Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,743 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Beginning Freelance Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Beginning Freelance Programming (1179 Views)

Top 20 Freelance Programming Jobs For Programmers / Your Web Site Development From Scratch Beginning From 25k / Freelance: Programming with Microsoft Office Excel. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beginning Freelance Programming by Runningwater(m): 2:30pm On Jun 15, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm actually planning on earning from freelance programming but have little to no idea on how to get started and I also need some advice on it. Areas you could demystify include:

How did you get your first freelance job online
How did you feel when given the job
How much do you earn in a month
How do you get paid, if through PayPal how did you catch your payment
What advice can you give a NIGERIAN beginner
How did you deal with problems you know little about but it's in your domain of skills
Are your clients Nigerians, foreigners or both
How do you boost your chance of getting more clients
And other areas worth informing a beginner.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by Etinosa1234: 6:34pm On Jun 15, 2020
I am co asking also

tensazangetsu20

1 Like

Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:16pm On Jun 15, 2020
Etinosa1234:
I am co asking also

tensazangetsu20

I have only freelanced as a digital marketer but I would say you should sign up on freelancing sites and start to bid for jobs. If you want Nigerian clients, run ads on Facebook targeting Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by Runningwater(m): 12:35am On Jun 16, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I have only freelanced as a digital marketer but I would say you should sign up on freelancing sites and start to bid for jobs. If you want Nigerian clients, run ads on Facebook targeting Nigeria.
Thanks for sharing your advice
Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by emmy512: 8:16am On Jul 09, 2020
Make sure you're good at what you do or have an overall idea of what you're doing, being able to understand problems and think of the solutions.
Once you're balanced with that register on a freelance site, upwork,fiverr, freelance.net etc. Check out people's offer on the platform, I'll advice you get a portfolio site where you show other works you've done like personal projects. This should be linked to your freelance site.
The rest you'll have to wait for one person to trust you to deliver, the moment you get a client, it's an opportunity to learn, google is your freind. Just understanding the concepts of what you're doing would help you understand any code snippet you get online and you'll find a way to use it on the project. Most of the time you're asked to just do a part of the whole code.
You'll also need to understand how repositories work, git and other cloud based products that'll increase your productivity and finess with the client.
As for pay, you'll certainly get paid well for your trouble wich also depends on the client and what he thinks of the code
He may think it's a simple stuff which he can do but doesn't have time, while you may think it's hard cos you don't have the experience that'll also determine the price. But looking at other people's offer should give you an overview of what you should get which will also depend on your rep on the site.
Being confident is key as lack of confidence which may be as a result of inexperience could pressurize you.

You end up learning new stuff if you succeed with the job, ( learning by discovery) which i believe is one of the best ways to learn as you won't forget easily.

I freelance for other services other than coding, i do not have the experience of working with someone on a programme and not willing to take the pressure that comes with it but have my personal projects that i deal with.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by Runningwater(m): 5:18am On Jul 12, 2020
emmy512:
Make sure you're good at what you do or have an overall idea of what you're doing, being able to understand problems and think of the solutions.
Once you're balanced with that register on a freelance site, upwork,fiverr, freelance.net etc. Check out people's offer on the platform, I'll advice you get a portfolio site where you show other works you've done like personal projects. This should be linked to your freelance site.
The rest you'll have to wait for one person to trust you to deliver, the moment you get a client, it's an opportunity to learn, google is your freind. Just understanding the concepts of what you're doing would help you understand any code snippet you get online and you'll find a way to use it on the project. Most of the time you're asked to just do a part of the whole code.
You'll also need to understand how repositories work, git and other cloud based products that'll increase your productivity and finess with the client.
As for pay, you'll certainly get paid well for your trouble wich also depends on the client and what he thinks of the code
He may think it's a simple stuff which he can do but doesn't have time, while you may think it's hard cos you don't have the experience that'll also determine the price. But looking at other people's offer should give you an overview of what you should get which will also depend on your rep on the site.
Being confident is key as lack of confidence which may be as a result of inexperience could pressurize you.

You end up learning new stuff if you succeed with the job, ( learning by discovery) which i believe is one of the best ways to learn as you won't forget easily.

I freelance for other services other than coding, i do not have the experience of working with someone on a programme and not willing to take the pressure that comes with it but have my personal projects that i deal with.

WOW!!!! Such a lengthy advice with lots of guidelines to succeed in freelancing. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate!!!
Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by Runningwater(m): 5:21am On Jul 12, 2020
emmy512:

But I have one other challenge - how to get to be a member on a freelancing site like upwork. I was rejected twice on there. You mention Fiverr, and freelance.net I'm going to try them right away.
Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by ekrizz(m): 9:20am On Jul 12, 2020
Hello,
I can give you a guideline on how to register and get your account approved on Upwork, free of charge. And there's an Upwork group I belong to on WhatsApp. If you're interested to join, I'll show you how to get started. Mind you, I'm not charging you anything neither am I selling anything to you. It's just a free help.

1 Like

Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by ekrizz(m): 9:45am On Jul 12, 2020
Runningwater:
Hello everyone, I'm actually planning on earning from freelance programming but have little to no idea on how to get started and I also need some advice on it. Areas you could demystify include:

How did you get your first freelance job online
How did you feel when given the job
How much do you earn in a month
How do you get paid, if through PayPal how did you catch your payment
What advice can you give a NIGERIAN beginner
How did you deal with problems you know little about but it's in your domain of skills
Are your clients Nigerians, foreigners or both
How do you boost your chance of getting more clients
And other areas worth informing a beginner.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Got the message? Check the previous post

1 Like

Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by godofspeed: 1:20pm On Jul 12, 2020
ekrizz:
Hello,
I can give you a guideline on how to register and get your account approved on Upwork, free of charge. And there's an Upwork group I belong to on WhatsApp. If you're interested to join, I'll show you how to get started. Mind you, I'm not charging you anything neither am I selling anything to you. It's just a free help.

Please i'll like this too. Thank you my WhatsApp number 08147101575

1 Like

Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by Ilearning: 7:33am On Jul 13, 2020
Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by clickcounter(m): 10:36am On Jul 13, 2020
hell, i have created application named click counter please tell me this application is usefull or not.
Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by Runningwater(m): 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2020
ekrizz:
Hello,
I'm willing to learn!!! Sorry for late reply.How can I get started?
Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by Kelvinnz: 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2020
If you want to Start freelance programming my advise for you is to get a get a Stripe account so you can accept payments from anyone in any country and you can also do dropshipping as a side hustle.

https://incorpuk.com/ helped me setup my UK LTD company, Business bank accounts in USD and Pounds with debit card and I was able to open Stripe in Nigeria without any problem. I have used Stripe to accept payments and send invoice to customers anyhere.

1 Like

Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by Runningwater(m): 10:24am On Jul 14, 2020
Kelvinnz:
If you want to Start freelance programming my advise for you is to get a get a Stripe account so you can accept payments from anyone in any country and you can also do dropshipping as a side hustle.

https://incorpuk.com/ helped me setup my UK LTD company, Business bank accounts in USD and Pounds with debit card and I was able to open Stripe in Nigeria without any problem. I have used Stripe to accept payments and send invoice to customers anyhere.
Alright, thank you!!
Just a few more questions:
#Where do you freelance
#What domain do you do freelancing eg web, Python, Android etc

Thank you once more.
Re: Beginning Freelance Programming by mlkraj(m): 3:31pm On Jul 15, 2020
Hello guys, I just started freelancing recently and upwork ask me today to verify my account by sending a picture of a government issued I'd card as well as the video interview within 7 days.

My question is, does upwork allow paper national id card/slip (the brown copy) ? because that is only what I have access to now. And if NO what do I do next (I don't have money to collect either driver's license nor international passport) also it's not election time yet so voter's card is out of it.

Note: I don't even have the paper national id card yet I'll just quickly go and collect it. Nd I dont want to stress myself and spend money(since they've not officially resumed) if it would b useless at last.

Pls help

Edit: Answer found BT if u still have anuy contribution u can drop it.

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Help On C++ Or Java Programming / Help With Construction Of Troublesome Sql Statement In Vb.net! / I Need Advice On How To Become A Professional Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.