Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? (3015 Views)

Glo 4.5 G For N2500 A Rip Off? / NATCOMMS To Protest Mtn’s “rip-off” Of Nigerian Subscribers / Mtn's Rip Off Let Them Know-customerservice@mtnnigeria.net (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by cecegorz(m): 2:09pm On Jan 10, 2011
I want to believe that the recent slash in price of BIS across networks has come with a massive rip-off of customers.
If you have been on BIS/BES prior to this recent price-war, you will believe with me that what they have actually done is to strip down some services that subscribers should have enjoyed ordinarily, in addition to quality of service too dropping badly.
I itemized a few issues bordering on degraded services.

1.It took Airtel five (5) good days to get me activated, after payment for this January, thereafter, it has been poor services all through.
2.All the 3rd party browsers (Opera, Bolt, etc) which are far better than the device browser are not working.
3.I can no longer connect the BB to my laptop inorder to browse as i used to do on Zain last year.
4.most times when i click on a link in a tweet, the browser starts to launch the page but drops off before the page opens.
5.You send a PIN chat and it arrives hours later like SMS message

With all these failure points, i think we are just paying for nothing theses days, even the NOKIA 1k/mth internet option seems to be a better proposition these days.
How do we tackle these guys to get real value for money? what's your network and how has it been lately, service wise.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by Mobinga: 4:30pm On Jan 10, 2011
cecegorz:

I want to believe that the recent slash in price of BIS across networks has come with a massive rip-off of customers.
If you have been on BIS/BES prior to this recent price-war, you will believe with me that what they have actually done is to strip down some services that subscribers should have enjoyed ordinarily, in addition to quality of service too dropping badly.

1.It took Airtel five (5) good days to get me activated, after payment for this January, thereafter, it has been poor services all through.
2.All the 3rd party browsers (Opera, Bolt, etc) which are far better than the device browser are not working.
3.I can no longer connect the BB to my laptop inorder to browse as i used to do on Zain last year.
4.most times when i click on a link in a tweet, the browser starts to launch the page but drops off before the page opens.

With all these failure points, i think we are just paying for nothing theses days, even the NOKIA 1k/mth internet option seems to be a better proposition these days.
How do we tackle these guys to get real value for money? what's your network and how has it been lately, service wise.

grin
lol. You seem to be getting horrible network services. MTN is better, from what you've said.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by semid4lyfe(m): 4:52pm On Jan 10, 2011
cecegorz:

Why slash prices only to give subscribers poorer service? Na wa for these GSM companies o undecided
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by frgy1: 10:15pm On Jan 10, 2011
Use glo and have no regrets , all browsers and applications work fine.
But I really can't wait to go back to my nokia(got spoilt,now with nokia care). It does all I do with my BB at a considerably lower cost.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by TCD: 7:15am On Jan 11, 2011
frgy_:

Use glo and have no regrets , all browsers and applications work fine.
But I really can't wait to go back to my nokia(got spoilt,now with nokia care). It does all I do with my BB at a considerably lower cost.
Glo is a terrible network, they never have a stable service. i can tell you that in every month there will be at least 1 week with NO GPRS service. they are that erratic.

@OP
I feel your pain. AIRTEL BIS is just terrible. I'll advice you to go for etisalat or MTN. as I'm typing right now, I have 2 BIS subscriptions Running one GLO and One AIRTEL. I can confidently tell you BOTH are not working now. I am posting with my MTN on BOLT using PAYG. Glo, gprs has disappeared for over 48hours now and Airtel/zain despite having full bars thats bursting outta my phone, I cant even open common google. Its been that bad with Zain/AIRTEL ever since I activated I have NOT browsed for more than 5mins at a stretch without disconnection. This is just terrible.

My advice to you guys is if you want to migrate to any networks BIS just first subscribe fo
r the one day BIS and test it. 400 naira can save you alot of heartache.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by aieromon(m): 7:19am On Jan 11, 2011
@BIS
Mmmscccheeeeewww,nonsense undecided
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by frgy1: 8:13am On Jan 11, 2011
TCD:

Glo is a terrible network, they never have a stable service. i can tell you that in every month there will be at least 1 week with NO GPRS service. they are that erratic.

@OP
I feel your pain. AIRTEL BIS is just terrible. I'll advice you to go for etisalat or MTN. as I'm typing right now, I have 2 BIS subscriptions Running one GLO and One AIRTEL. I can confidently tell you BOTH are not working now. I am posting with my MTN on BOLT using PAYG. Glo, gprs has disappeared for over 48hours now and Airtel/zain despite having full bars thats bursting outta my phone, I cant even open common google. Its been that bad with Zain/AIRTEL ever since I activated I have NOT browsed for more than 5mins at a stretch without disconnection. This is just terrible.

My advice to you guys is if you want to migrate to any networks BIS just first subscribe fo
r the one day BIS and test it. 400 naira can save you alot of heartache.
I think this things are location specific , I do not experience what you experience on your glo at alllll, it works normal(not perfect). even when the network is down ,its never for up to 10 min (maybe except when am not looking) . But I guarantee you will be tempted to hurl your phone against the wall if you try mtn here . From what I have been reading around , I think etisalat is the most consistent across the country
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by TCD: 8:43am On Jan 11, 2011
frgy_:

I think this things are location specific , I do not experience what you experience on your glo at alllll, it works normal(not perfect). even when the network is down ,its never for up to 10 min (maybe except when am not looking) . But I guarantee you will be tempted to hurl your phone against the wall if you try mtn here . From what I have been reading around , I think etisalat is the most consistent across the country

You are right bro. And thats why i'll advice anyone to try out 1 day BIS of any network in their locality. before subscribing for a month.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by cecegorz(m): 10:02am On Jan 11, 2011
TCD:

Glo is a terrible network,  they never have a stable service. i can tell you that in every month there will be at least 1 week with NO GPRS service. they are that erratic.

@OP

r the one day BIS and test it.
400 naira can save you alot of heartache.
You are right bro, i was on MTN last year and it was pretty much better, but connecting to lappy was not possible. The attraction to Zain was that as at last year, i could tether my BB to the laptop using the DM profile settings.
Since Airtel do only monthly subscription, i didn't have any opportunity to test run the service first.
Now i can't even connect to laptop again, went to their shop and they told me it cannot be done, that i should buy a data card for my lappy.
Can you imagine 
Any body that can connect to lappy on any network should let me know. Provided they don't charge outside the BIS plan.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by TCD: 10:51am On Jan 11, 2011
cecegorz:

You are right bro, i was on MTN last year and it was pretty much better, but connecting to lappy was not possible. The attraction to Zain was that as at last year, i could tether my BB to the laptop using the DM profile settings.
Since Airtel do only monthly subscription, i didn't have any opportunity to test run the service first.
Now i can't even connect to laptop again, went to their shop and they told me it cannot be done, that i should buy a data card for my lappy.
Can you imagine 
Any body that can connect to lappy on any network should let me know. Provided they don't charge outside the BIS plan.
the old settings was internet.ng.zain.com as APN. the new APN is internet.ng.Airtel.com. the old one still works for some people though. try the new APN and if it doesnt work then you know the problem is from Airtel. Me I cant even browse with my Airtel now.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by tomiade1(m): 11:03am On Jan 11, 2011
am currently on mtn bis, its kinda fair in terms of network interruptions and all
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by cecegorz(m): 11:11am On Jan 11, 2011
@TCD,
You are right on the APN for the BB device.

But the corresponding profile setting on the desktop manager is what i need. As shown on this page;

Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by TCD: 11:48am On Jan 11, 2011
as far as i know,
access point should be ; internet.ng.zain.com or internet.ng.airtel.com. try the two.

then leave username and password blank or try "internet" as username and "internet" as password works too.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by cecegorz(m): 1:41pm On Jan 11, 2011
^^^
All to no avail.
These Apache Indians are really up to no good.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by TCD: 2:21pm On Jan 11, 2011
Lol. Can you browse with the zain normally on the bb browser and opera? Are they connecting fine?
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by cecegorz(m): 2:37pm On Jan 11, 2011
^^^
Opera doesn't connect at all. device browser is as epileptic as NEPA  angry

Bolt is the only one i can use reasonably with it's own failure points too.

The bad thing about this is that when i have a link in a mail or tweet, clicking on it takes you straight to the device browser, instead of giving you option to chose a preferred one, i know MTN does that the last time i was on their network.
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by TCD: 5:03pm On Jan 11, 2011
cecegorz:

^^^
Opera doesn't connect at all. device browser is as epileptic as NEPA  angry

Bolt is the only one i can use reasonably with it's own failure points too.

The bad thing about this is that when i have a link in a mail or tweet, clicking on it takes you straight to the device browser, instead of giving you option to chose a preferred one, i know MTN does that the last time i was on their network.
In that case, the problem isn't your settings. its from almighty Airtel itself. i am having the same problems. i think Airtel BIS is officially crapped out right now. you can either wait for them to get their act together or u can throw away your sim and bail out like many are doing. smiley
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by cecegorz(m): 5:31pm On Jan 11, 2011
I should have bailed out really, but i got hooked for the rest of the month.
No wonder they only do calender months, once you're in, you can't get out till month end.

I just can't wait for the month to end.  angry
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by snoopy(m): 2:08am On Jan 12, 2011
i use the airtel bis and even though i agree that the network can be aweful atimes, its still considerably manageable for me. and who says you cant use yo' bb as a modem anymore? i still do! matter o' fact, its the connection am posting with now and as far as am concerned, thats the only consolation for their poor services. i havent really experienced what you guys go through with services not working for days, i've always browsed steady, just that the pages might load up a bit slow and a major snag ia that downloading is almost impossible as you experience frequent and agonising interruptions. another thing is that y'all might wanna consider upgrading yo' bb softwares to the 5.0 or 6 if u still on 4.6 as the internet reception on the newer softwares work faster (its a practical experience) plus airtel now has daily and weekly plans. not sure how much the weekly plan goes for but the daily plan goes for 200 bucks. just sms bisday or bisweek to 440. what i still dont understand is why networks like airtel restrict their 3g network to post paid subs only! i mean wtf why hoarding the damn thing! and it seems to be the reason mtn comes off better - 3g! but heard a while ago that airtel has started expanding their 3g coverage and theres a likelyhood that they'ld extend the service to pre paid subs. am not counting on that tho
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by cecegorz(m): 10:45am On Jan 12, 2011
@Snoopy,
What then is the settings you are using as shown on the page above? Abi na only you want to enjoy? wink

You can send into my box ; cecegorz{}yahoo.com
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by Mobinga: 1:27pm On Jan 12, 2011
Can you stream videos from youtube free? using a bb?
I tried it and zaps your credit like mad!! Even when using bolt it doesn't stream angry
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by snoopy(m): 12:40am On Jan 13, 2011
use the dm internet settings. specfically the internet.ng.zain, apn. you should also note that i use the 6.0 version of the desktop software which has been availaible only since a couple weeks back
Re: Bis/bes - We Are In An Age Of Massive Rip Off? by cecegorz(m): 4:00pm On Mar 08, 2011
Mobinga:

Can you stream videos from youtube free? using a bb?
I tried it and zaps your credit like mad!! Even when using bolt it doesn't stream angry
Which Network are you on? Airtel doesn't stream youtube at all.
The only option is vuclips.

(1) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus In Nigeria / MTN Nigeria Introduces "0903" / Warning: Selfies Kill More People Than Sharks Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.