Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,139 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue (4952 Views)

MQTT Connectivity Protocol / Pos Terminal Connectivity To Web Server / [Help Request] Help With Database Connectivity Error (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by trinigirl1(f): 11:58am On Jul 03, 2007
Hi,

I'm using an Oracle RDB ODBC driver to connect to an Oracle database that extracts data from a system that was built using Focus.

The connection is testing successfully, however when I view the table values each column has pure gibberish, and of course, if i run a report all the columns come up blank.

Now I tried using different types of middleware provided by BO, namely the Generic and Oracle 9 and 10. They all have the same result.

I'm sure it's a BO issue, becuase I have Crystal 10 installed and ran a report using the same ODBC and the results were successful.

However I prefer to use BO for this particular report.

If anyone is familiar with developing BO universes using Designer, any suggestions as to why this is happening in BO and how I can have it resolved would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jul 03, 2007
hey dude you really sound like a certified guy am really new to this Oracle and i really want to be a programmer and i have a good knowledge of C++ and Vast in depth knowledge of computers and hardware especially operating systems but the limitation is that i am currently studying business administration in my school .will my course limit me. is there any way i can write an oracle certified exam without having to go to university to study comp sci. and also will have a job offer with it.my dream is to be a programmer because programming is my hobby,but i have to reduce it due to my course.i really don,t want to work in a bank.i worked there before and it,s quite fucking depressing.holla me pls this young boy wants a future with computer thanks.
Re: Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by Cactus(m): 3:36pm On Jul 03, 2007
check out forum topics for business objects

BI rocks

I have worked with BO6.5 and XIR2
in terms of connection problem there could be so many things wrong make sure you use proper names, test all your sql statements and make sure they generate similar results in oracle sql+ or toad. sometimes you may need to change sql statements in BO to match BO's engine.

well look at the forum on the site that should help you. not really sure how to fix ur problem

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/index.php
Re: Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by Cactus(m): 3:39pm On Jul 03, 2007
are there opportunities in trinidad for Business Objects, informatica, and datawarehousing?
Re: Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by BlkRaven(f): 8:22pm On Jul 21, 2007
Hi trini_girl

I use BusObj designer and reporter connected to extract info from an Oracle database.

[list]
[li]When you say the Oracle database extracts data from a system built using Focus, does this mean the data is not stored in the Oracle database?[/li]
[li]What version of Oracle are you using?[/li]
[li]What version of Oracle Client have you got installed on your PC?[/li]
[li]Have you been able to run BusObj reports using this Oracle database before?[/li]
[/list]

You say the connection is successful. I've never heard of Focus. If it is a database system, that *may* be the problem. I don't think you can use Oracle to extract data from another database and feed it into BusObj. You'll have to create a connection directly to the database where the data is stored.
Re: Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by Cactus(m): 2:56am On Jul 22, 2007
extraction or transformation

you can use oracle to extract data from a different db platform

this doesnt seem reasonable when there is a driver in business objects that can connect directly to the other db platform

If you have no driver for business objects for your database, well you can transform the data into oracle or into a flat file and then connect with BO.

unless u dont have a driver, then you can extract

thats what i think
Re: Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by BlkRaven(f): 3:33pm On Jul 23, 2007
Cactus
I don't dispute that one can use Oracle to extract data from a different db. What I mean is that if she's connecting to an Oracle database, the data would have to be stored [/b]in that database before it can be fed into BusObj.

I just read the OP's post again and she can see the tables in BusObj Universe designer which means she's connecting directly to the database where the data is stored. This renders my previous post invalid. However, I also just noticed that it is an [b]Oracle RDB
database, not an Oracle database. Sounds like BusObj hasn't provided any middleware for Oracle RDB so she's trying to find a workaround hence the RDB ODBC driver. BusObj Tech Support is her best bet.
Re: Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by trinigirl1(f): 11:53am On Feb 21, 2009
x
Re: Business Objects Connectivity To Oracle Rdb Database Issue by segun12: 10:25am On Feb 23, 2009
property going out for sale a duplex of 5bedroom. pls call 08033054149.

(1) (Reply)

Java Vs C++ / Storage Bindings Of Variables / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.