Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Wireless Charging Explained - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Wireless Charging Explained (997 Views)

Fast Charging - Explained / Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry / How Wireless Charging Works On Android Phones And How To Get It On Your Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wireless Charging Explained by atheistandproud(m): 12:12pm On May 17, 2021
My articles are free to use but always add the link or a credit stating where it was gotten below it. I have been meeting my articles being plagiarized in so many places. This shameless plagiarism has to stop.

I have contracted the services of a copyright lawyer and I will sue whoever plagiarizes or copies my work without my consent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The wireless revolution started in the 1980 and is gradually starting to come of age. A huge landmark of this revolution is Wireless Charging. Before now, when most people think about charging, wires always come to mind. Not anymore. Wireless charging has come and it is here to stay.

What is Wireless Charging?

Wireless charging can be defined as charging a device without having to physically plug it to a charging cable.

How it works?

Wireless charging works by using inductive charging. Inductive charging means using one electrically charged body to create (induce) electricity in another body, inside an electromagnetic field without the two of them touching.

Here is how it works. Inside the charger, there is a magnetic loop antenna (copper coil wound around a magnet). When electric current is supplied to the charger, it creates an electromagnetic field that induces current in a receiver coil on the phone.

There are three types of wireless charging:

1. Tightly coupled electromagnetic inductive coupling (non-radiative charging)
2. Loosely coupled electromagnetic resonant coupling (radiative charging)
3. Uncoupled radio frequency wireless charging (trickle charge)

1. Tightly coupled electromagnetic inductive coupling (non-radiative charging)

This type of wireless charging requires that the phone be placed exactly over the magnetic loop in the wireless charger. If it is not placed properly, the device won’t charge properly and sometimes not at all.

2 Loosely coupled electromagnetic resonant coupling (radiative charging)
Electronic magnetic resonant coupling means the addition of capacitors to both the magnetic loop antenna on the charger and the receiver coil on the phone. This increases efficiency and power delivery during charging. In this case, you do not have to place the phone at a particular spot so it can charge. You can place it anywhere on the wireless charging pad and it will charge just fine.
Radiative charging is better (i.e. faster and more efficient) than non-radiative charging.

3. Uncoupled radio frequency wireless charging (trickle charge)

This type of charging does not require the phone to be anywhere near the charger at all, but only within a certain range. This type of charging is very convenient but it is also very slow.

Wireless Charging Standards

There were three main standards for wireless charging. They were Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP), Power Matters Alliance (PMA) and the Wireless Power Consortium (WPC).

The Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) which is made up of Google, Apple, Verizon and other big manufacturers became the dominant force in the market and put out the Qi (pronounced as ‘Chee’) standard. Qi is the most widely used charging standard in the world today.

In order to challenge WPC’s Qi, the A4WP and PMA decided to combine and form an entirely new standard. This standard is known as the Air Fuel Alliance (AFA). It is made up of big names such as Dell, Duracell, Samsung, Qualcomm etc. The charging standard known as Powermat was pushed by the AFA as a challenger to the Qi standard. The two charging standards are not compatible with one another.

Qi remains the main charging standard in the smartphone world. WPC also allows different OEMs to modify their Qi technology. This has given birth to the rise of several proprietary charging technologies that play well with one another. A lot of different charger and powerbank manufacturers have taken advantage of it. There are now different types of wireless charging pads as well as powerbanks in the market today.

Xiaomi have also taken things further with their Air charge technology which guarantees 5W wireless charging from every part of your home.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2021/05/15/wireless-charging/

Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Topmaike007(m): 10:24pm On May 17, 2021
Ftc....

Such an interesting post..

Transsion can never build gadget with such a feature

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Explained by atheistandproud(m): 11:00pm On May 17, 2021
Topmaike007:
Ftc....

They're still struggling with fast charge, you wan come add wireless charge join?

You're weeeeeked grin

2 Likes

Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Topmaike007(m): 11:04pm On May 17, 2021
atheistandproud:

They're still struggling with fast charge, you wan come add wireless charge join?

You're weeeeeked grin
as in ehhn there gadgets are just quack... In this age when companies are introducing new features Transsion are still lagging behind..
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by atheistandproud(m): 11:05pm On May 17, 2021
Topmaike007:
as in ehhn there gadgets are just quack... In this age when companies are introducing new features Transsion are still lagging behind..

But their diehard fans said they have flagship without neither water resistance or wireless charging.

What can I say?
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Topmaike007(m): 11:36pm On May 17, 2021
atheistandproud:

But their diehard fans said they have flagship without neither water resistance or wireless charging.

What can I say?
it still baffles me on how there flagship don't support water resistant not to talk about using snapdragon processor in building there flagship gadget

2 Likes

Re: Wireless Charging Explained by saratackit: 9:36am On May 18, 2021
Have you bought the phone and soak it inside waater to know that?

Well have seen reviewers do that
Topmaike007:
it still baffles me on how there flagship don't support water resistant not to talk about using snapdragon processor in building there flagship gadget
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Penterprise: 3:18am On May 19, 2021
This is nice and am seeing only one brand in Nigeria that can develop this just a matter of time...
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by chocoboi: 8:59am On May 20, 2021
Penterprise:
This is nice and am seeing only one brand in Nigeria that can develop this just a matter of time...

And which brand is it...
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Freelancerx: 8:41pm On May 23, 2021
Topmaike007:
Ftc....

Can never? You be their engineer?

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Ajilenu: 5:48am On May 24, 2021
I wish brands can all adopt this technology
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Ajilenu: 6:13am On May 24, 2021
Freelancerx:
i tire o

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Freelancerx: 8:17am On May 24, 2021
Ajilenu:
i tire o
LOL grin
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by selfdefence: 1:31pm On May 24, 2021
what are you even saying the ones they have built were you the one that built it for them?
Topmaike007:
Ftc....

Re: Wireless Charging Explained by selfdefence: 1:32pm On May 24, 2021
as in the thing just tire me sef
Freelancerx:
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Principalw: 6:29pm On May 24, 2021
No mind am, he is playing god.
Freelancerx:
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by investigator007: 7:06pm On May 24, 2021
lol, funny enough i wouldn't be shocked if they are one of the first to launch that feature.
Topmaike007:
Ftc....

Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Freelancerx: 1:54pm On May 30, 2021
Principalw:
No mind am, he is playing god.
that's how they do
Re: Wireless Charging Explained by Freelancerx: 1:55pm On May 30, 2021
selfdefence:
as in the thing just tire me sef
grin na normal thing for them

(1) (Reply)

Samsung S6 Edge ...for 35k(sold) / My Infinix Note 7 Software Just Disappeared / Urgent Pls: How Much Is Brand New Iphone 11 Pro Max In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.