Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,466 members, 7,781,347 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:55 PM

Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? (1350 Views)

At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? / Learn Programming, Graphics & Animation Free!!: Nairaland Group Project / I Want To Learn Programming, Where Do I Start From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? by LoyalRccgMember: 1:56pm On Dec 02, 2019
Hey guys, I'm 20 turning 21 next year. So, I'm interested in programming. Game and android programming specifically. For game programming, I know there's C++ (Unreal engine) and C# (unity engine) involved. As for android, I think it's java right? My question is, which language can I start with? I have a core I5 HP laptop which I just use to play games and watch movies lol. Though I've been learning graphics design lately (Corel draw and Photoshop). Please if it's possible for me to learn programming, I'll be grateful if someone could help me with the names of the softwares I might need in running the codes also, online sites to learn programming will be very helpful. Thank you all in advance
Re: Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? by chukwuibuipob: 2:00pm On Dec 02, 2019
sad at 21,u are still young.76 yrs old pipu still dey go sch .If Nothing stop u from doing graphics design etc with ur lappy,then u can learn programming too.Go see pipu in dat field to train/teach u.Wish u well

1 Like

Re: Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 02, 2019
Yah as a beginner start with c#(Unity) just go to YouTube and subscribe to the Brackeys channel. They have lots of amazing unity tutorials. But advice from someone who knows the strength of C++ use Unreal though you must learn c++ before jumping into game programming.
As for Android and java sorry don't like the language and I don't use it.

For C# and C++ get Visual Studio the full ide download it from Microsoft's website use the community license(it is free) do not think of downloading a disc image(ISO file). And by the way Unreal is a paid software so just get Unity for now. Ehen get Godot Engine it's very small and supports c# and c++ at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? by progeek37(m): 7:52am On Dec 03, 2019
LoyalRccgMember:
Hey guys, I'm 20 turning 21 next year. So, I'm interested in programming. Game and android programming specifically. For game programming, I know there's C++ (Unreal engine) and C# (unity engine) involved. As for android, I think it's java right? My question is, which language can I start with? I have a core I5 HP laptop which I just use to play games and watch movies lol. Though I've been learning graphics design lately (Corel draw and Photoshop). Please if it's possible for me to learn programming, I'll be grateful if someone could help me with the names of the softwares I might need in running the codes also, online sites to learn programming will be very helpful. Thank you all in advance
Are you asking if you can learn programming at the age of 21? This is funny... actually if you commit yourself to learning algorithms and data structures as well as building projects in 5 yrs you will certainly become a professional programmer.
This is my advice: Sacrifice one year in learning programming itself focus on algorithms, data structures and writing high quality codes. The remaining 4 years focus it on building projects, when you start building projects you will the see the positive results of the algorithms, data structures and high quality codes you have learnt previously.
Actually software companies always developers who have years of experience in programming around 5-10 years or more.
Download free ebooks and start reading and practising the exercises.
You may follow online tutorial and YouTube videos(though I don't like them, I only use them when I want [b]quick[b/]grasp not [b]solid[b/] grasp of any new technologies, in my learning curves I used mostly PDF books).
More importantly you need a tutor and to associate yourself with fellow programmers.
You may join my new CAA group or my tutorial group which is done via the Zoom app, the Zoom app allows computer screen sharing. The tutorial is available in Python, Java and C#. I still recommend Java or C# for beginners. But whatever be the case go for your choice.
Re: Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? by soleexx(m): 11:25am On Dec 03, 2019
For now why don't you master your Graphic and become expert then you cam focus fill time on C++..... A Graphic designer That can program will definitely have the most beautiful creative design view

1 Like

Re: Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? by talk2hb1(m): 5:45pm On Dec 03, 2019
LoyalRccgMember:
So whats the correlation between Yoyr age and learning to program?
You want chop cain abi?
I started learning programming at 30 (will be clocking 35 next year), I code in 4 languages (Java, C#, JavaScript, Php). If you need to learn to program Age is not enough excuse. Eskis sah, step one go and buy learner Tag (Written in Uppercase) and wear round your neighborhood for two weeks, then come back here for more instructions.
Re: Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? by babihouse(m): 6:17pm On Dec 03, 2019
Sure You can learn at any age : Get very Video courses here : http://freecoursecamp.com
Re: Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? by SamzackD(m): 8:48am On Dec 04, 2019
LoyalRccgMember:

I'll advice you go for game development with Unity engine, you'll find out C# is very easy to learn when you're solving real problems, like giving commands to game objects,

take it from a game developer, unity engine is fun to use and the community is very large, anything you want to do, there is already an asset out there that will help shorten your production time, (say you want to make a car racing game, there are assets for different types of cars, and assets that help you write the physics of the car, such as acceleration, grip, brakes etc. and all you'll have to do is design the game scenes and write the racing mission),

there is a lot you can do with unity engine, just be committed to learn and understand the engine because at first it could be confusing, and also be creative and hone your graphic design skills you'll need it.

also C# is so similar to java, that you'll find it very easy to learn java if you ever want to dabble in Android app development.

Modified: also if you want I could help you with books that will teach you coding in C# and also how to use the unity engine to build games of your choice, just thought I should help.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Kuda Deserve Three Gbosa For This!!! / How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? / A Test For Python Guys. What Will This Code Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.