Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

How Do You Develop Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do You Develop Nigeria? (548 Views)

Travel Abroad With Purpose Of Returning To Develop Nigeria - Kukah Tells Youths / Iyorcha Ayu: We Will Develop Nigeria As We Did Before / Tinubu: I’m Back To Develop Nigeria’s Democracy, Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Develop Nigeria? by OruExpress: 5:19pm On Nov 12, 2020
Oya, everyone keeps saying the Nigerian government isn't or can't develop Nigeria. If you had your way, how would the process be done.
I'm wondering if the skillset is in Nigeria at all, because many of the suggestions I see on here won't work.

I'm not expert but I will challenge suggestions for feasibility.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by bobbybrown007: 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2020
lets start with restructuring first, then decentralization next, every other thing will then fall in place.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by November1857(m): 5:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
bobbybrown007:
lets start with restructuring first, then decentralization next, every other thing will then fall in place.
That is the only way ..
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 12, 2020
Even if they reconstruct Nigeria.

Each zone will still be dead.

To develop a nation takes years but we can start now by changing the mindset of the people.

1- nationalism
2- stem- focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics curriculum
3- encourage research
4- increase literacy rate.
5-focus on the basic, food, good health system and security
6-embrace capitalist system.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by bobbybrown007: 5:51pm On Nov 12, 2020
November1857:
That is the only way ..
yes
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by Sibrah: 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
OruExpress:
Oya, everyone keeps saying the Nigerian government isn't or can't develop Nigeria. If you had your way, how would the process be done.
I'm wondering if the skillset is in Nigeria at all, because many of the suggestions I see on here won't work.

I'm not expert but I will challenge suggestions for feasibility.
Like the brilliant guy above opined, restructuring is a good step. Following human psychology pattern, people need to be five the right environment for fair competition. since the above poster has mentioned that, let me talk about another approach.

It is the productivity approach. It is simple, yet complicated by competition and variety. Give people the atmosphere for productivity and watch them perform better. Take power for example, industries need it at a competitive price. If you sell power too high to industries then they will end up with inflated and uncompetitive products that cannot compete against those produced with cheaper power supply. Development isn't by channelling allocation to regions but by letting people grow into it.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by OruExpress: 7:55pm On Nov 12, 2020
bobbybrown007:

How? Once decentralized what happens next and how did centralization stop that before.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by OruExpress: 7:57pm On Nov 12, 2020
thebosstrevor1:

To develop a nation takes years but we can start now by changing the mindset of the people.

1- nationalism
3- encourage research

Research and science, how does that develop a country? What about it develops a country and how will you encourage it or make it the norm?
How do you achieve basic food, good health system and security?
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by OruExpress: 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2020
Sibrah:
Like the brilliant guy above opined, restructuring is a good step. Following human psychology pattern, people need to be five the right environment for fair competition. since the above poster has mentioned that, let me talk about another approach.

It is the productivity approach. It is simple, yet complicated by competition and variety. Give people the atmosphere for productivity and watch them perform better. Take power for example, industries need it at a competitive price. If you sell power too high to industries then they will end up with inflated and uncompetitive products that cannot compete against those produced with cheaper power supply. Development isn't by channelling allocation to regions but by letting people grow into it.

Well if the regions can't grow with allocations (free money), how will taking the allocations away help? I understand that power will help industries grow but how do you produce that power and why hasn't it been done (without saying 'corruption' or 'bad government')
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by Ozonnengltheory: 8:08pm On Nov 12, 2020
Ok
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by bobbybrown007: 8:08pm On Nov 12, 2020
OruExpress:

How? Once decentralized what happens next and how did centralization stop that before.
Decentralization system means that all the whole state will allocate with whatever resources (resource control) they have and give some % to fedral
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by bobbybrown007: 8:12pm On Nov 12, 2020
thebosstrevor1:

1- nationalism
3- encourage research

the state(s) that cant produce will merge together
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by bobbybrown007: 8:15pm On Nov 12, 2020
Sibrah:

its still the same as resource control
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by Sibrah: 8:22pm On Nov 12, 2020
OruExpress:

Well if the regions can't grow with allocations (free money), how will taking the allocations away help? I understand that power will help industries grow but how do you produce that power and why hasn't it been done (without saying 'corruption' or 'bad government')
Lol... before allocation did they grow faster or slower than they are doing now? The honest answer to that holds the answer to your confusion.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 12, 2020
OruExpress:

Research and science, how does that develop a country? What about it develops a country and how will you encourage it or make it the norm?
How do you achieve basic food, good health system and security?

Research and science help to invent new technology and help to improve productivity and standard of living

Imagine meaningful research with hood results in the heathcare sector that means people will live more longer.

For question 2.

Food

Encourage large scale farming with mechanized machineries by giving large scale farmers low interest loans, also create abundant of food storage facilities, it will increase production, ensure food security and reduce wastage.

Good health

Encourage students with good incentives to study all branches of medicine and nursing.

Increase salaries of medical doctors, make it competitive, build more hospitals, encourage and sponsored research not only in drugs but also in medical technology and softwares.

Security

Decentralized the police and encourage community policing
Increase budget of the police.
Train police to be professionals
Increase salaries.
Create a good pension, life and health insurance plan for them.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by OruExpress: 9:11pm On Nov 12, 2020
thebosstrevor1:

Research and science help to invent new technology and help to improve productivity and standard of living

Imagine meaningful research with hood results in the heathcare sector that means people will live more longer.

For question 2.

Food

Encourage large scale farming with mechanized machineries by giving farmers, also create abundant of food storage facilities, it will increase production, ensure food security and reduce wastage.

Good health

Encourage students with good incentives to study all branches of medicine and nursing.

Increase salaries of medical doctors, make it competitive, build more hospitals, encourage and sponsored research not only in drugs but also in medical technology and softwares.

Security

Decentralized the police and encourage community policing
Increase budget of the police.
Train police to be professionals
Increase salaries.
Create a good pension, life and health insurance for them.

These are great.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by OruExpress: 9:13pm On Nov 12, 2020
Sibrah:
Lol... before allocation did they grow faster or slower than they are doing now? The honest answer to that holds the answer to your confusion.

Probably slower. As much as we like to complain Nigeria is growing very rapidly and in the time of our grandparents, almost nobody can read. I didn't see fundamental change happen in my village (arguably it still hasn't happened) until the mid-2000s. If you went there in 1999, 1994 and 1988 absolutely nothing changed. Go back before that, the same. there were positive developments before the Biafran war, but that was only a period of 4 or so years.
Re: How Do You Develop Nigeria? by limeta(f): 1:08am On Nov 13, 2020
Very simple every region go their way
Let them all go start small.

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To Senator (Dr) John Akpanudoedehe / Describe Year 2020 In One Word. / Kwara Gov Commends, Refunds Women Who Built Schools With Own Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.