Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,168 members, 7,811,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? (2195 Views)

TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by Godmother(f): 8:42am On Apr 27, 2011
My girlfriend sometimes pays her tithe to a pastor of a church she attends. She actually attends two churches. I have tried warning her about this. My fear is that if this man is not a true man of God, then she is just 'dashing' him her money.

And he doesnt really have a church. Just a kind of saturday fellowship where 6 to 10 people meet at his house from morning to evening
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by TeeJay6(m): 8:44am On Apr 27, 2011
Godmother:

My girlfriend sometimes pays her tithe to a pastor of a church she attends. She actually attends two churches. I have tried warning her about this. My fear is that if this man is not a true man of God, then she is just 'dashing' him her money.

And he doesnt really have a church. Just a kind of saturday fellowship where 6 to 10 people meet at his house from morning to evening
You have a girlfriend? shocked shocked shocked
@op
I dont pay to a pastor, just the church i attend
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by KunleOshob(m): 10:52am On Apr 27, 2011
@Godmother

In the first instance, true christians are not supposed to tithe as it is an outdated Jewish teaching which was never admitted into christianity by Jesus or the apostles. Tithing as it is preached and practised today is a fraudulent manipulation of old testament scripture to suit the pockets of those advocating. Christians are not under those obsolete laws so any pastor demanding tithes from you is either incompetent or just a common crook. Several articles have been written on tithes on this forum, you may wish to search on the topic.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by Godmother(f): 11:09am On Apr 27, 2011
KunleOshob:

@Godmother

[b]In the first instance, true christians are not supposed to tithe as it is an outdated Jewish teaching which was never admitted into christianity by Jesus or the apostles. [/b]Tithing as it is preached and practised today is a fraudulent manipulation of old testament scripture to suit the pockets of those advocating. Christians are not under those obsolete laws so any pastor demanding tithes from you is either incompetent or just a common crook. Several articles have been written on tithes on this forum, you may wish to search on the topic.

Excuse me shocked shocked shocked Pls read your Bible very well and dont post something you are not sure of. Its commanded in the BIBLE FOR YOU TO PAY ONE TENTH OF YOUR EARNINGS. If you personally dont want to do so, then just say so, instead of quoting something you are not sure of.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by Joagbaje(m): 11:13am On Apr 27, 2011
Godmother:

You ought to have one pastor at a time. And you give your tithes and offering there. In the church where God  has planted you through the pastor you are submitted to. Every pastor is not you pastor.

1 Corinthians 4:15-16 (living)
15 For although you may have ten thousand others to teach you about Christ, remember that you have only me as your father. For I was the one who brought you to Christ when I preached the Gospel to you. 16 So I beg you to follow my example and do as I do.

But if you feel led to sow into the life of another person either he is a pastor or not , you are free to do so but not with the tithe.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by wetu: 4:21pm On Apr 27, 2011
I hope you are planning to get married soon, congratulations. 6-10 people can also be a church:

Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

God doesn't need big buildings and big ministries (not that they are bad) but the things which are valued highly by men, God hates:

Luk 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Ideally your girlfriend must attend one of the two churches but it may just be that God is blessing her differently at both places and God could be using her at both places. As for tithes, they are not commanded by God but God, but God said we should give out of our own heart. We can argue about tithes the whole year but the fact is that many Christians do not tithe but all Christians give. That's all that is required in the New Testament. Galatians 3-5 and 2 Corinthians 8-12. It's a lot of scriptues but it clears up any confusion that comes from verse-picking.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by KunleOshob(m): 7:32am On Apr 28, 2011
@Godmother

There is absolutely no scripture in the bible that asks or even mandates christians to give a tenth of their earnings in church. However there are commandments to the jewsih people under the law to give a tenth of their farm produce to orphans, widows and levites. This law is not applicable to christians as christians are not under the law. The popular Mal 3:8-10 used to extort tithes from believers is the most abused scripture in the bible as it is twisted and fraudulently manipulated to justify mordern version of tithing which is totally different from the biblical one. If you want to know how God defined biblical tithing, I suggest you read deut 14:22-29. If you read it you would realize what is being preached today is a fraud. That apart the tithing law was annulled for christians in the new testament, you may wish to read hebrews 7:5-19 to confirm this.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by TeeJay6(m): 12:53pm On Apr 28, 2011
KunleOshob:

@Godmother

There is absolutely no scripture in the bible that asks or even mandates christians to give a tenth of their earnings in church. However there are commandments to the jewsih people under the law to give a tenth of their farm produce to orphans, widows and levites. This law is not applicable to christians as christians are not under the law. The popular Mal 3:8-10 used to extort tithes from believers is the most abused scripture in the bible as it is twisted and fraudulently manipulated to justify mordern version of tithing which is totally different from the biblical one. If you want to know how God defined biblical tithing, I suggest you read deut 14:22-29. If you read it you would realize what is being preached today is a fraud. That apart the tithing law was annulled for christians in the new testament, you may wish to read hebrews 7:5-19 to confirm this.
The scripture makes no reference to any annulment of tithing lays
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by KunleOshob(m): 1:06pm On Apr 28, 2011
@teejay

Read hebrews 7:11-12 again the tithing law mentioned in verse 5 was effectively annulled their. Also verse 18 describe tithing as a weak, useless and unprofitable law.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by TeeJay6(m): 1:48pm On Apr 28, 2011
^^^ The law being referred to as weak and useless is the law whereby only Levites are to be ordained as priests. The preceeding verses talks about the fact that Jesus a descendant of Judah is the "High Priest" Versus 13-15, and verse 18-19 then says that the law whereby only Levites are to become priests had been effectively annuled by the "Priesthood" of Jesus. Any reference to tithing is merely to reference to the office of priests and not in any way the discontinuance of the tenet.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by KunleOshob(m): 3:03pm On Apr 28, 2011
@teejay
That's your opinion you just gave, not what the scriptures clearly statement. The fact remains that tithing was a part of the defunct levitical priesthood and it was NEVER adopted into the priesthood of christ. Another fact is that the type of tithing preached and practised today is not biblical but rather a fraudulent manipulation of the biblical one. The deut passage clearly states how biblical tithes shd be implemented as opposed to the man made version touted about today.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by TeeJay6(m): 3:21pm On Apr 28, 2011
KunleOshob:

@teejay
That's your opinion you just gave, not what the scriptures clearly statement. The fact remains that tithing was a part of the defunct levitical priesthood and it was NEVER adopted into the priesthood of christ. Another fact is that the type of tithing preached and practised today is not biblical but rather a fraudulent manipulation of the biblical one. The deut passage clearly states how biblical tithes shd be implemented as opposed to the man made version touted about today.
I think to suggest that any part of the bible is now irrelevant because of Jesus is very incorrect. He even confirmed in Matthew 5:17 that He has come to fulfill the law and not to abolish it. We also know from John 1:1-12 that "In the beginning was the Word(Jesus)" so and "For ever oh Lord thy Word is settled" Psalm 119:89 so cherry picking one aspect of the bible and claiming that other aspect is no longer relevant can't be right
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by Joagbaje(m): 4:33pm On Apr 28, 2011
Tee_Jay:

The scripture makes no reference to any annulment of tithing lays

Tee-Jay , you are absolutely correct . There is no single scripture that says tithing was anuled . Even though the law was anuled ,tithing preceeded the law and also outlive the law. The levitical priesthood is over. The church has become the ground of truth. And God expects us to fulfill obligations in the church as men did under the OT.

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by REALTRUTH1: 5:16pm On Apr 28, 2011
The truth is that as a christian,,I strongly believe a lot of things are wrong with the way christianity is practiced this day. I used to believe in tithing but right now I do not believe in it,,,aside from Kunleosho's position on tithe,,,there has been a lot of publications and right ups about tithing.
Some of us followed these pastors by believing everything they say,,,this is absolutely wrong,,,During the recession,,about 2yrs ago,,a reknowned pastor in Nigeria who is probably worshipped by his members said the recession would last 7yrs,,I did not believe that,,this same pastor said if you don't tithe your pocket would be tight,,,he further said that the only way you escape the recession from affecting you is by tithing,,,
I refused to mention this pastor here,,,but for those following trends in Nigeria would definitely know who am talking about,,as an individual,,and a christian,,,I have been super naturally blessed beyond measures in this recession,,and don't tithe,,,but I give a lot cos I know and have a responsibilty to both help and support people that are close to him that needed help.
My concept of tithing is in agreement with pastor Tunde Bakare,,,he used to believe in tithes but right now he does not,,,but if you belong to a church just like any organisation,,,you have a responsility to support the church financially,,,
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by Joagbaje(m): 5:35pm On Apr 28, 2011
Several pastors have approach tithing in different wrong way. Some also have said if you dont tithe God will put a curse on you.etc. But that doesn't make tithing wrong. The issue is not what a pastor said. Tithing is based on principles of faith. There is no scripture where God puts an end to that principle. Just like prayer, worship, honouring your parents etc. These are principles and not commandments. If you don't tithe , don't boast against it. It's like a man that says he doesn't pray and he still makes money or he doesn't go to church again and he didn't die. Does that make him right? NO .You may not know what you're missing. Cup don't get filled overnight. Some things takes time to show .but don't boast against the word. I once heard a boy call God stupid and he asked did I die?
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by REALTRUTH1: 5:48pm On Apr 28, 2011
Joagbaje:

Several pastors have approach tithing in different wrong way. Some also have said if you dont tithe God will put a curse on you.etc. But that doesn't make tithing wrong. The issue is not what a pastor said. Tithing is based on principles of faith. There is no scripture where God puts an end to that principle. Just like prayer, worship, honouring your parents etc. These are principles and not commandments. If you don't tithe , don't boast against it. It's like a man that says he doesn't pray and he still makes money or he doesn't go to church again and he didn't die. Does that make him right? NO .You may not know what you're missing. Cup don't get filled overnight. Some things takes time to show .but don't boast against the word. I once heard a boy call God silly and he asked did I die?
I probably want to assume that you were responding to my post,,,I have a very strong faith in God and his word,,but an absolute no trust or confidence in 99% of Nigerian pastors,,and many pastors in the world. Am sure God is certainly unhappy at the way the church is today,,everybody wakes up from the corner of their bed and dreams of being pastor. The most abused book in the world today is the Bible,,and the most abused name is Jesus,,,A situation where you have more than Fourty-thousand different confused denomination using one Bible to explain or describe God or Jesus,,whereas in most cases these fourty thousand different denominations don't believe in thesame thing is a complete state of confussion,,,
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by Zikkyy(m): 5:54pm On Apr 28, 2011
Joagbaje:

tithing preceeded the law and also outlive the law. The levitical priesthood is over. The church has become the ground of truth. And God expects us to fulfill obligations in the church as men did under the OT.

What obligations? if you say tithing preceeds the law, then provide here evidence that this tithing obligation to the church also preceeds the law. You dont need the law to justify your tithing practice angry
Re: Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? by Zikkyy(m): 6:08pm On Apr 28, 2011
Tee_Jay:

I think to suggest that any part of the bible is now irrelevant because of Jesus is very incorrect. He even confirmed in Matthew 5:17 that He has come to fulfill the law and not to abolish it. We also know from John 1:1-12 that "In the beginning was the Word(Jesus)" so and "For ever oh Lord thy Word is settled" Psalm 119:89 so cherry picking one aspect of the bible and claiming that other aspect is no longer relevant can't be right

So, is burnt offering still relevant

Joagbaje:

Several pastors have approach tithing in different wrong way. Some also have said if you dont tithe God will put a curse on you.etc.

I gree with you Jo smiley but reading further . . . . . .

Joagbaje:

You may not know what you're missing. Cup don't get filled overnight. Some things takes time to show .

i see you making similar threats smiley i guess it okay for me to say you belong to the group of pastors that have 'approached tithing in different wrong ways' wink

(1) (Reply)

Why You Must Hate Poverty / Do Atheist Believe Satan Exist? / Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.