Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? (1748 Views)

Cyber Security Internship With No Experience / I'm Looking For Job Or An Internship As A Full Stack Web Developer / I Need A Tech Company To Do My Internship Even If It Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by Naijatask: 7:43pm On Mar 28, 2021
So, I've been learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript lately (but I intend getting an experience with react and redux before applying).

Problem is, I need to get a real life experience on how things work ( I've tried to work for free on fiverr, but fortunately, they don't have prices as 0$).

My question is, will I ever get an internship with a tech company considering I don't have a degree related to IT?

You might have asked why I wasted 5years on a course I never intended to use.

But the truth is, I actually applied for computer science and was given another course instead (you know how Nigeria institution could be sometimes :/ ).

So yeah, after spending four years, I realized the course was never for me (I'm studying estate management).

My goal is to become a front end developer before I enroll for NYSC (I'm in 400lvl And the course is a 5year course).

So, anyone know if it's possible to gain internship just with experience alone? Please someone should help me with an answer.
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:48pm On Mar 28, 2021
It's possible but it won't be easy with those skills sets you have presently and you might be offered very shitty pay ranging from 30k to 50k. If you dont mind the pay you can start applying for internships online.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by Naijatask: 8:33pm On Mar 28, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
It's possible but it won't be easy with those skills sets you have presently and you might be offered very shitty pay ranging from 30k to 50k. If you dont mind the pay you can start applying for internships online.

Thanks.

But as I've mentioned before, I'm still in the university.

I'm currently studying estate management(400lvl), a 5years course.

I intend on becoming a full fledged front end developer before I go for my NYSC.

So I intend on grasping advanced JavaScript concepts like (ajax,async,await,promises etc) during my IT which will last 6 months.

Thanks for your input once again cheesy
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by Nickisindigo(m): 8:40pm On Mar 28, 2021
I noticed its not easy getting into tech in nigeria as self taught developer and again without computer science degree

I once saw a tech company job posting intending to offer a senior software engineer around 80k-150k as salary
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by Naijatask: 9:43pm On Mar 28, 2021
Nickisindigo:
I noticed its not easy getting into tech in nigeria as self taught developer and again without computer science degree

I once saw a tech company job posting intending to offer a senior software engineer around 80k-150k as salary

Senior software engineer? sad wouldn't it be better I become a freelancer who charges 50$ in every project? Trust me, software developers have been reduced to slaves by employers who thought they could do what they want because of the way the country has become :/ .
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by Karleb(m): 9:55pm On Mar 28, 2021
Nickisindigo:

Those ones don't know what they want.

I do see their ads on Facebook and even LinkedIn, some would even say 60 - 80k for Full Stack Developers. cheesy

Personally, I believe some unscrupulous people/start ups try to take advantage of upcoming devs. There was the saga of WeJapa and recently @HackSultan was dragging one company on twitter.

If writers can earn well both in Naira and Dollar, why can't Devs?
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
Karleb:

I do see their ads on Facebook and even LinkedIn, some would even say 60 - 80k for Full Stack Developers. cheesy

Personally, I believe some unscrupulous people/start ups try to take advantage of upcoming devs. There was the saga of WeJapa and recently @HackSultan was dragging one company on twitter.

Honestly most guys who merit that title of senior developer are in demand both in Nigeria and abroad and are offered Millions as salaries. No senior developer in this Nigeria will even accept 500k now except the person doesn't know his worth.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by Karleb(m): 10:41pm On Mar 28, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly most guys who merit that title of senior developer are in demand both in Nigeria and abroad and are offered Millions as salaries. No senior developer in this Nigeria will even accept 500k now except the person doesn't know his worth.

Another thing about senior devs is that there are excess work for them. Some of them don't even take work anymore.

What these stupidd companies do is that they create artificial job scarcity with their mouths and also tell their would be victims that there are more developers than jobs. Both are false by the way.

Then they take advantage of the naive devs.

No serious devs would fall for these.

Why would I work for 80k per month when I can make that same amount on nairaland here?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:46pm On Mar 28, 2021
Karleb:

Another thing about senior devs is that there are excess work for them. Some of them don't even take work anymore.

What these stupidd companies do is that they create artificial job scarcity with their mouths and also tell their would be victims that there are more developers than jobs. Both are false by the way.

Then they take advantage of the naive devs.

No serious devs would fall for these.

Why would I work for 80k per month when I can make that same amount on nairaland here?
I laugh when I see this. The internet as we all know it isn't even up to 30 years old. Tech giants all ruling the world today aren't even up to 25 years old. Most of the world still doesn't even have the same internet capacity as the west so I shudder to think what will happen when the rest of the world catches up. The supply can not just ever meet the demand at all.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by Nickisindigo(m): 7:23am On Mar 29, 2021
Karleb:

I came late to that gist
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by Yohnshogun: 9:51pm On Mar 31, 2021
Please I am looking for an undergraduate internship in any engineering firm. I am undergraduate (400 lvl) of Mechatronics engineering in a Federal University in Nigeria. I stay in lagos state. Please quote me if you have any opportunity.
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by alexmicheal500: 10:34am On May 15, 2022
Yes it is very possible to get a tech internship. I will introduce the Bincom Dev Centre Tech internship where you can acquire first class experience in tech related fields such as python, PHP, project management, devops, graphic design and others. To learn more, visit bincomdevcenter.net
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by alexmicheal500: 4:19pm On Jul 18, 2022
It is very possible. To get information about getting tech internship, visit www.bincom.net. You will get all you need to get started and even more in tech.
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by alexmicheal500: 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2022
It is very possible. To get information about getting tech internship, visit www.bincom.net. You will get all you need to get started and even more in tech.
Re: Is It Possible To Gain An Internship With A Tech Company? by alexmicheal500: 5:24pm On Aug 01, 2022
It is very possible. To get information about getting tech internship, visit www.bincom.net. You will get all you need to get started and even more in tech. I promise you will not be disappointed

(1) (Reply)

Am Finding It Hard To Learn Python Programming. / Kali Linux: I Need Help Operating It / Hiring Programmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.