Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

. . - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / . . (974 Views)

Do You Rear A Pigeon / You Can Rear A Wild Animal Up As A Pet(how True Is That) / Is It True That A Cat's Saliva Can Cause Permanent Blindness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. . by SunLight11(f): 5:50pm On Oct 21, 2020
I have a cat

Re: . . by Robinson155(m): 5:26pm On Oct 22, 2020
It’s important to begin training your kitten as soon as possible so she’ll be able to grow up to learn and respect the boundaries of your home. You don’t want your cat to be digging in the trash, tearing up your furniture or constantly jumping up on your counter. Kitten obedience training will help keep her mind and body active, teach her good social skills and behaviors, and strengthen her bond with you.

When training your kitten, it is essential to have plenty of toys at her disposal. If she starts doing something she’s not supposed to, redirect her attention to the toys. Provide them to her as a reward for avoiding bad behaviors. Having toys to play with will keep your kitten mentally and physically occupied. You can also sprinkle them with catnip to further entice her to play.

Common Cat Behavioral Problems
There are several common cat behaviors that can be addressed through obedience training, saving you a world of headaches and keeping you in tune with your cat’s needs.

Furniture scratching
Spraying and urinating
Avoiding the litter box
Aggression toward people or other animals
Stress
Fear or anxiety
Compulsive behaviors, such as over-grooming or excessively scratching or biting
How to Train a Cat
If you’re lucky, your cat will be willing and eager to learn your commands. However, there’s a chance she’ll ignore you. Every cat is different, and training can be extremely trying on your patience. Make sure to carve out small amounts of time each day to spend working with her. If you have other cats in your home, remember that they each have different personalities and have to be taught differently.

Be aware that cats do not understand or respond well to punishment. Punishment will often cause your cat to run away and hide from you, and can lead to stress, which can also breed behavioral and health problems. Encouraging good behavior with a reward is much more effective, and that reward can come in the form of praise and/or a tasty treat. This reward-based training teaches your cat to associate good behavior with positive results.

One of the most common cat training techniques is clicker training, which is another form of reward-based training. For instance, if you’d like to teach your cat to sit, click the clicker as soon as she sits down and give her a small treat. Eventually, with enough repetition, she will learn to associate the click with the behavior and the reward.

Keep training sessions short—cats have short attention spans and can get bored fast. Focus on one command at a time and move on to the next when she’s mastered the first. Practice the commands in different areas of the house so that she gets used to responding to you in different situations.

How to Address Bad Behavior in Your Cat
There could be several reasons why your cat is acting out—she might be stressed over a new change in your home, she might have a medical condition or she simply may not understand that her behavior is wrong. While you may think that your cat is misbehaving because she’s upset or spiteful toward you, this is usually not the case.

Redirecting the behavior instead of punishing her for it is more likely to put her back on track. By punishing her, she may feel threatened by you, which can ultimately lead to even more stress and bad habits. If she is fearful of you, this will also damage your bond with one another. However, she should be made aware of unwanted behaviors. One way of doing this is by connecting bad behaviors with something unpleasant. For instance, cats are averse to certain scents like perfume and citrus. You can soak cotton balls in these scents to keep your cat away from places you don’t want her to go. Always remember to praise your cat for good behaviors as well. Give her a treat for a job well done, and she will learn to associate her actions with her rewards.

3 Likes

Re: . . by SunLight11(f): 6:15pm On Oct 22, 2020
Robinson155:
It’s important to begin training your kitten as soon as possible so she’ll be able to grow up to learn and respect the boundaries of your home. You don’t want your cat to be digging in the trash, tearing up your furniture or constantly jumping up on your counter. Kitten obedience training will help keep her mind and body active, teach her good social skills and behaviors, and strengthen her bond with you.

When training your kitten, it is essential to have plenty of toys at her disposal. If she starts doing something she’s not supposed to, redirect her attention to the toys. Provide them to her as a reward for avoiding bad behaviors. Having toys to play with will keep your kitten mentally and physically occupied. You can also sprinkle them with catnip to further entice her to play.

Common Cat Behavioral Problems
There are several common cat behaviors that can be addressed through obedience training, saving you a world of headaches and keeping you in tune with your cat’s needs.

Furniture scratching
Spraying and urinating
Avoiding the litter box
Aggression toward people or other animals
Stress
Fear or anxiety
Compulsive behaviors, such as over-grooming or excessively scratching or biting
How to Train a Cat
If you’re lucky, your cat will be willing and eager to learn your commands. However, there’s a chance she’ll ignore you. Every cat is different, and training can be extremely trying on your patience. Make sure to carve out small amounts of time each day to spend working with her. If you have other cats in your home, remember that they each have different personalities and have to be taught differently.

Be aware that cats do not understand or respond well to punishment. Punishment will often cause your cat to run away and hide from you, and can lead to stress, which can also breed behavioral and health problems. Encouraging good behavior with a reward is much more effective, and that reward can come in the form of praise and/or a tasty treat. This reward-based training teaches your cat to associate good behavior with positive results.

One of the most common cat training techniques is clicker training, which is another form of reward-based training. For instance, if you’d like to teach your cat to sit, click the clicker as soon as she sits down and give her a small treat. Eventually, with enough repetition, she will learn to associate the click with the behavior and the reward.

Keep training sessions short—cats have short attention spans and can get bored fast. Focus on one command at a time and move on to the next when she’s mastered the first. Practice the commands in different areas of the house so that she gets used to responding to you in different situations.

How to Address Bad Behavior in Your Cat
There could be several reasons why your cat is acting out—she might be stressed over a new change in your home, she might have a medical condition or she simply may not understand that her behavior is wrong. While you may think that your cat is misbehaving because she’s upset or spiteful toward you, this is usually not the case.

Redirecting the behavior instead of punishing her for it is more likely to put her back on track. By punishing her, she may feel threatened by you, which can ultimately lead to even more stress and bad habits. If she is fearful of you, this will also damage your bond with one another. However, she should be made aware of unwanted behaviors. One way of doing this is by connecting bad behaviors with something unpleasant. For instance, cats are averse to certain scents like perfume and citrus. You can soak cotton balls in these scents to keep your cat away from places you don’t want her to go. Always remember to praise your cat for good behaviors as well. Give her a treat for a job well done, and she will learn to associate her actions with her rewards.

thanks so much, I bought my kitten today and it's female, I've been reading alot of blogs about cat Dynamics, thanks again

2 Likes

Re: . . by Robinson155(m): 9:53pm On Oct 22, 2020
Urw and have a lot of patience with her
Cats can be hard but fun to with it
I once had a white cat
But when I traveled
I had to sell since I couldn’t bring it along
Tho
M more of a dog person.

1 Like

Re: . . by SunLight11(f): 7:23am On Oct 23, 2020
Robinson155:
Urw and have a lot of patience with her
Cats can be hard but fun to with it
I once had a white cat
But when I traveled
I had to sell since I couldn’t bring it along
Tho
M more of a dog person.
I have two dogs already, it's just this cat life I want to experience, below is the picture of my kitten

2 Likes

Re: . . by SunLight11(f): 7:24am On Oct 23, 2020
another

2 Likes

Re: . . by K9lover: 8:41am On Oct 23, 2020
She looks just like my naya

1 Like

Re: . . by SunLight11(f): 9:13am On Oct 23, 2020
K9lover:
oh my gosh!!! Naya's so cute, I hope my Jasmine grows up to be like her��
Re: . . by K9lover: 9:36am On Oct 23, 2020
SunLight11:

oh my gosh!!!
Naya's so cute, I hope my Jasmine grows up to be like her��

With proper feeding and training, she definitely will
Be prepared for noise sha especially at night wink
Re: . . by SunLight11(f): 9:49am On Oct 23, 2020
K9lover:

With proper feeding and training, she definitely will
Be prepared for noise sha especially at night wink
your correct about that noise at night, as soon as I entered my mosquito net she started crying..... in the end she slept beside my pillow.
I shall be reaching out to you, for one or two tips about cat training.

1 Like

Re: . . by K9lover: 9:57am On Oct 23, 2020
SunLight11:

your correct about that noise at night, as soon as I entered my mosquito net she started crying..... in the end she slept beside my pillow.
I shall be reaching out to you, for one or two tips about cat training.

No problem. Here's my WhatsApp in case you need to reach me cause I may not be available here much
https:///+2348134659373

1 Like

Re: . . by Robinson155(m): 7:41pm On Oct 23, 2020
SunLight11:

I have two dogs already, it's just this cat life I want to experience, below is the picture of my kitten

Not bad
Re: . . by tshege(m): 10:38am On Nov 05, 2020
Your cat is so adorable.
I want to get one. What breed is your cat??
K9lover:

(1) (Reply)

Neapolitan Mastiff Pups From This Combo / Long Hair German Sherped / Can A Dog Turn Against His Owner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.