Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? (2768 Views)

When Angry Programmer Get An Error! / How Much Does A Programmer With My Skills Earn / Oracle Development: Jdeveloper 10g – Java, J2ee, Ejb, Mvc, Xml - Overview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? by jubatus: 10:46am On Feb 07, 2011
Firstly,learning the java programming language has been my preoccupation in the past one year.After initial struggle to come to terms with the whole OOP concept(my only programming experience being procedural programing vis-a-vis BASIC  and PASCAL);I can now consider myself above basic level but not fully at the intermediate level but ready to plunge into the dynamic world of coding.

I have taken a look at SCJP questions online and I could score past 70% on first attempt and subsequent ones on a drill of over 70 questions without referring to any text or revising anything.However I have not written the exam,reason being that I cannot presently afford the 48k needed to take the exam atone of the test centers in Ikeja.

Secondly,in this part of the world where employer's of labour require over 10 years of experience on the job,it is difficult to find a job,talk more of a skilled one.Scurrying Nigerian job sites and newspapers in search of java/j2ee programmer job is a waste of time.Its even only here in the programming section on nairaland that I even see adverts for such jobs.

However,I can remember reading one blog that advised rookies in the IT field to seek a mentor to guide them,this is what I seek now.Someone who could help put together volumes of knowledge that I have consumed in the last one year,have me do some things like software testing,writing trivial classes or anything related.Furthermore,if engaged on a real project,I will be able to defend my dignity and begin to add value in the shortest minimum time possible.

I am very ready to work like an apprentice without pay.So long as the job description is java/j2ee.Right now most of what I have is conceptual knowledge,if the wind blows me towards say any java framework like  spring beans,ejb,avalon,jboss seam or in-house framework,I am ready to go.I can catch up on the job.

I am waiting,save a soul.Bring a brother  into the programming world and help him put food on his table.God will bless you real good.

I can be reached via jubatuscode@gmail.com
Re: How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? by candylips(m): 11:22pm On Feb 08, 2011
unfortunately i don't have any side projects right now but just continue learning and very soon you will land a job and become a very good developer
Re: How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? by jubatus: 12:36am On Feb 09, 2011
candylips:

unfortunately i don't have any side projects right now but just continue learning and very soon you will land a job and become a very good developer

thanks,theres no subsitute for learning more to be able to prove myself anywhere.Only someone who hasnt started the journey will not wish to get to the level of being a good developer and delivery solutions with ease.I hope I can be like you guys soon.Keep me in mind anything you have got something
Re: How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? by eSOT: 10:44am On Feb 14, 2011
Sincerely, I suggest you take that exam because as it is you are already half way there. I used to be in your shoes I even read Chemistry Education in school but today, I can hold my own against any developer though in the meantime you can keep studying and try taking a job as an instructor it will help keep your memory and knowledge fresh and challenged.
Re: How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? by jubatus: 2:12pm On Feb 15, 2011
eSOT:

Sincerely, I suggest you take that exam because as it is you are already half way there. I used to be in your shoes I even read Chemistry Education in school but today, I can hold my own against any developer though in the meantime you can keep studying and try taking a job as an instructor it will help keep your memory and knowledge fresh and challenged.

thanks bro for the kind words.I will surely take the exam immediately I raise the cash.continuous learning is the only option and as soon as i get certified,I will go for a tutor job.i am getting acquainted with spring these days because it seems to be the future of java ee and I read somewhere that the future of java may be confined to enterprise use only.
Re: How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? by kodewrita(m): 4:06pm On Feb 16, 2011
write small projects that you can show. just small programs/apps to test different areas and then work on polishing them

a small exquisitely designed and coded simple calculator with menus , help files , splash screens will teach you more about coding than hours of reading blogs.
Re: How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? by csharpjava(m): 6:37pm On Feb 16, 2011
If you are going to work in a company writing programs then you'll need to know how to write your code from a class diagram, this is an object oriented approach for software development. Follow the link below for video tutorials on UML which is used for modelling when using an object oriented method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRXe1omEGWQ&feature=related
Re: How Does A Rookie Java/j2ee Programmer Get A Job? by jubatus: 2:08pm On Feb 17, 2011
csharpjava:

If you are going to work in a company writing programs then you'll need to know how to write your code from a class diagram, this is an object oriented approach for software development. Fellow the link below for video tutorials on UML which is used for modelling when using an object oriented method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRXe1omEGWQ&feature=related

Thanks man.

(1) (Reply)

Javascript Frameworks, Libraries & Tools / ALX Transforming Lives / Urgent Help On Sparql Query Ontology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.