappy and gave me some task to do in Excel.

that's all.

same with Chinese , and Pakistani interviewers . they are always far more concerned about your skills than how your speak.

I am telling you. No mind them. They make interviews seem like one kyn do or die affair. They make the applicants feel so intense. Jeez, and they call themselves HR professionals.

1 Like

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Angelfrost(m): 7:58am On Nov 11, 2019
Op, I sense you mean well, but you guys should take it down a notch...

Job interviews are not as strict as you "experts" keep painting it.

Simple, earnest, and confident communication and demeanor will get you half way in... Competence, and in some cases, connection takes care of the rest.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 11, 2019
BUSHHUNTER:
The heading should be " Words not to use in interview if you don't know anybody"
if you know somebody you don't even need to respond to their awry questions, just tell them to pack their chairs and give you the damn letter ;d
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by tintingz(m): 8:00am On Nov 11, 2019
teamsynergy:

that's all.

Some jobs require good communication skill, if they don't see that in the interview, you're likely will not be employed.

1 Like

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by FakeManna: 8:00am On Nov 11, 2019
[s]
helinues:
Whatever

The Most annoying words
[/s]
trash
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Myself2(m): 8:03am On Nov 11, 2019
So OP you want to tell me that anybody who has ever used these words in an interview ended up not getting hired ?

You are a joker, I've hired so many people and will still hire more and they've used most those words ( well except freaking) when I interviewed them and most were hired.
I know what I look out for when I interview prospective staff
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by deblessed: 8:11am On Nov 11, 2019
Nice one....Prepare for them too. Enter the interview room with your own question. Ask them. If they fire you, fire them.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Advancedman(m): 8:38am On Nov 11, 2019
postbox:
The job market is very competitive and getting an interview is a chance to let an employer or HR manager know you’re the best person for the job. It’s all about communication skills at this point how well you express yourself, word choices and your ability to persuade an employer to give you the job. One of the best tactics is to be specific when you describe your work experience, skills, and accomplishments as well as avoiding certain words. Using these words that would be shared below can make or mar your chances of getting the job.

Amazing

Was your last job really amazing? Is your work experience amazing? How about your communication skills? What does amazing mean? Stupifying? Unreal beyond belief? If your last job was so “amazing,” why are you looking for another job? Is this one more “amazing?” Used once in the right context, the word isn’t bad. You can use it once and after the first one, it doesn’t really have much effect except being annoying.

Awesome

This word really doesn’t say much at all. It’s filler, overused and just sort of thrown out there. This said few of us can describe ourselves or our abilities as awesome. Your skills may be exceptional or superior, but awesome is a no-no.

Whatever

You may be tempted to use this word when answering  “…tell me about a time when…” questions. Used alone as a comment on a situation or as a response to someone comes across as lazy and rude.

Totally

The total of what? If you mean you agree, say that. It is used as an affirmation. Interviewer: “That project seems like it was very rewarding. You: “Totally!”  Or, intensity. You: “I was totally amazed at the awesome opportunity!” (Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.) You can see what happens when you string them all together. A lot of nothing!

Great

This word is so overused and has lost its punch. It’s supposed to show a high level of something, but the word great is really lukewarm. With the wrong voice tone, it can be negative. On a scale of one to 10, great is around five or six. Be specific and find some other descriptive adjectives that show proper intensity and relation to the situation.

Can’t and don’t

Can’t and don’t are negative words and negativity has no place in an interview. Refrain from using phrases such as “I don’t like doing this, I can’t do this,” or “I don’t want to do this,”. You want to show an interviewer that you are open to taking on any role or task and that no job is too small for you.

Freaking or Fricking

We all know what you really want to say, and using these substitutes don’t lessen the effect of the word they represent. They are still rude, inappropriate, borderline vulgar and don’t have a place in an interview.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2019/11/11/you-should-totally-avoid-these-words-during-an-interview/

The amazing part got me.
To the writer interviews are not based on this your esteemed mentality of employer and slave.
In a simple expression let me ask you if your BSC is amazing should that stop you from pursuing your MSc?.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Jacktheripper: 8:46am On Nov 11, 2019
stanliwise:
AND MOSTLY, STOP FOOLISHLY AGREEING TO ALL THE BULLSHIT CONDITIONS COMPANY HR TELLS YOU.

THIS SHOWS YOU'RE JUST BEEN DESPERATE.

WORD: "I will adjust sir", "I will manage", "I can start today/immediately", "Anything I will collect".

USE YOUR HEAD.

Are they not desperate?
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Sososo(f): 9:05am On Nov 11, 2019
Cutehector post=8392089iri4:
All these rules... Do this , do that.. Dont do this, dont do that...

Traaaaaaaaaaash. When the lord has signed your progess, nothing can stop you .
I hear you sir. Ride on pastor! I like this
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by teamsynergy: 9:06am On Nov 11, 2019
tintingz:

Some jobs require good communication skill, if they don't see that in the interview, you're likely will not be employed.

I know.

however , some Nigerian HRs I have encountered pay too much attention to your communication skills even if you are applying for a technical position.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Sososo(f): 9:06am On Nov 11, 2019
TooNoisy:
very soon, you will say we shouldnt even talk during interviews. Very funny

The only two I agree with are "whatever" and "freaking". As for the rest, they can be used depending on the context!
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Progress62(m): 9:06am On Nov 11, 2019
BUSHHUNTER:
The heading should be " Words not to use in interview if you don't know anybody"
You are a real Nigerian
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Sososo(f): 9:08am On Nov 11, 2019
IvarTheBoneless:
grin

Note : I didn't want the job... My guardian forced me to the interview.

Boss : "Tell me what you got ?"

Me : " Your wife's p*ssy on my breath"

Boss : " No one has ever talked to me like that"

Me : "That's because their mouths were full with her box"

Boss : " You got guts... you are hired"

Me : " Shiit" undecided
is this a movie
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Pelumao(m): 9:10am On Nov 11, 2019
May God help us
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Ajibade123(m): 9:14am On Nov 11, 2019
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by IamAtikulate: 9:20am On Nov 11, 2019
Interview in Nigeria is not difficult, that is why we find it difficult to hire top talents.

They are only concerned about your communication skills and what you have done in the past and why you left your last job.

Just tell them when I was at.... I did this and we achieved that.

If they ask you why you are leaving your previous job, just tell them you are moving close to the job location soon and you want to be closer to your work place.

If they ask for salary, give them range. If you want 100k, tell them 100-165k and stick to it.

If they ask your previous salary, tell them you prefer to keep that personal.

Are you working before? Yes, even if you are not.

What will you bring to this organisation? Vomit those those things on the job specification and showed them you have done it before , even if you have not. When I was at .... We did this and achieve that ....

Before leaving, ask them "what us your minimum expectations within the first 90 days?

Has this position filled before?

If yes, why is it vacant.

Finally, do you think I am coming back? They won't tell you, press for it.

Shikena!!!

The most important thing is getting the invite.

2 Likes

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by stanliwise(m): 9:54am On Nov 11, 2019
Jacktheripper:

Are they not desperate?
Everyone is desperate and insecure about something but you're finished if you fall in the wrong people ready to manipulate you on that desperation.

Fake confidence and safety until you find genuine people who you trust.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by glassy(f): 9:54am On Nov 11, 2019
teamsynergy:

that's all.

don't mind them
they check how you dress
Check how you sit on the "hot seat"
Check how you keep your hands
check you in and out and most times, they end up not asking you questions related to the role you are being interviewed for...
we copy and over do

1 Like

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by IvarTheBoneless: 9:57am On Nov 11, 2019
Sososo:
is this a movie

TED featuring Mark Wahlberg. You need to watch the scene... super funny.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by tintingz(m): 9:58am On Nov 11, 2019
teamsynergy:

I know.

however , some Nigerian HRs I have encountered pay too much attention to your communication skills even if you are applying for a technical position.
Yes you're right.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by cybriz82(m): 10:12am On Nov 11, 2019
TooNoisy:
very soon, you will say we shouldnt even talk during interviews.

The only two I agree with are "whatever" and "freaking". As for the rest, they can be used depending on the context!

No mind am..i shudnt use no,cant,n dont even if they ask me weda i can leak their ass..
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Brightgem(f): 1:45pm On Nov 11, 2019
livebyday:
[s][/s]

Trash

Know the right people. You will get the job even if you use pidgin in the interview
Infact you won't attend any serious Interview

Posts like this are of no use to any Nigerian job seeker
Just know the right person

Case closed
This is a why you may never get a job. It's okay to calm down and learn
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by livebyday(m): 3:13pm On Nov 11, 2019
[s]
Brightgem:
This is a why you may never get a job. It's okay to calm down and learn
[/s]

Done?
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by iPopAlomo(m): 3:18pm On Nov 11, 2019
I totally used all the words the OP listed and i got a really good job...

In Canada.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Brightgem(f): 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
livebyday:
[s][/s]

Done?
Not quite, and if you do have a job, it should be taken away from you and given someone else based on merit, cuz you obviously cut corners in the name of connection. Now I'm done. Bye.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by livebyday(m): 10:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
[s]
Brightgem:
Not quite, and if you do have a job, it should be taken away from you and given someone else based on merit, cuz you obviously cut corners in the name of connection. Now I'm done. Bye.
[/s]

grin

Alright since you are done , do have a nice life

Sucks to be you right ? grin

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Reasons You’ll Never Earn More Money. / How Do I Save And Invest From My Salary? / IGP Usman Appoints Inuwa As Force Secretary, Retains Mba, Owohunwa As PRO, PSO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.