Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,574 members, 7,820,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First (2858 Views)

Which One Is Better: Python Django Or Php? / Jave Script Or PHP / Javascript Or PHP, Which One Should I Go For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by stanliwise(m): 11:35am On Dec 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bros no need to make any long comments nairalanders hate hearing word. The first money I ever made in programming was 300 USD writing ten lines of php code for a wordpress website. My job now pays me 250 USD a week and I use PHP and Gatsby everyday. Mind you I started learning programming ending of February this year o. It's not even up to a year sef. Me I won't even talk again. People should even learn c++ if they want.

One thing I have come to realise is that when it comes to this programming of a thing what gives you money no one will ever show it to you. Everyone Is busy with the shiny stuff lols. The most important thing in this world is money. Imagine going for your high school or university reunion and your friend asks you what you doing now. You will say you are learning programming they will ask you where you are working you will say open source projects lols. Year in year out you are working on open source projects, making new projects yet no work yet no money lol. People have been programming over 3 years now not a single Kobo but someone who knows only HTML and CSS is making bread as a HTML email developer or selling HTML templates.
Bro the idea is that coding and programming a computer is a skill. A language is a tools to help you get there. If I am C++ dev and I haven’t earn any kobo it means I haven’t learnt anything with C++ to earn. There are different manner of learning. You can learn for hobby, the passion, or for the money, or everything all join.
I started coding for passion and like of it, back then I did a lot of nice apps and good stuff but guess what, most of them where weird project that very few people would pay for. I was busy building.
Chess engine
Draught engine,
Async PHP chat engine
And online games servers.
Arduino animation libraries and more
And again I just did them in small ways(strong backend with minimal UI)

Guess what? This were really tough stuffs but no one really pays for them in this part of the world. I really don’t like coding normal website and then I knew a lot without making money.

Now come two years ago, I dumped all those hard stuff and started freelancing, during this space I did all sort of coding, JS, python, C and PHP. I just kept using different languages based on the needed requirements and library available. Now I work as a backend coder. Trust me down here I don’t know what PHP means or python.

Oga own is “get the thing done”. So if PHP is it for you don’t assume it is for someone else. I naturally done like JS but I can’t count how it saved my ass so much and how some library were live saving.
Even C self I later used it for a small project and it got me the money. So the language of a thing is a very dynamic. The skill itself and the knowledge of programming is the ko ko ko of the Matter.

So I don’t really see the point of stressing a coding language.

In Naija game programming is very hard to get paid but as hard as it is. If anyone can create something that people can like or pay for it. The person is an instant multi millionaires and could bother not working anymore.

So the idea is to learn things in a way that you can earn and not about learn this language and that. Some guys aren’t so into web and don’t even like it per say. Just like how I don’t like Frontend job and I don’t think I would even do well in that field.

9 Likes

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by stanliwise(m): 11:46am On Dec 24, 2020
cixak95211:

Thanks man . . . The very telltale sign of somebody who is very new to programming . . they bash languages.
I can tell you Javascript is better than PHP at asynchronous I/O or I can say Python excels at data processing than Javascript
but i will never tell you to learn javascript over python or python over PHP or learn Go over C++. That's very "juniorish"
When you've packed enough years in the industry, like you rightly said, languages become tools and your aim is to get the job done
using the 'best" tool that favors the "circumstances" surrounding the job requirements at that particular point in time.
if i needed to process ultra large sets of data, do you feel i should use Excel sheets on my laptop? when I could make life easier using Hadoop?
For this singular reason, does it mean I'll tell you NOT TO LEARN EXCEL?
There is a saying, “who nor go nor know”, but me I would add “but can only imagine”. Imaginations aren’t always reality and sometimes our reality is another person impossibility.

Some years ago PHP was nowhere unlike Perl and some cgi languages. But who ever will remain relevant are people who understands the concept of programming and are not tied to a particular technology

8 Likes

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 24, 2020
stanliwise:

Bro the idea is that coding and programming a computer is a skill. A language is a tools to help you get there. If I am C++ dev and I haven’t earn any kobo it means I haven’t learnt anything with C++ to earn. There are different manner of learning. You can learn for hobby, the passion, or for the money, or everything all join.
I started coding for passion and like of it, back then I did a lot of nice apps and good stuff but guess what, most of them where weird project that very few people would pay for. I was busy building.
Chess engine
Draught engine,
Async PHP chat engine

Guess what? This were really tough stuffs but no one really pays for them in this part of the world. I really don’t like coding normal website and then I knew a lot without making money.

Now come two years ago, I dumped all those hard stuff and started freelancing, during this space I did all sort of coding, JS, python, C and PHP. I just kept using different languages based on the needed requirements and library available. Now I work as a backend coder. Trust me down here I don’t know what PHP means or python.

Oga own is “get the thing done”. So if PHP is it for you don’t assume it is for someone else. I naturally done like JS but I can’t count how it saved my ass so much and how some library were live saving.
Even C self I later used it for a small project and it got me the money. So the language of a thing is a very dynamic. The skill itself and the knowledge of programming is the ko ko ko of the Matter.

In Naija game programming is very hard to get paid but as hard as it is. If anyone can create something that people can like or pay for it. The person is an instant multi millionaires and could bother not working anymore.

So the idea is to learn things in a way that you can earn and not about learn this language and that. Some guys aren’t so into web and don’t even like it per say. Just like how I don’t like Frontend job and I don’t think I would even do well in that field.
What's language did you start with ?

1 Like

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by stanliwise(m): 8:35pm On Dec 24, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

What's language did you start with ?
javascript.
But as soon as I found I love(PHP). I left it.
PHP anytime I work on my personal stuff or practice but as for on the job.
Omo na all languages o

3 Likes

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by emmy512: 8:47pm On Dec 24, 2020
stanliwise:

Chess engine
Draught engine,
Async PHP chat engine

Well said. In the process of satisfying the client you even learn more out of necessity

2 Likes

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by stanliwise(m): 12:16am On Dec 25, 2020
africanman85:
Ahh, my head Don full. I started with HTML and CSS and somebody told me to leave it start with SQL and I have purchased a course of $120 2 days ago. I want the one that will give me money fast and d steps to get there. Note am a complete novice in programming world. Abeg Abeg @tensazangetsu20 @cixak95211 @stanliwise @silento . make una show me d best part to get there. My Whatsapp contact is 08032655418
If what ever you study cannot solve someone small problem to an extent the person is willing to pay it means you have learnt the wrong thing for money or you haven’t mastered that part of the skill.
Now you are learning SQL you need to know how people earn with SQL. Do you know anyone or did the person who told you, give you a case scenario of how it works?
And if yes, how often and how profitable? What is the rate at which skill match with more pay?

1 Like

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Excallibur(m): 10:17am On Dec 25, 2020
stanliwise:
learn what first?
How many live do you have?
PHP is just as similar as python.
Here is how it works

Every good programmer has one Language they speak deeply. Then all other Languages are majorly based on event or conditions.

You really just need one bro. The concept of coding is more broad and deeper than choice of language. If you can pick FORTRAN sef, no problem, only now it has limited modern library and doesn’t support some new concept. If not, nothing is stopping it from being a nice language.

So bro concentrate on coding and programming itself and see language as just a means to it.

“Programming language” are to programming as spoken languages are to communication.
Valuable information right here, every beginner should be told this

1 Like

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Starkid3010(m): 10:19am On Dec 25, 2020
Tribers:
the question is simple I have full course on python and php and I don't know which one I should learn first

developers in the house what is your view on this
can you please share python full course with me I want to learn python also
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by emmy512: 12:14am On Dec 26, 2020
africanman85:
Ahh, my head Don full. I started with HTML and CSS and somebody told me to leave it start with SQL and I have purchased a course of $120 2 days ago. I want the one that will give me money fast and d steps to get there. Note am a complete novice in programming world. Abeg Abeg @tensazangetsu20 @cixak95211 @stanliwise @silento . make una show me d best part to get there. My Whatsapp contact is 08032655418
Somebody told you to leave it.set a goal, Start with passion, practise with expectations , work for experience
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by TechCapon(m): 8:39pm On Dec 26, 2020
cixak95211:
'

No disrespect, this comment should be voted the "most senseless comment for 2020"
Remind me,.....How old are you again?

which site is this where you get these offers from?
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by DeOTR: 12:48am On Dec 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
If you love poverty python and then pick it's framework like Django. If you love money PHP. Use your tongue to count your teeth.
How much are you making with PHP? I'll pay you double from my earnings from Python.
Good programmers know how and when to switch between languages.
The OP should start by learning C. The best way to learn is to learn the hard way.
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by ShiningStar001(m): 9:33am On Dec 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bros no need to make any long comments nairalanders hate hearing word. The first money I ever made in programming was 300 USD writing ten lines of php code for a wordpress website. My job now pays me 250 USD a week and I use PHP and Gatsby everyday. Mind you I started learning programming ending of February this year o. It's not even up to a year sef. Me I won't even talk again. People should even learn c++ if they want.

One thing I have come to realise is that when it comes to this programming of a thing what gives you money no one will ever show it to you. Everyone Is busy with the shiny stuff lols. The most important thing in this world is money. Imagine going for your high school or university reunion and your friend asks you what you doing now. You will say you are learning programming they will ask you where you are working you will say open source projects lols. Year in year out you are working on open source projects, making new projects yet no work yet no money lol. People have been programming over 3 years now not a single Kobo but someone who knows only HTML and CSS is making bread as a HTML email developer or selling HTML templates.

good morning boss .!
please can we talk on whatsapp?
should i drop my number or you'll drop yours? smiley
tensazangetsu20:

good morning boss .!
should i drop my number or you'll drop yours?
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:50am On Dec 27, 2020
ShiningStar001:

good morning boss .!
should i drop my number or you'll drop yours? smiley

good morning boss .!
should i drop my number or you'll drop yours?
Ask what you want here so others can learn.
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by cixak95211: 12:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
TechCapon:
which site is this where you get these offers from?

LinkedIn
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by ambr055i: 2:14pm On Dec 27, 2020
silento:
Learn PHP first I made over 7m from side works this year all are from PHP

I know Python very well and PHP

Python was my first language am extremely good with it but when it comes to what gets u money go for PHP

3years of using PHP I have made more money than what I have seen in Python for 6years+

This is Nigeria everybody wants the next Facebook with 50k and PHP is the only language that can allow u to do that

But if u like to suffer go for Python

This year Na only three Python work I did
And all Na just scripts

Forget all the blah blah u read about PHP about been old, etc go deep into PHP and u can make anything with it u just have to learn how to program not just PHP only

This is how I started my programming career

First I learn c
After c++
Then I learn the general fundamentals of programming

After that

I was able to switch to Python and I was writing my library in c then calling it in Python

no lack of work pushes me to PHP web
I learn HTML CSS JavaScript in under one week
Then I learn PHP for two weeks boom na me dey work dey tire

Programming fundamentals

What is variable
How to declare
How to initialize

Maths and assignment operators
Binary operators

Decision making ( if, else, etc)

Loops ( while,do-while, for, for each)

Functions
How to declare one
How to call it
Types of functions a language supports

Files
How to open, read, and create

Class if available in a language

Data types available in each language

This is all u need to understand and u can be bouncing from one language to another without issues

Be realistic, is 33 years too old to start a career in programming for someone who studied mechanical engineering? If one should start now when do you see him making cash from it. To be frank with you bro, money is motivation.

Just be real with me, using naija factor.
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by ambr055i: 2:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

One thing I have come to realise is that when it comes to this programming of a thing what gives you money no one will ever show it to you. Everyone Is busy with the shiny stuff lols. The most important thing in this world is money. Imagine going for your high school or university reunion and your friend asks you what you doing now. You will say you are learning programming they will ask you where you are working you will say open source projects lols. Year in year out you are working on open source projects, making new projects yet no work yet no money lol. People have been programming for over 3 years now not a single Kobo but someone who knows only HTML and CSS is making bread as an HTML email developer or selling HTML templates.

Bro, I'm motivated by your words. Which do you advise me to learn first, something that will bring bread daily. I want to go into programming.

Is like going to the university to study law which is a waste of time and money on law school because you and I know that law doesn't pay that well in Nigeria. Why some dudes just study a simple 4-year course get a first-class then straight up to get a job in the bank.

This boils down to my question which of the programming language pays to forget name and prestige.
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:38pm On Dec 27, 2020
ambr055i:

Bro, I'm motivated by your words. Which do you advise me to learn first, something that will bring bread daily. I want to go into programming.

Is like going to the university to study law which is a waste of time and money on law school because you and I know that law doesn't pay that well in Nigeria. Why some dudes just study a simple 4-year course get a first-class then straight up to get a job in the bank.

This boils down to my question which of the programming language pays to forget name and prestige.
This is my own opinion o and mine alone but I will advise beginners learn the basics for web development. If you are very serious this can be done in 5 months. Create a portfolio and you can start applying to jobs as a frontend developer. For the backend side pick a niche platform that developers hate and start learning the language that powers the platform alongside the platform. Do this concurrently. Once you know a Language it's very easy to pick up another one. Research on platforms like Magento, Drupal, Salesforce, SAP, WordPress and Shopify. There are more. Also prepare to take the certification exams of whatever platform you master as absolutely no one will give you a chance without being certified.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Codedboy95(m): 6:42pm On Dec 27, 2020
I'm doing pretty fine as a PHP developer but next year I want to slowly diversify into Python, why? I want to follow the trend and not be left out in the dark. PHP is still going strong, thanks to laravel but then I need to try something I know will still last 5-10 years to come. If I am going to advice a beginner, I will say learn python instead of PHP, You won't regret this decision in 2-3 years time. If it's quick money you are looking for then Learn Core of WordPress (Plugin development, theme).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Anonime1105(m): 7:47pm On Dec 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bro where did u get this job, Upwork? If no pls recommend legit remote job websites.
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:59pm On Dec 27, 2020
Anonime1105:

Bro where did u get this job, Upwork? If no pls recommend legit remote job websites.
I just posted the headless wordpress theme I was working on Reddit and someone contacted me and gave me a job. They were really interested in that technology and wanted me to rebuild their websites with that. If you are beginning just take the steps I have outlined. Corona will reduce by middle of next year and a lot of countries are really receptive to developers. Just find a profitable niche with few competition after learning the general stuff. You can check linkedin jobs. Most of the niches hardly have any competition. Their jobs would be out for days and would have very few applicants with many employers absolutely okay with sponsoring your visa if you are certified. If you are the type that learns by watching videos the niches might not be for you as no one is putting out content on that stuff. You would have to learn them by plain old reading.

7 Likes

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Anonime1105(m): 10:11pm On Dec 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I just posted the headless wordpress theme I was working on Reddit and someone contacted me and gave me a job. They were really interested in that technology and wanted me to rebuild their websites with that. If you are beginning just take the steps I have outlined. Corona will reduce by middle of next year and a lot of countries are really receptive to developers. Just find a profitable niche with few competition after learning the general stuff. You can check linkedin jobs. Most of the niches hardly have any competition. Their jobs would be out for days and would have very few applicants with many employers absolutely okay with sponsoring your visa if you are certified. If you are the type that learns by watching videos the niches might not be for you as no one is putting out content on that stuff. You would have to learn them by plain old reading.

Thanks bro for the quick response
It is well appreciated.
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by ShiningStar001(m): 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2020
ShiningStar001:

good morning boss .! please can we talk on whatsapp? should i drop my number or you'll drop yours? smiley

good morning boss .! please can we talk on whatsapp? should i drop my number or you'll drop yours?
ok sir... please btw ecmascript and php which one can i start with??
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by cixak95211: 10:03am On Dec 28, 2020
ShiningStar001:

ok sir...
please btw ecmascript and php which one can i start with??

why ecmascript ? you want to create your own scripting language?
Or you perhaps meant one of the languages based on ecmascript specifications, with the most popular being Javascript?
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by ShiningStar001(m): 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2020
smiley smiley
cixak95211:

why ecmascript ? you want to create your own scripting language?
Or you perhaps meant one of the languages based on ecmascript specifications, with the most popular being Javascript?

yes sir...
javascript
Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Etinosa1234: 8:29pm On Dec 28, 2020
ambr055i:

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Izusam: 6:15pm On Apr 30, 2022
ambr055i:

Be realistic, is 33 years too old to start a career in programming for someone who studied mechanical engineering? If one should start now when do you see him making cash from it. To be frank with you bro, money is motivation.

Just be real with me, using naija factor.

Hi, I hope you went chased the career in programming

To anyone who is trying to start a career in tech,
It's never too late to start anything in this life

Nigeria should not determine your actions

1 Like

Re: Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 30, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
If you love poverty python and then pick it's framework like Django. If you love money PHP. Use your tongue to count your teeth.
You just offended alot of people comrade python programmers outnumber PHP and they are doing very well for themselves but programmers tend to be religious so i can't really blame you like for me I think learning C first will be the very best option

(1) (2) (Reply)

Python Vs C# / 6 Programming Exercises / How Do I Use An Apache Server On Dreamweaver?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.