Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,332 members, 7,819,137 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Right_or_wrong - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Right_or_wrong (533 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Right_or_wrong by IyaTola: 11:46am On Jan 06, 2020
RIGHT_OR_WRONG?

An infertile woman married another woman for her husband, problem was, she was already few months pregnant before she moved in. The man was informed and he accepted and adopted the child as his son. 15 years down the line, the man died and later the mother of the child died. On the death of the man, umunna called on the boy to bury his father. He performed every traditional rites the tradition and culture demands of a first son, and went extra mile to please the community. Nothing, I mean, absolutely nothing was left out. It was remaining the first wife that took the child as her own and trained him up. 30 years down the line, the woman became very old and called their umunna to bequeath her death husband's inheritance on her child from the other woman, since that was the only child she can boast of.

A year or two later, she died and the boy, now a man as demand by culture, performed all that was demanded of them.
Now, development has encroached into the landed property the young man inherited from his parents and they have become very costly and vast land is left undeveloped, from their family build. The same umunna came to tell the boy that he doesn't have right to those properties, reminding him that his mother was already pregnant when she came.

This young man is shocked and confused. Going by Igbo tradition, does he have right to that landed property? Going by culture, is he a stranger in that community?
Re: Right_or_wrong by nlPoster: 1:53pm On Jan 06, 2020
What is the issue with the place here?

You folks have been skirting around with different stories.

2 Likes

Re: Right_or_wrong by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:06pm On Jan 06, 2020
IyaTola:
RIGHT_OR_WRONG?

An infertile woman married another woman for her husband, problem was, she was already few months pregnant before she moved in. The man was informed and he accepted and adopted the child as his son. 15 years down the line, the man died and later the mother of the child died. On the death of the man, umunna called on the boy to bury his father. He performed every traditional rites the tradition and culture demands of a first son, and went extra mile to please the community. Nothing, I mean, absolutely nothing was left out. It was remaining the first wife that took the child as her own and trained him up. 30 years down the line, the woman became very old and called their umunna to bequeath her death husband's inheritance on her child from the other woman, since that was the only child she can boast of.

A year or two later, she died and the boy, now a man as demand by culture, performed all that was demanded of them.
Now, development has encroached into the landed property the young man inherited from his parents and they have become very costly and vast land is left undeveloped, from their family build. The same umunna came to tell the boy that he doesn't have right to those properties, reminding him that his mother was already pregnant when she came.

This young man is shocked and confused. Going by Igbo tradition, does he have right to that landed property? Going by culture, is he a stranger in that community?

i reply as foreigner, what does the "umunna" got to do with a family agreement ? the died father accepted him and raised him so was the step mum

so why the dam umunna making a decision over a family issue ? and where are the relatives of the father ? what do they say ?

i see greedy from the umunna
Re: Right_or_wrong by IyaTola: 10:09pm On Jan 06, 2020
nlPoster:
OH please
Re: Right_or_wrong by bukatyne(f): 10:12pm On Jan 06, 2020
The Umunna did not remember his mother had his Belle before marriage when they demanded he bury all three according to their traditions?

2 Likes

Re: Right_or_wrong by crackhaus: 10:32pm On Jan 06, 2020
All this village issues that are brought to Nairaland for adjudication.
Here resemble town square?

4 Likes

Re: Right_or_wrong by IyaTola: 9:15am On Jan 07, 2020
grin grin grin
crackhaus:
All this village issues that are brought to Nairaland for adjudication.
Here resemble town square?
Re: Right_or_wrong by IyaTola: 6:40pm On Apr 08, 2023
nlPoster:

Re: Right_or_wrong by IyaTola: 2:12am On Apr 23, 2023
shocked
bukatyne:
The Umunna did not remember his mother had his Belle before marriage when they demanded he bury all three according to their traditions?

(1) (Reply)

I Need Your Suggestions / Loan Available At Low Interest Rate / My Daughter Is Pregnant For My Brother, I Cant Believe This, Lady Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.