Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? (1021 Views)

Boy Won ₦1.6m, Land And Hajj For Reciting The Qur'an (video) / Some Beliefs About Death In Islam / Believe In The Prophets and Books- False Beliefs Attributed To Some Prophets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 9:02am On Apr 30, 2020
Quick answer, YES!

There are many verses where the Qur'an called the non-believers,

Losers
Fools
False Gods
Worst creatures
Hell dwellers
No other Gods but Allah

And all sort of denigratory and offensive statements.

Why are muslims hypocrites to see this? Why does Muhammad(he himself blasphemed against non-believers) and his followers have issues with blasphemy words when the Qur'an committed same blasphemy act?

If Muslims have issues with how people blaspheme their religion then they should condemn the blasphemy words in the Qur'an.

You can't eat your cake and have it too.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by AntiChristian: 10:38am On Apr 30, 2020
tintingz:
Quick answer, YES!

There are many verses where the Qur'an called the non-believers,

Losers
Fools
False Gods
Worst creatures
Hell dwellers
No other Gods but Allah

And all sort of denigratory and offensive statements.

Why are muslims hypocrites to see this? Why does Muhammad and his followers have issues with blasphemy words when the Qur'an committed same blasphemy act?

If Muslims have issues with how people blaspheme their religion then they should condemn the blasphemy words in the Qur'an.

You can't eat your cake and have it too.

O! No wonder you are active here lately! The atheist that was arrested for blasphemy!

I pray he is either judged with Shari'ah in the North or at worst sentenced with the common law.

No Wonder your vituperations here!

Why not poison your Muslim family first if you're pissed with Muslims?
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 10:41am On Apr 30, 2020
AntiChristian:

O! No wonder you are active here lately! The atheist that was arrested for blasphemy!

I pray he is either judged with Shari'ah in the North or at worst sentenced with the common law.

No Wonder your vituperations here!

Why not poison your Muslim family first if you're pissed with Muslims?

You're no different from Boko Haram.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by AntiChristian: 11:05am On Apr 30, 2020
tintingz:

You're no different from Boko Haram.

Muslims abound more in the Nigerian army, Chadian army and others fighting Boko Haram.

Think!

Once again if you are pissed of Muslims pick one per day among your family members who are Muslims. And you have many options (as a scientist/atheist) to choose from.

1 Like

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 11:14am On Apr 30, 2020
AntiChristian:

Muslims abound more in the Nigerian army, Chadian army and others fighting Boko Haram.

Think!

Once again if you are pissed of Muslims pick one per day among your family members who are Muslims. And you have many options (as a scientist/atheist) to choose from.

So if I criticize your religion, I should face capital punishment?

I said you're no different from Boko Haram and other barbaric people.

4 Likes

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by IMAliyu(m): 1:19pm On Apr 30, 2020
I mean, since it's a matter of perspective, the answer is Yes.

But I'd say it's something that's not necessarily a big deal since all religions at some level
attest that their faith is the only true faith and the nonbelievers are misguided &/or damned.
And for those that reject all faith everyone else is a brainwashed fool.

The things you mentioned are real and are beliefs held by a lot of Muslims , but not unless asked, keep to themselves and usually don't go around telling that to everyone they meet and especially not to people that would take great offense from it.

This boils down to a matter of common sense.
Just because I don't believe in what Christianity is selling, doesn't mean I would go say stuff to Christian family members I know they will take offense to.

"Say that which is good or keep quiet" this not an absolute rule, but one needs to know when to apply it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by whitelotus: 1:20pm On Apr 30, 2020
There is an arrant hypocrisy in islam.

The Quran and muslims can insults christians, jews or unbelievers then go scott free. But when it is the other way around, muslims and the sharia call for punishment for non-muslims with blasphemy law.

Before Arabs and Christians came to colonize Nigeria, Nigerians were all pagans. All our ancestors were traditional worshippers.

Then the Quran claims that pagan religion is shirk. That to worship many gods (polytheism in pagan worship) is the gravest of sin and the mushrikun are all insolent people towards God.

The Quran and muslims can be downright abusive to other religions but it is okay. The Quran can call our ancestors liars and insolent people.

The Quran blaspheme at our ancestors' beliefs.

cc Saucyxo- who believes that atheists are rude for speaking on their own beliefs

3 Likes

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by Saucyxo: 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2020
whitelotus:

The Quran and muslims can insults christians, jews or unbelievers then go scott free. But when it is the other way around, muslims and the sharia call for punishment for non-muslims with blasphemy law.

Before Arabs and Christians came to colonize Nigeria, Nigerians were all pagans. All our ancestors were traditional worshippers.

Then the Quran claims that pagan religion is shirk. That to worship many gods (polytheism in pagan worship) is the gravest of sin and the mushrikun are all insolent people towards God.

The Quran and muslims can be downright abusive to other religions but it is okay. The Quran can call our ancestors liars and insolent people.

cc Saucyxo- who believes that atheists are rude for speaking on their own beliefs

Money haffi mekkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you pay me for my time, I’m more than willing to go back and forth with you.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by whitelotus: 2:03pm On Apr 30, 2020
Saucyxo:

Money haffi mekkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you pay me for my time, I’m more than willing to go back and forth with you.

Which money are you making in lockdown?
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by Saucyxo: 2:05pm On Apr 30, 2020
whitelotus:

Which money are you making in lockdown?

Ah lol money is being made all the time oo.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by whitelotus: 2:08pm On Apr 30, 2020
Saucyxo:

Ah lol money is being made all the time oo.

Yeah, right.

The UK that pounds do not come easy?

Dont worry, maybe when I'm in the uk, I show you real money.

Not your fish and chips boyfriends hustling from council flats grin
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by Saucyxo: 2:14pm On Apr 30, 2020
whitelotus:

Yeah, right.

The UK that pounds do not come easy?

Dont worry, maybe when I'm in the uk, I show you real money.

Not your fish and chips boyfriends hustling from council flats grin

Sure. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by AntiChristian: 4:30pm On Apr 30, 2020
tintingz:

So if I criticize your religion, I should face capital punishment?

I said you're no different from Boko Haram and other barbaric people.

May Allaah alleviate your frustrations.
I never mentioned capital punishment. He should face the law (common or Shari'ah) is what I mentioned.

You are only seeing your thoughts not what I wrote.

Boko Haram do not refer people to any law!
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 4:52pm On Apr 30, 2020
IMAliyu:

But I'd say it's something that's not necessarily a big deal since all religions at some level
attest that their faith is the only true faith and the nonbelievers are misguided &/or damned.

The things you mentioned are real and are beliefs held by a lot of Muslims , but not unless asked, keep to themselves and usually don't go around telling that to everyone they meet and especially not to people that would take great offense from it.

Just because I don't believe in what Christianity is selling, doesn't mean I would go say stuff to Christian family members I know they will take offense to.

"Say that which is good or keep quiet" this not an absolute rule, but one needs to know when to apply it.

Aliyu and Usermane are the only honest muslims I've come across so far in this forum.

The things is that I don't see muslims condemning the blasphemy words in the Qur'an, but we see them condemning and calling for the blasphemer's head. The Qur'an publicly used denigratory and offensive words on non-believers, a Muslim can say that without being arrest or attacked, almost everyday many muslims blaspheme other Gods. "There's no other Gods but Allah".

Yes, other religions like Christians also do same but I'm focusing on Muslims as they usually have issues with it.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 4:59pm On Apr 30, 2020
whitelotus:

I mean they publicly called African Gods devils, wicked and all sort of demonized words.

Everyday they chant other Gods are false or doesn't exist but only Allah and no one attack them but imagine going out to say "There's no Allah but Orishas" and see how these Muslims will spark and start calling for your head.

This is hypocrisy from the muslims, it's a pity many of them don't see it.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 6:31pm On Apr 30, 2020
AntiChristian:

May Allaah alleviate your frustrations.
I never mentioned capital punishment. He should face the law (common or Shari'ah) is what I mentioned.

You are only seeing your thoughts not what I wrote.

Boko Haram do not refer people to any law!

What's the punishment for blasphemy in Shari'a law?

What are Boko Haram agitating for?
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by IMAliyu(m): 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2020
tintingz:

The things is that I don't see muslims condemning the blasphemy words in the Qur'an, but we see them condemning and calling for the blasphemer's head. The Qur'an publicly used denigratory and offensive words on non-believers, a Muslim can say that without being arrest or attacked, almost everyday many muslims blaspheme other Gods. "There's no other Gods but Allah".

Yes, other religions like Christians also do same but I'm focusing on Muslims as they usually have issues with it.

I don't really have an answer or a solution here, I can probably only examine the psychology here.

To most Muslims the Quran, is the absolute truth, so therefore anything it says is not blasphemy because it's the truth and when someone (a non-muslim) says something opposed to the faith and belief they are the ones lying and committing blasphemy.
This would be where the mindset is coming from I think.
It wouldn't even be a matter of hypocrisy, but a psychological inability to even consider or see things from the other person's perspective.

And I don't think it's true that a Muslim can say blasphemous things about another group and get away with it. It's a matter of time and place. Like you(a Muslim) won't just go to a gathering of people of a particular faith and start saying things they consider to be blasphemy and expect to get out untouched.
Those that get away with it have a home field advantage. Eg. The North being predominantly muslim and some states even recognize Sharia, so a muslim saying things about other religions would be a non issue. Like wise how some of our southern counterparts do say things about Islam, even if the muslims get angry, get away with it because they are predominantly Christian.

Now if this is about legal prosecution, that's another issue. The Nigerian legal system is just flawed especially when it comes to matters that mix religious and secular issues.

If it's a matter of the reaction of muslims to blasphemy, yeah I've seen it first hand during the Mautech blasphemy riot two years ago and it's not good, made me question whether I was following thesame faith as this rioting mob. I have a criticism of it I've been trying to formulate. In that event both sides were at fault. The WhatsApp message that triggered the riot (I may sound like a conspiracy theorists) seem to had been engineered specifically to get that kind of reaction, the christian students that forwarded it mindlessly to the school groups didn't seem to be able to see this, and the muslim students who were simple minded fools took the bait and a small percentage of those students seem to had been dormant sociopaths/psychopaths that were out for the sole reason of bloodshed and destruction taking the opportunity to cause fires, destroy some LTs, harass and abuse other students in the confusion... I'm going off on a tangent here.

I'm assuming you opened this thread because of the guy that got arrested in Kano for blasphemy?
I'd comments on that, but I only read the headline so I don't know much about the case to give my full opinion on it.

1 Like

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 9:12pm On Apr 30, 2020
IMAliyu:

I don't really have an answer or a solution here, I can probably only examine the psychology here.

To most Muslims the Quran, is the absolute truth, so therefore anything it says is not blasphemy because it's the truth and when someone (a non-muslim) says something opposed to the faith and belief they are the ones lying and committing blasphemy.
This would be where the mindset is coming from I think.
It wouldn't even be a matter of hypocrisy, but a psychological inability to even consider or see things from the other person's perspective.

And I don't think it's true that a Muslim can say blasphemous things about another group and get away with it. It's a matter of time and place. Like you(a Muslim) won't just go to a gathering of people of a particular faith and start saying things they consider to be blasphemy and expect to get out untouched.
Those that get away with it have a home field advantage. Eg. The North being predominantly muslim and some states even recognize Sharia, so a muslim saying things about other religions would be a non issue. Like wise how some of our southern counterparts do say things about Islam, even if the muslims get angry, get away with it because they are predominantly Christian.

Now if this is about legal prosecution, that's another issue. The Nigerian legal system is just flawed especially when it comes to matters that mix religious and secular issues.

If it's a matter of the reaction of muslims to blasphemy, yeah I've seen it first hand during the Mautech blasphemy riot two years ago and it's not good, made me question whether I was following thesame faith as this rioting mob. I have a criticism of it I've been trying to formulate. In that event both sides were at fault. The WhatsApp message that triggered the riot (I may sound like a conspiracy theorists) seem to had been engineered specifically to get that kind of reaction, the christian students that forwarded it mindlessly to the school groups didn't seem to be able to see this, and the muslim students who were simple minded fools took the bait and a small percentage of those students seem to had been dormant sociopaths/psychopaths that were out for the sole reason of bloodshed and destruction taking opportunity of the confusion... I'm going off on a tangent here.
The psychological part you said I agree with and I agree with all other things you said.

The psychological aspects of one who doesn't see his own hypocrisy is called delusion, even when the hypocrisy is glaring but still believe it's the truth is a delusion.

A Muslim can boldly say "There's no God but Allah" but if a non-muslims says it vice versa like "There's no Allah but other Gods" it becomes a blasphemy.

I'm assuming you opened this thread because of the guy that got arrested in Kano for blasphemy?
I'd comments on that, but I only read the headline so I don't know much about the case to give my full opinion on it.

The person arrested for blasphemy is Mubarak Bala an atheist and human right activist. He posted it on Facebook that TB Joshua and Muhammad are the same but the difference is that TB Joshua is not a terrorists.

This is the statement that makes the Muslim angry and call for his arrest for blasphemy.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by IMAliyu(m): 10:04pm On Apr 30, 2020
tintingz:
The psychological part you said I agree with and I agree with all other things you said.

The psychological aspects of one who doesn't see his own hypocrisy is called delusion, even when the hypocrisy is glaring but still believe it's the truth is a delusion.

A Muslim can boldly say "There's no God but Allah" but if a non-muslims says it vice versa like "There's no Allah but other Gods" it becomes a blasphemy.
I mean both are blasphemies from that other's perspective. The issue is the nature of how they react to it.

And we have a form of mutual rejection of each other's faith and God(s) and damnation of the disbelievers between most religions anyway.

The person arrested for blasphemy is Mubarak Bala an atheist and human right activist. He posted it on Facebook that TB Joshua and Muhammad are the same but the difference is that TB Joshua is not a terrorists.

This is the statement that makes the Muslim angry and call for his arrest for blasphemy.
Was that really it? I've seen worse on this NL alone.

In my personal opinion is this statement should not be enough to be prosecuted over, because it's not really a divisive statement that risks causing social instability.

He said his thoughts on social media, if you don't like it block him. Simple.
His stance on religion is public so it's shouldn't have been controversial.

Certain people seem to live in a bobble were they think that there aren't people that don't and will never agree with them
(There is this thing I've read about, about how questioning and challenging something's belief can put them in a state similar to physical pain especially when it's the first time they've encountered it)

There's the chance he posted that knowing he would be arrested (the guy used his personal Facebook, while in a state that enforces sharia) as a form of activism to maybe show the violation of freedom of speech in Nigeria possibly?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 2:46am On May 01, 2020
IMAliyu:

I mean both are blasphemies from that other's perspective. The issue is the nature of how they react to it.

And we have a form of mutual rejection of each other's faith and God(s) and damnation of the disbelievers between most religions anyway.
Agreed

Was that really it? I've seen worse on this NL alone.

In my personal opinion is this statement should not be enough to be prosecuted over, because it's not really a divisive statement that risks causing social instability.

He said his thoughts on social media, if you don't like it block him. Simple.
His stance on religion is public so it's shouldn't have been controversial.

Certain people seem to live in a bobble were they think that there aren't people that don't and will never agree with them
(There is this thing I've read about, about how questioning and challenging something's belief can put them in a state similar to physical pain especially when it's the first time they've encountered it)

Exactly, I mean on social media, we read how both people clashes and insult each other's beliefs and we see worst statement.

There's the chance he posted that knowing he would be arrested (the guy used his personal Facebook, while in a state that enforces sharia) as a form of activism to maybe show the violation of freedom of speech in Nigeria possibly?

Yes, that's possible I think i heard the international body has intervene. The Muslims in Kano play to his plan and fell to his trap, blasphemy law shouldn't be existing in a secular law state like Nigeria. He maybe given asylum in another country.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by AntiChristian: 5:49am On May 01, 2020
tintingz:

What are Boko Haram agitating for?

See deflection again!

You keep claiming to be logical yet you go off thread and off point several times.

Your atheist brother with be judged with one law las Las either Shari'ah or common law! Ko ní bọn bẹ!

Abeg! Dey your dey jare!
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 5:52am On May 01, 2020
AntiChristian:

See deflection again!

You keep claiming to be logical yet you go off thread and off point several times.

Your atheist brother with be judged with one law las Las either Shari'ah or common law! Ko ní bọn bẹ!

Abeg! Dey your dey jare!

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by AntiChristian: 6:18am On May 01, 2020
tintingz:

Ask once more!

You have a Muslim family which you cowardly can't call Boko Haram.

Las Las Mubarak will be convicted nooni!

Ẹlẹdẹ Mubarak adọyọ ariwo awon wailers aápọ!
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by LordReed(m): 8:26am On May 01, 2020
IMAliyu:

This is quite sensible to be fair. I don't think people are fools for their beliefs in gods but I think people do foolish things due to their beliefs. It's something we all do, even us atheist, just our beliefs don't contain a god or gods. One should not go about calling people fools just cos they have different beliefs from yours rather scrutinise their actions and let them know when you think they are taking the wrong steps.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by AbuTwins: 8:46am On May 01, 2020
Section 204 of the Criminal Code

"Any person who does an act which any class of persons consider as a public insult on their religion, with the intention that they should consider the act such an insult...is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years."

He did not only insult the Prophet, he accused him of something which he cannot prove. AND he clearly stated that he is doing this for "blasphemy".

I wonder why some ignorants are supporting this. Is it because it's against Muslims? As in the "enemy of my enemy"....

Time would tell Sha!

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by AntiChristian: 8:52am On May 01, 2020
Two years imprisonment for common law!

Hmmm! Mubarak don carry bee hive wey dey active! Either the bees stings him to death or they leave him for dead!

We dey look!
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by whitelotus: 9:55am On May 01, 2020
AntiChristian:

See deflection again!

Abeg! Dey your dey jare!

Common law cannot punish someone for blasphemy

1 Like

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 10:02am On May 01, 2020
AbuTwins:

"Any person who does an act which any class of persons consider as a public insult on their religion, with the intention that they should consider the act such an insult...is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years."

I don't know where you got this code, I would like a link ref.

Anyways this contradicts the free speech code in the constitution.

He did not only insult the Prophet, he accused him of something which he cannot prove. AND he clearly stated that he is doing this for "blasphemy".
Did you asked him if he can prove it?

There are texts that shows Muhammad invaded or ordered invasion of lands and islamize them, what is the definition of such atrocities?

I wonder why some ignorants are supporting this. Is it because it's against Muslims? As in the "enemy of my enemy"....

Time would tell Sha!

Your hypocrisy is alarming, your Qur'an and prophet used offensive words on non-muslims, you didn't criticize that, but you're looking for silly excuses against his free speech rights.

1 Like

Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 10:05am On May 01, 2020
whitelotus:

Common law cannot punish someone for blasphemy
Lol, you mind him.

He failed to answer the punishment for blasphemy in Shari'a.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by whitelotus: 10:05am On May 01, 2020
AbuTwins:

Time would tell Sha!

That law is unconstitutional by in of itself. It is customary law according to wikipedia.

It is not common law. And there are secular provisions in the constitution that would overturn such nonsense.

Only backwards people support blasphemy laws.
Re: Does The Qur'an Blaspheme Against Other Beliefs? by tintingz(m): 10:10am On May 01, 2020
whitelotus:

That law is unconstitutional by in of itself. It is customary law according to wikipedia.

It is not common law. And there are secular provisions in the constitution that would overturn such nonsense.

Only backwards people support blasphemy laws.

I thought so, that cannot be in common law.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Still On Baby Born With Qur'an / Another Baby Born With Quran In Shasha, Lagos (photos) / Friday Sermon Translated 001

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.