Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,808 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Programming!!! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming!!! (1140 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming!!! by Spartancosta(m): 7:26pm On May 13, 2020
Nairaland family please I want to learn programming and don't know how to go about it.secondly,is it quintessential to possess a laptop before learning programming?I also heard one must be a badass in mathematics to learn programming,but I suck at mathematics.Hope it wouldn't be a problem learning programming?your opinions will be highly appreciated,God bless you all as you contribute to this thread.
"STAY SAFE ALL".
Re: Programming!!! by QuantumR: 7:38pm On May 13, 2020
Spartancosta:
Nairaland family please I want to learn programming and don't know how to go about it.secondly,is it quintessential to possess a laptop before learning programming?I also heard one must be a badass in mathematics to learn programming,but I suck at mathematics.Hope it wouldn't be a problem learning programming?your opinions will be highly appreciated,God bless you all as you contribute to this thread.
"STAY SAFE ALL".
Maths skills translate to a greater percentage of analytical thinking when it comes to programming. Ur ability to think analytical is d main ingredient, so if maths is nt ur thing, no need bro
Re: Programming!!! by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 13, 2020
Spartancosta:
"STAY SAFE ALL".
Bleep maths bro. To be a good programmer maths is not even part of the requirements, I love programming but i don't even like maths. Except if you want to go into that machine learning crap.
Re: Programming!!! by Spartancosta(m): 10:17pm On May 13, 2020
QuantumR:

Maths skills translate to a greater percentage of analytical thinking when it comes to programming. Ur ability to think analytical is d main ingredient, so if maths is nt ur thing, no need bro
i am not that bad in mathematics,but I heard programming involves badass engineering mathematics.i am slightly above average in o level mathematics.so what's your advice for me?
Re: Programming!!! by Spartancosta(m): 10:18pm On May 13, 2020
Ausrichie:

Bleep maths bro. To be a good programmer maths is not even part of the requirements, I love programming but i don't even like maths. Except if you want to go into that machine learning crap.
you mean I can still learn programming with little knowledge of mathematics
Re: Programming!!! by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 13, 2020
Spartancosta:
you mean I can still learn programming with little knowledge of mathematics
Of course. It is easy, I can put myself in the advanced level in C, so it's no problem.
Re: Programming!!! by QuantumR: 4:06am On May 14, 2020
Spartancosta:
i am not that bad in mathematics,but I heard programming involves badass engineering mathematics.i am slightly above average in o level mathematics.so what's your advice for me?

Rate ur "analytic skills ", if its atleast up to average then u r good to go.
Re: Programming!!! by Daejoyoung: 8:41am On May 14, 2020
QuantumR:

Rate ur "analytic skills ", if its atleast up to average then u r good to go.
lt depends on what type of programming he is talking about. For web development and app development most times, math skills are not really required to get started. For machine learning and A.I, maybe. But even in Machine learning, you can get started with the programming and learn the required math along the way.
Re: Programming!!! by Spartancosta(m): 9:44am On May 14, 2020
Daejoyoung:

lt depends on what type of programming he is talking about. For web development and app development most times, math skills are not really required to get started. For machine learning and A.I, maybe. But even in Machine learning, you can get started with the programming and learn the required math along the way.
thank you sir
Re: Programming!!! by Spartancosta(m): 9:44am On May 14, 2020
Daejoyoung:

alright thanks for the contribution
Re: Programming!!! by Spartancosta(m): 9:45am On May 14, 2020
Ausrichie:

Of course. It is easy, I can put myself in the advanced level in C, so it's no problem.
thank you sir
Re: Programming!!! by QuantumR: 9:50am On May 14, 2020
Daejoyoung:

The angle i'm actually looking at is "creativity", it's one thing to know something and it's another thing to know hw to be creative wit it and dats where d analytics falls in..
Re: Programming!!! by nosagold(m): 10:47am On May 14, 2020
Ausrichie:

Lol are you sure you're a programmer?
Re: Programming!!! by Daejoyoung: 1:04pm On May 14, 2020
QuantumR:

The angle i'm actually looking at is "creativity", it's one thing to know something and it's another thing to know hw to be creative wit it and dats where d analytics falls in..
But not in all areas of programming, for example how does Maths help you learn Html, css, or even javascript? All you need is logical thinking not necessarily maths as we know it.
Re: Programming!!! by Daejoyoung: 1:07pm On May 14, 2020
nosagold:

All a programmer really need is the ability to think logically. A literature student without knowledge of even Algebra can learn to write Html, css, javascript and their frameworks in 6 months, and build projects.
Re: Programming!!! by nosagold(m): 1:14pm On May 14, 2020
Daejoyoung:

All a programmer really need is the ability to think logically. A literature student without knowledge of even Algebra can learn to write Html, css, javascript and their frameworks in 6 months, and build projects.

That's if you want to be an average programmer. Even certain css animations require a certain level of mathematics. Lol do you know how many mathematical courses I did in school and I studied computer and information sciences? I'm not a maths wiz but by God's grace, I get by. You need a level of mathematics to be a proficient programmer
Re: Programming!!! by Daejoyoung: 2:31pm On May 14, 2020
nosagold:

That's if you want to be an average programmer. Even certain css animations require a certain level of mathematics. Lol do you know how many mathematical courses I did in school and I studied computer and information sciences? I'm not a maths wiz but by God's grace, I get by. You need a level of mathematics to be a proficient programmer
What level of mathematics does css require? you just apply logic to how a program should be structured ie learning data structures and algorithms, and for these you need to be good at logical thinking not necessarily maths as we know it. What you applied to css probably have more to do with logic in general, than the normal academic maths that scares people.
Machine learning requires maths, but l wouldn't advice anyone to begin with maths, you begin with python followed by statistics, and then you learn the required maths along the way.
Re: Programming!!! by nosagold(m): 4:15pm On May 14, 2020
Daejoyoung:

What level of mathematics does css require? you just apply logic to how a program should be structured ie learning data structures and algorithms, and for these you need to be good at logical thinking not necessarily maths as we know it. What you applied to css probably have more to do with logic in general, than the normal academic maths that scares people.
Machine learning requires maths, but l wouldn't advice anyone to begin with maths, you begin with python followed by statistics, and then you learn the required maths along the way.

There's no point arguing with you... You clearly haven't coded css animations where you have to translate elements to a particular angle. I'm not talking about element.style.color coding. Do your research. I'm not saying you have to be Einstein but saying no knowledge of mathematics is required to be a programmer is inaccurate.
Re: Programming!!! by QuantumR: 4:32pm On May 14, 2020
Daejoyoung:

But not in all areas of programming, for example how does Maths help you learn Html, css, or even javascript? All you need is logical thinking not necessarily maths as we know it.
HTML nd css are not programming language but rather script language.
I dont know hw u define a programmer but to me i would say a programmer is someone who has d ability to solve complex problems using few lines of codes, thats where data structures and algorithm comes in. trust me bro, U will need that maths side of u to cross pass dis stage.. note by maths i dnt mean solving quadratic equation but that "problem handlin skills".

To test ur faith or level as a programmer, go to codewars or any of those related site and solve as many algorithm as possible.
I think i will stop here.
Re: Programming!!! by Daejoyoung: 4:53pm On May 14, 2020
QuantumR:

HTML nd css are not programming language but rather script language.
I dont know hw u define a programmer but to me i would say a programmer is someone who has d ability to solve complex problems using few lines of codes, thats where data structures and algorithm comes in. trust me bro, U will need that maths side of u to cross pass dis stage.. note by maths i dnt mean solving quadratic equation but that "problem handlin skills".

To test ur faith or level as a programmer, go to codewars or any of those related site and solve as many algorithm as possible.
I think i will stop here.
Now you are talking, there is a slight difference between maths as we know it, and logical thinking. Although you need the latter to be great at the former, you do not need the former to acquire the latter.
Math in form of logic can be expressed in several ways, which involves breaking down a problem. Many people have these skills but are not necessarily good at academic maths for some reason or the other.
Re: Programming!!! by Spartancosta(m): 7:42pm On May 14, 2020
Thanks for your contributions,you guys are the best.I am really grateful 🙏🙏🙏,God bless you all!!!
Re: Programming!!! by Nobody: 2:52am On May 15, 2020
nosagold:

Ehen I am. Why the question? By the way CSS is not programming. Programming has finally lost its real meaning.
Re: Programming!!! by spartan117(m): 10:48am On May 15, 2020
nosagold:

There's no point arguing with you... You clearly haven't coded css animations where you have to translate elements to a particular angle. I'm not talking about element.style.color coding. Do your research. I'm not saying you have to be Einstein but saying no knowledge of mathematics is required to be a programmer is inaccurate.
It's not that maths is not required for programming.

But in my opinion anyone who went through secondary school should know enough mathematics to be a good programmer.

(1) (Reply)

Rate My First React Js Web App / Whatz Ur Experience / Programming Aspirant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.