Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,635 members, 7,820,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Colonization - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Colonization (1253 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Colonization And Epidemics In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Colonization by redsun(m): 11:17am On Jun 24, 2007
Why do french colonized africans cling to their french past passionately,while the english colonized africans,ie,nigerians hate to think about their english past?
Re: Colonization by Ndipe(m): 12:04pm On Jun 24, 2007
Interesting question. I have also observed that too. Francophone countries appear to be totally reliant on France for the growth of their economy, while their Anglophone counterpart are striving for self reliance. A glaring example would be to compare Ghana with Ivory Coast. While the former has almost succeeded in making a turn around in their once gloomy economy, thereby undergoing a renaissance, Ivory Coast, is now a shadow of its former past.
Re: Colonization by MP007(m): 12:41pm On Jun 24, 2007
colonization is the problem with africa, they have made africa believe that anything that aint westernised it ancient , let africa develop its only d=stuff, u cant be greater than ur master? dang! anybody feeeling me?
Re: Colonization by lazy(m): 10:50pm On Jun 24, 2007
I have to agree with you. It brings to mind a saying that people say "their(meaning Western/European) ice is colder". Until people realize that isn't the case, things will always stay the same.
Re: Colonization by ajadrage: 4:44pm On Jun 27, 2007
It is due to the different policies applied by these two colonial governments. While the French practised a system known as assimilation, the British were more in favour of a system of association.

Thus, while a French colonial could claim French citizenship, it was not the case for a British colonial. This policies has dovetailed into the present kind of relations that exist between French colonies and members of the British Commonwealth, even till contemporary times.

For those that did government in their secondary schools, this is a bonus question
Re: Colonization by redsun(m): 5:44pm On Jul 02, 2007
Yeah,policy of assimilation is known topic in african goverment studies,but in real life,it's really working,it's a policy used by the french  to steal the mind of their colonial subjects,to totally renounce their root and believe in what they don't undersand and what they are not really part of.You can't imagine the reaction of a cameroonian when you tell him he's not french but an african,he will go haywire,even in south america,french guyana,they don't just want to hear they are not part of europe.
Re: Colonization by jagunlabi(m): 6:43pm On Aug 10, 2007
That is so tragic!O ma se o!Oro runrun!
redsun:

Yeah,policy of assimilation is known topic in african goverment studies,but in real life,it's really working,it's a policy used by the french to steal the mind of their colonial subjects,to totally renounce their root and believe in what they don't undersand and what they are not really part of.You can't imagine the reaction of a cameroonian when you tell him he's not french but an african,he will go haywire,even in south america,french guyana,they don't just want to hear they are not part of europe.
Re: Colonization by FufuKing1(m): 8:55pm On Aug 25, 2007
You guys should not diss the French colonies just because they speak French.

Ghana is not SO great, trust me. Plenty of people graduate from school and they have no jobs waiting for them. People are dying to get out of Ghana all the time.

You compare Ghana to Ivory Coast, but what about Senegal? Senegal is a French-speaking country and they are doing quite well for themselves.

Anglophone countries don't get into a pissing match of trying to consider yourselves "more African". And don't tell me that Anglophone African countries "hate" their colonized past, when I see Naija women running to buy bleaching cream and put blonde wigs on their heads.
Re: Colonization by wendymanda: 2:59pm On Aug 26, 2007
Anglophone countries don't get into a pissing match of trying to consider yourselves "more African". And don't tell me that Anglophone African countries "hate" their colonized past, when I see Naija women running to buy bleaching cream and put blond wigs on their heads.

Good point but I don't think that has anything to do with Nigerian women trying to connect with the British Colonization. It more that influence of the west is so great and everyone wants the white woman appeal. Even Indians bleach, orientals get double eye lids and so on. I think its more that French colonial masters were not as ruthless and evil and the British. Also France is more willing to accept people from its former colonies than Britain is. It is easier for people from a French colony to go to France than it is for people from any of the British colonies to go to England. Except if they are from the Cayman Islands.
Re: Colonization by younghoodi(m): 6:30pm On Aug 26, 2007
they only colonized the yorubas and igbos not the hausas in the north err body speak they land language and that's what i love about it.
Re: Colonization by wendymanda: 12:03am On Aug 29, 2007
they only colonized the yorubas and igbos not the hausas in the north err body speak they land language and that's what i love about it.

So didn't the Hausa's live in Nigeria when they Colonized it?
Re: Colonization by younghoodi(m): 2:17pm On Aug 29, 2007
hausa people are not stupid we know our routes we don't be on british dig like yall.mr educated.
Re: Colonization by osereka(m): 7:12pm On Aug 29, 2007
they not only colonise the east and west
they make the so called educated ones hate their father language
pity pity pity english has become their father tongue.

(1) (Reply)

Learn About The Awka(oka) People Of Anambra State / Brothers Movie 2015 Songs, Videos, Images, Collection / Tribute To A Great King (HRM Oba Dr. Michael Folorosho Olobayo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.