Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,048 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

Why Do We Fast? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Fast? (595 Views)

This Happens In The Unseen World When We Fast And Pray (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Fast? by Peera(m): 6:09am On Oct 17, 2020
Since we don't always give our skipped meal to beggars or the less privileged every time we fast, why then do we fast?

Re: Why Do We Fast? by HRHQueenPhil(f): 6:16am On Oct 17, 2020
Peera:
Since we don't always give our skipped meal to beggars or the less privileged every time we fast, why then do we fast?
Speak for yourself. Many of us actually do..it doesn't have to be d one carrying plates..and it must not be money or food..d sacrifice of your time u use to pray for someone else can go a long way

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Fast? by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 17, 2020
We fast because it purifies our soul,it helps us stay away from sins and to be spiritually very strong.No week passes me by without fasting at least once.Try it and you will see how much you love yourself.Righteousness89 am i right?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Fast? by Thesole(m): 6:23am On Oct 17, 2020
OP when we fast we dont cook, so there's no "skipped meal". we fast so that our problem dont catch up with us. tell those beggars to fast and i bet u after 2 days they'll be in heaven resting grin
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Righteousness89(m): 6:27am On Oct 17, 2020
Zzor:
We fast because it purifies our soul,it helps us stay away from sins and to be spiritually very strong.No week passes me by without fasting at least once.Try it and you will see how much you love yourself.Righteousness89 am i right?

Absolutely Ma..
Fasting Powers the Spirit Man
Fasting Makes the Spirit man alive..
It's the Spiritual that Controls the Physical..
Fasting subdues the Power of the flesh..

The Flesh is a Deceiver. It's not happy when u Fast! All it wants is to be Pampered, Gratified and all that..

For uptimum Results it should be Fasting and Praying...

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Fast? by Nobody: 6:31am On Oct 17, 2020
Righteousness89:

Absolutely Ma..
exactly sir ,it has seriously kept me going and not astray despite my shortcomings.Fasting is the fastest secret to any form of spiritual nourishment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Fast? by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 17, 2020
Righteousness89:

Absolutely Ma..
Fasting Makes the Spirit man alive..
It's the Spiritual that Controls the Physical..
Fasting subdues the Power of the flesh..

The Flesh is a Deceiver. It's not happy when u Fast! All it wants is to be Pampered, Gratified and all that..

For uptimum Results it should be Fasting and Praying...
you are absolutely correct

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Fast? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:00am On Oct 17, 2020
Peera:

Fasting began when Israelites go offtrack from God's requirements. They use that moment to show how sober they are towards their wrongdoing. This tradition continued through the ages until the people turned the custom into a perfunctory exercise.
It came to a time God got fed up with this hypocrisy that he sent his prophets to warn them about how needless their ritual fastings has become in his eyes. Isaiah 58:1-8
But the people did not get the message so they continue their fasting until the arrival of God's son (Jesus Christ). Jesus never taught his followers how to fast, he made them realized that the hunger strike they're calling fasting has nothing to do with his father.
So whenever they choose to go on hungers strike they shouldn't squeeze their faces since his father never imposed such act on them {Matthew 6:16-18} The questions each sincere Bible scholar needs to ask are

How did the scriptures stipulate fasting?
From what time to what time is fasting?
What are the things to use during fasting?
Did Jesus fasted at all?
Where did Jesus fasted?
What is the timeframe of Jesus' fasting?
Did any human knew when he fasted?
Did he repeat the exercise?
Did he ask his followers to do the same?
What exactly is the purpose of fasting?

Based on God's word it's only when his servants are sober or mourning that they don't feel like eating {Matthew 9:15} the true fasting that God requires from all humans is righteousness.
When we try to do what is right in the midst of a crooked minded people they tend to antagonize and even spite us, do we shrink back from doing what is right? If we do then there is no gain in going on hunger strike afterwards! Isaiah 58:6-7

God bless you! smiley
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 17, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

Fasting began when Israelites go offtrack from God's requirements. They use that moment to show how sober they are towards their wrongdoing. This tradition continued through the ages until the people turned the custom into a perfunctory exercise.
It came to a time God got fed up with this hypocrisy that he sent his prophets to warn them about how needless their ritual fastings has become in his eyes. Isaiah 58:1-8
But the people did not get the message so they continue their fasting until the arrival of God's son (Jesus Christ). Jesus never taught his followers how to fast, he made them realized that the hunger strike they're calling fasting has nothing to do with his father.
So whenever they choose to go on hungers strike they shouldn't squeeze their faces since his father never imposed such act on them {Matthew 6:16-18} The questions each sincere Bible scholar needs to ask are

Did Jesus fasted at all?
Where did Jesus fasted?

Based on God's word it's only when his servants are sober or mourning that they don't feel like eating {Matthew 9:15} the true fasting that God requires from all humans is righteousness.
When we try to do what is right in the midst of a crooked minded people they tend to antagonize and even spite us, do we shrink back from doing what is right? If we do then there is no gain in going on hunger strike afterwards! Isaiah 58:6-7

God bless you! smiley

in essence,nothing like fasting?you jw can be very complex,jesus fasted so also his disciples
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Nobody: 11:14am On Oct 17, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

Did Jesus fasted at all?
Where did Jesus fasted?

God bless you! smiley

The first mention of fasting in the new testament was Exd.13:2-15.Jesus practiced fasting when satan tempted him Matt. 4:1-11 Sir check also Mark. 1:12-13,Luke.4:1-4
Re: Why Do We Fast? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:36am On Oct 17, 2020
Zzor:
The first mention of fasting in the new testament was Exd.13:2-15.Jesus practiced fasting when satan tempted him Matt. 4:1-11 Sir check also Mark. 1:12-13,Luke.4:1-4

I know you're intelligent so i'll try to make it simpler for you!

Please can you say a person who was taken to an isolated place for days fasted for those days simply because they never offered him food? undecided
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 17, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

I know you're intelligent so i'll try to make it simpler for you!

Please can you say a person who was taken to an isolated place for days fasted for those days simply because they never offered him food? undecided
Then if he was there in isolation without food,what do we call that?i already gave you verses that affirmed Jesus fasted and it was also confirmed in the new testament,check those verses I referred you to earlier and what do you have to say?
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2020
The Gift of Fasting is the Fastest Means and Way of Discovering, Unlocking and Use of your spirit, whom you are.

You are flesh and physical yes, you know that. But the Bible is Also Saying (which I have seen to be True too) that you are Also spirit and unseen.

The Gift of Fasting Delivers you to Where God is.

"they who shall Worship Me in spirit (not flesh/physical) and Truth"

"Our Father, Who Art in Heaven (spirit)"

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Fast? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:22pm On Oct 17, 2020
Zzor:
Then if he was there in isolation without food,what do we call that?i already gave you verses that affirmed Jesus fasted and it was also confirmed in the new testament,check those verses I referred you to earlier and what do you have to say?

Going straight to read a Bible quotation shows you're willing to know but diligently studying and prayerfully meditating on quoted scriptures will help you to become wise!

So now let's do some meditation!

Matthew, Mark and Luke were the three gospel writers who recorded the event.
According to Matthew when a person didn't eat for days the condition doesn't count it's fasting
But according to Mark and Luke they never call it fasting because Jesus did not reject food, he did not go into the wilderness all by himself it was God's holy spirit that led him there, and after the holy spirit has concluded with him something strange happened!
Jesus was hungry!
Now a person who deliberately chose to fast can't say i'm hungry when you're the one fasting, nobody was there with Jesus so he must have been the one who related the experience to his disciples so did Jesus told them i was fasting and i was hungry? NO!
So to conclude on what happened there are certain aspects to be considered, Jesus did not choose to fast, he never repeated the exercise and never asked his followers to emulate it, his followers never repeated it. If you read about his followers and fasting it simply means they were praying or doing something in sorrow not that they deliberately ignored food when they have it and nothing is worrying them! smiley
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 17, 2020
MaxInDHouse:

Going straight to read a Bible quotation shows you're willing to know but diligently studying and prayerfully meditating on quoted scriptures will help you to become wise!

So now let's do some meditation!

Matthew, Mark and Luke were the three gospel writers who recorded the event.
According to Matthew when a person didn't eat for days the condition doesn't count it's fasting
But according to Mark and Luke they never call it fasting because Jesus did not reject food, he did not go into the wilderness all by himself it was God's holy spirit that led him there, and after the holy spirit has concluded with him something strange happened!
Jesus was hungry!
Now a person who deliberately chose to fast can't say i'm hungry when you're the one fasting, nobody was there with Jesus so he must have been the one who related the experience to his disciples so did Jesus told them i was fasting and i was hungry? NO!
So to conclude on what happened there are certain aspects to be considered, Jesus did not choose to fast, he never repeated the exercise and never asked his followers to emulate it, his followers never repeated it. If you read about his followers and fasting it simply means they were praying or doing something in sorrow not that they deliberately ignored food when they have it and nothing is worrying them! smiley
hmmm OK ooo
Re: Why Do We Fast? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2020
Zzor:

hmmm OK ooo

So it's personal, you can choose to eat or to stay without food but it has nothing to do with God!
Re: Why Do We Fast? by MrCork: 1:05pm On Oct 17, 2020
Zzor:
hmmm OK ooo

tanks. am still had thou..
.p;lease can we continue in sexuality section, beg!
smiley
Re: Why Do We Fast? by KNOWMORE56: 5:05pm On Oct 17, 2020
Peera:

Myself have thought about it some time a go. But the thing there is that if you want to give, it's a good thing.

But answers to our prayers are not tied around giving.

The end result of giving is getting the things you gave in multiples.

While answers to prayers are tied around God promises and faithfulness.
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Maycash89(m): 4:02pm On Oct 22, 2020
Zzor:
exactly sir ,it has seriously kept me going and not astray despite my shortcomings.Fasting is the fastest secret to any form of spiritual nourishment
I strongly disagree with you on this, the spirituality of these time,is in obedience and application to the Word of God you heard,not fasting, once you fast you become light in the spirit, but it doesn't last long,cos anytime you eat food,your spirituality ends.
Zzor:
I strongly disagree with you on this, the spirituality of these time,is in obedience and application to the Word of God you heard,not fasting, once you fast you become light in the spirit, but it doesn't last long,cos anytime you eat food,your spirituality ends.
Zzor:
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On Oct 22, 2020
Peera:
Because men prefer to do as they please and not as God has commanded.
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Oct 22, 2020
HRHQueenPhil:

Speak for yourself. Many of us actually do..it doesn't have to be d one carrying plates..and it must not be money or food..d sacrifice of your time u use to pray for someone else can go a long way
Where in the Bible did Jesus Christ say that sacrificing your "time" to pray for those who are the least of these will get you a seat in the Kingdom of Heaven?

Please read Matthew 25 vs 31 -40, before you respond.
Re: Why Do We Fast? by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Oct 22, 2020
Zzor:
Fasting purifies your soul? So when witches and Pagans fast, yes, they fast in the same manner that you do, their souls are purified? Come on now... even you know that is a lie from the lying tongues of man.

Fasting, as you know today, pre-dates Judaism, and many other world religions. Its roots are not found in the Bible, and it is practised across many cultures even to this day. In much of the world, fasting is simply seen as a form of dieting... it has nothing to do with God Almighty.
In fact, if you read Isaiah 58, you would know that God did, in fact, tell you the kind of fasting He would want from you, but 1000s of years later, people still choose to fast their own way, and not according to the way God commanded.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Watch Apostle Joshua Selman - I Will Never Be The Same / Faith / Biblical Proof That No Christian Inherited Christ's Righteousness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.