Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Simple Guide To Engineering - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Simple Guide To Engineering (188 Views)

CAD Project Design exclusive to Engineering/Technical students / The Relevance Of Logic To Engineering / The Relevance Of Logic To Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Simple Guide To Engineering by melodytos(m): 4:58pm On Dec 22, 2019
Simple Guide to Engineering
This guide is meant for school leavers but may be relevant to current undergraduate students as well. Feel free to post any comments or questions here.

Who should study engineering?
If your first question is any of the following:

- Which is the highest paying engineering field?
- Which is the best engineering field to study?
- I like engineering but I hate math and I am not interested in a dynamic, ever changing environment
- I can’t even be bothered to Google the main branches of engineering so I’ll just post in the forum asking people about what is [insert] engineering subject

So, if your question is any of the above, don’t bother going into engineering. You’re much suited at something else. This may seem harsh but for yours and the futures’ sake, it is better if you don’t go into engineering.

The above aside, it is not always easy, especially for school leavers to perfectly pinpoint their interest in engineering be in mechanical, electrical etc. But if you have the following trait:

- You like taking things apart, i.e. you like to understand how things work etc
- You find solving a problem exciting and you can spend hours trying to solve a problem
- You enjoy learning, you always try to learn about new things and are always curious
- You have an interest in science based subjects, like math, physics etc
- You like getting hands on and wouldn’t mind getting your hands dirty

These are some signs that engineering might just be right for you although bear in mind there are other field of study that requires some of the same traits.

Which engineering subject should I go for?
It is usually not easy for you to be absolutely certain about what you want to do at this stage. Congratulations and good for you if you know what you want to do, so go for it.

If you don’t know, then you will have to start speaking to course consultants/seniors and look deep within yourself. Do you find mechanical parts, i.e. cars, moving parts fascinating? Do you find electronics interesting? These are some of the things you can explore.

Alternatively, after finishing school you will almost certainly have some free time at hand. Try getting work in a local small size firm, people might be willing to hire you if you don’t mind too much about the pay and would be more than happy to plunge into and get your hands dirty. I found a hint of my interest by working in a contractor firm as an errand boy during holiday.

Read More: https://forum.melodyinter.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25456

(1) (Reply)

Chongqing University Of Posts And Telecommunications CSC Scholarship 2020 / Nigerian Hard For The Poor – ASUU President, Ogunyemi / Islam Abhors Street Begging

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.