Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,502 members, 7,816,193 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? (3046 Views)

Why Moslems Are Now Turning To Atheism. / The So Called Dedicated Christains And Moslems Are The Most Wicked On Earth / Christians And Moslems Can Be Friends! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by IDINRETE: 9:38am On Jul 16, 2007
this incident was reported in THIS DAY   http://odili.net/news/source/2007/jul/15/223.html

Man commits suicide for failure to memorise Holy Quran
Sunday, July 15, 2007

A 25-year-old man, Abdullahi Maidawa, of Mamawa village in Bagudo Local Government area of Kebbi, has allegedly committed suicide over his inability to memorise the Holy Quran.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Maidawa bathed himself with petrol in his room and set himself on fire.

He was alleged to have claimed that the action was in protest against his failure to master the Quran after about eight years of intensive studies.

Alhaji Muktari Ibrahim, the Police Commissioner in the state, confirmed the incident today in Birnin Kebbi in an interview with NAN.

He said all efforts to save the life of the deceased after he was rescued by the police yielded no positive result.

Ibrahim said the deceased died at a comprehensive health centre in Bogudo, here he was rushed to for treatment.

He said Maidawa had told police detectives on his hospital bed that he decided to take his life because he was "an orphan".

The commissioner said the deceased also cited his inability to memorise the Holy Quran as another reason for his action.

He said the police were unable to Btrace Maidawa's relations, and that he had been given a befitting burial on Thursday by the district head of Bagudo.

IF PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO AND READY TO KILL THEMSELVES JUST BECAUSE OF  RELIGIOUS BOOKS, THE VALUE OF NON-ADHERENTS TO THEIR FAITH IS THEN WORTHLESS. NOW, I CAN UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE OF KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL THAT HAVE BEEN INDOCTRINATED INTO THEIR FEEBLE MINDS.
ANYWAY IT IS NOT SUPRISING, HAS IT IS BEING REPORTED THAT 72 VIRGINS OR SO ARE WAITING FOR THE MARTYRS IN ALJANNA OR WHATEVER PLACE THAT PLACE IS
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Orikinla(m): 8:46pm On Jul 16, 2007
Nigerian Muslim Commits Suicide After Failing To Learn Koran

A 25-year-old Nigerian man Abdullahi Maidawa, set himself on fire by dousing himself in petrol and lighting it, because he failed to learn the Koran off by heart after eight years of devoted study. He later died from severe burns, police said on Saturday.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by OgidiBoy(m): 8:51pm On Jul 16, 2007
I thought Islam was a religion of peace shocked shocked shocked
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 16, 2007
Is he classified as a suicide bomber? Will alah grant him al jaanat without having to go down into hell?
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 16, 2007
Orikinla:

Nigerian Muslim Commits Suicide After Failing To Learn Koran

A 25-year-old Nigerian man Abdullahi Maidawa, set himself on fire by dousing himself in petrol and lighting it, because he failed to learn the Koran off by heart after eight years of devoted study. He later died from severe burns, police said on Saturday.

I hope he was able to secure his "abunna" from the fire,he might just need it in jannat,ROFL
Was he Rev king's brother?

You see what this Koran is doing to people?
If only someone preached THE LIVING WORD to him,that may have opened his eyes.
Ignorance is indeed worse than a cancer
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jul 16, 2007
OgidiBoy:

I thought Islam was a religion of peace shocked shocked shocked

The guy burnt in peace grin grin
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by nguage(m): 9:07pm On Jul 16, 2007
lmao. thank god (allah) he died alone.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by pilgrim1(f): 10:30pm On Jul 16, 2007
It's quite a sad case, really. My heart breaks for people like that, because I know firsthand what it means to live with such kind of frustration at trying to please (allah) of Islam; only to find you're not getting anywhere.

Due to my very busy schedule when I saw the report earlier in another thread (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-66264.0.html#msg1294437), it was not possible for me to post a reply. But here's what I think:

From a fair perspective that incident does not help the conclusion reached. That someone committed suicide for not having been able to master the Qur'an is not enough grounds to infer that Muslims commit suicide on such sad reasons.

Sad to say, there are reports of professed Christians who have committed suicide for just about any reason that may sound hilarious to some of us. I still remember one such where a local pastor in Plateau State was said to have taken his life on anguish of having sinned by fornicating with a teenager. But that would not mean that Christians are thereby ready to commit suicide by the same stretch of the story of this thread.

However, we should understand the backdrop of the ideology that led that young man to take his own life. In Islam, forgetting any part of the Qur'an was regarded as a grievous sin - according to Muhammad himself. Let's see one such reference:

Sunan Abu-Dawud, Bk 2, #0461:
'Narrated Anas ibn Malik: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The rewards of my people were presented before me, so much so that even the reward for removing a mote by a person from the mosque was presented to me. The sins of my people were also presented before me. I did not find a sin greater than that of a person forgetting the Qur'anic chapter or verse memorised by him.

This is just one example to show that according to Muhammad, there was no sin greater than forgetting a chapter or verse of the Qur'an (nevermind that Muhammad himself committed that sin!).

From the above, one may begin to understand what might have settled in that young man's mind, and consequently led him to take his own life for not having been able to master the Qur'an after several attempts for over an 8 year period. May God have mercy on him - and many others going through such frustrations.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by OgidiBoy(m): 10:38pm On Jul 16, 2007
pilgrim.1:

It's quite a sad case, really. My heart breaks for people like that, because I know firsthand what it means to live with such kind of frustration at trying to please (allah) of Islam; only to find you're not getting anywhere.

Due to my very busy schedule when I saw the report earlier in another thread (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-66264.0.html#msg1294437), it was not possible for me to post a reply. But here's what I think:

From a fair perspective that incident does not help the conclusion reached. That someone committed suicide for not having been able to master the Qur'an is not enough grounds to infer that Muslims commit suicide on such sad reasons.

Sad to say, there are reports of professed Christians who have committed suicide for just about any reason that may sound hilarious to some of us. I still remember one such where a local pastor in Plateau State was said to have taken his life on anguish of having sinned by fornicating with a teenager. But that would not mean that Christians are thereby ready to commit suicide by the same stretch of the story of this thread.

However, we should understand the backdrop of the ideology that led that young man to take his own life. In Islam, forgetting any part of the Qur'an was regarded as a grievous sin - according to Muhammad himself. Let's see one such reference:

'Narrated Anas ibn Malik: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The rewards of my people were presented before me, so much so that even the reward for removing a mote by a person from the mosque was presented to me. The sins of my people were also presented before me. I did not find a sin greater than that of a person forgetting the Qur'anic chapter or verse memorised by him.

This is just one example to show that according to Muhammad, there was no sin greater than forgetting a chapter or verse of the Qur'an (nevermind that Muhammad himself committed that sin!).

From the above, one may begin to understand what might have settled in that young man's mind, and consequently led him to take his own life for not having been able to master the Qur'an after several attempts for over an 8 year period. May God have mercy on him - and many others going through such frustrations.

My friend all you doing is talking rubbish and taking up valuable space, if what that fool did is so glorified, why don't you go do the same. I 've always said the fewer of you people in this world, the better for the rest of us. "Nonsense"
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by pilgrim1(f): 10:41pm On Jul 16, 2007
@OgidiBoy,

OgidiBoy:

My friend all you doing is talking rubbish and taking up valuable space, if what that fool did is so glorified, why don't you go do the same.

Where have I hinted that what he did was 'glorified'?

OgidiBoy:

I 've always said the fewer of you people in this world, the better for the rest of us. "Nonsense"

Just a sensible line from my post to point out your misgivings would do.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by feelgood(m): 11:24pm On Jul 16, 2007
Couldnt agree more with your last post dear pilgrim1. Sure Couldnt find what got his adrenalin up,  But then different strokes m'lady.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Esss(m): 11:33pm On Jul 16, 2007
This is the problem with religion in general. Every religion has its ups and downs. Muslims flying planes into buildings, setting themselves ablaze, "sharia"ing themselves, e.t.c. Christians gathering themselves together in a room and poisoning themselves, selling off their properties in anticipation of the second coming of Jesus, e.t.c, Juju/idol worshipers sacrificing animals and humans to appease a deity, subjecting themselves to inhuman conditions/treatments in a bid to be favored by the gods e.t.c.

If islam should be eradicated, then so should all other religions.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by WesleyanA(f): 11:37pm On Jul 16, 2007
OMG people commit suicide all the freaking time.
why do you guys have to assume that his religion caused him to commit suicide?
people do it 'cause life disappoint them etc
(the guy was most likely lonely and had no life or probably having problems, like most people who commit suicide.)
even if he succeeded in learning the koran, it will probably have led him to take on another quest that was impossible for him to achieve. probably was just looking for some meaning to life. poor soul.
i grief for his family. if they had noticed early signs of depression in their kid. lol

i actually just heard about a suicide case. and the guy involved was christian. they just recently had his memorial.

Esss:

This is the problem with religion in general. Every religion has its ups and downs. Muslims flying planes into buildings, setting themselves ablaze, "sharia"ing themselves, e.t.c. Christians gathering themselves together in a room and poisoning themselves, selling off their properties in anticipation of the second coming of Jesus, e.t.c, Juju/idol worshipers sacrificing animals and humans to appease a deity, subjecting themselves to inhuman conditions/treatments in a bid to be favored by the gods e.t.c.

If islam should be eradicated, then so should all other religions.

thank you!!!
actually reminds me of the pastor in the 70s i think that led a revival and poisoned and killed the hundreds of people that followed him on the revival including himself.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by debosky(m): 11:42pm On Jul 16, 2007
how is it an assumption? they said the man had failed woefully to learn the Koran after 8 tortuous years, that is enough cause for suicide if you ask me, it is very shameful to undergo such studies and fail, especially for a hard core northern muslim. its like an aspiring chemist not being able to recognise elements of the periodic table after 8 years of study - utter failure and frustration drive people to extreme ends. cry

we know suicide is not restricted by religion, but the cause of his suicide seems strongly liked to his Koran failure. sad, but true
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by OgidiBoy(m): 11:46pm On Jul 16, 2007
I'm still waiting to hear that some christian some where in the world burned him/her self for not understanding the Bible.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by WesleyanA(f): 11:57pm On Jul 16, 2007
debosky:

how is it an assumption? they said the man had failed woefully to learn the Koran after 8 tortuous years, that is enough cause for suicide if you ask me,

i was referring to the person who said "this is what the koran is doing to people"
'cause the koran definitely doesn't say "kill yourself if you can't memorize me in 8 years"

it is very shameful to undergo such studies and fail, especially for a hard core northern muslim. its like an aspiring chemist not being able to recognise elements of the periodic table after 8 years of study -

so you're telling me that if given a time frame of 8 years, you'll be able to memorize the bible from the first verse of genesis to the last verse of revelation?
keep in mind you're an ordinary human not an einstein clone.
can your pastor do this?

you can't compare this ordeal to chemist recognizing elements. that's a task they teach to middle school kids.

utter failure and frustration drive people to extreme ends. cry

feeling of utter failure and frustration drive people to extreme ends.

there are some people who have it realllly bad and don't commit suicide because they feel optimistic, encouraged etc
and there are those that have it good (or at least it seems like it to onlookers) but they commit suicide 'cause they feel like a failure.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by WesleyanA(f): 12:04am On Jul 17, 2007
anyways, did this guy leave a suicide note or something? what's the source to this news?
people should have recognized signs etc before he took his life.

thank God the guy who shot kids at Virginia Tech wasn't Muslim. apparently, he did it because he was depressed.
if he were muslim, depression/ frustration doesn't count. lol it's his nasty religion that forced him to do it.

sometimes i wonder if people are unconsciously prejudiced.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Orikinla(m): 12:08am On Jul 17, 2007
Yes, ignorance kills.

But this post was not meant to attack any religion.

Let us show the light to those who still grope in the darkness.

“Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.”
~ Thomas Jefferson
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by WesleyanA(f): 12:12am On Jul 17, 2007
IDINRETE:

He said[b] Maidawa had told police detectives on his hospital bed that he decided to take his life because he was "an orphan". [/b]

The commissioner said the deceased also cited his inability to memorise the Holy Quran as another reason for his action.

He said the police were unable to Btrace Maidawa's relations, and that he had been given a befitting burial on Thursday by the district head of Bagudo.

you're stupid. the lonely orphan has no family, friends whatsoever. nobody was there with him throughout his life and you are surprised that he commited suicide. plus, memorizing the koran was cited as a secondary reason. did anyone asked him why he was trying to memorize the koran?

this topic is offensive to muslims IMO. asking them if they're ready to commit suicide just because a depressed guy did.

well i just heard about a christian guy who took his life 'cause he was lonely/ had no friends. i don't really know to what extent he was religious but his memorial was a couple of months ago
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by WesleyanA(f): 12:14am On Jul 17, 2007
the guy said the main reason he tried to commit suicide was because he was an orphan and had no relatives. the police couldn't even trace people to take his body and had to bury him (many people including the Virginia tech guy commit suicide for this exact reason -loneliness)
he cited memorizing the koran as a secondary reason. the reason he probably undertook this ordeal was 'cause he was lonely and had nowhere to turn to.
you don't see too many people trying to memorize religious books, whether bible or koran.

the other thread on this exact same topic: "muslims, are you ready to commit suicide?" was offensive to muslims.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by IDINRETE: 1:00am On Jul 17, 2007
WesleyanA:

you're stupid. the lonely orphan has no family, friends whatsoever. nobody was there with him throughout his life and you are surprised that he commited suicide. plus, memorizing the koran was cited as a secondary reason. did anyone asked him why he was trying to memorize the koran?

this topic is offensive to muslims IMO. asking them if they're ready to commit suicide just because a depressed guy did.

well i just heard about a christian guy who took his life 'cause he was lonely/ had no friends. i don't really know to what extent he was religious but his memorial was a couple of months ago

dont direct your vitriolic attack and your name calling to me better still you can direct your anger to the publisher of the news. Yes, im surprised that he committed suicide for the reason of his inability to memorise the koran that is why I asked the question if muslims are ready to commit suicide for inability to memorise the koran. do I owe you an apology methinks NOT!
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by WesleyanA(f): 1:45am On Jul 17, 2007
IDINRETE:

don't direct your vitriolic attack and your name calling to me better still you can direct your anger to the publisher of the news. Yes, im surprised that he committed suicide for the reason of his inability to memorise the koran that is why I asked the question if muslims are ready to commit suicide for inability to memorise the koran. do I owe you an apology methinks NOT!

that man doesn't represent the entire population of muslims in the globe. he represents himself and no one else.
there are thousands of muslims who don't know the koran from head to toe that will ever think of commiting suicide (but you wouldn't know that 'cause you have problems)
if a nigerian is 419 doesn't mean you'll go asking "nigerians, are you ready to dupe me"
it is with this same mentality that ignorant people have that lead them to believe that all nigerians are robbers or that all blacks are criminals or that all muslims are suicidal or whatever other prejudices people have against other people who are different from them.

the man said he commited suicide mainly because he was an orphan.
why aren't you asking "ORPHANS ARE YOU READY TO COMMIT SUICIDE?"
that comment will be offensive to orphans and it's the same logic with muslims.

i certainly am not asking you for an apology. hell no.
i'm christian not muslim. but your post really is offensive to many muslims (i have muslim friends and i grew up around christians as well as muslims)

Yes, im surprised that he committed suicide for the reason of his inability to memorise the koran that is why I asked the question

either you're lying or you need to go take a psychology class or both.
the guy who shot several students and himself at Virginia tech did it because he didn't like "rich people" apart from the fact that he was depressed and lonely.
and why aren't you admitting that the muslim guy killed himself mainly because he was an orphan and lonely.(imagine, no relatives to claim his body etc doesn't that ring any bell to your mind that the guy must have been depressed?)

do you actually go about wondering if muslims are ready to commit suicide? undecided strange people that walk the earth nowadays.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 2:10am On Jul 17, 2007
here come the Committee for Christian Defenders of Allah (CCDA)! grin
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 2:16am On Jul 17, 2007
WesleyanA:

the guy said the main reason he tried to commit suicide was because he was an orphan and had no relatives. the police couldn't even trace people to take his body and had to bury him (many people including the Virginia tech guy commit suicide for this exact reason -loneliness)
he cited memorizing the koran as a secondary reason. the reason he probably undertook this ordeal was 'cause he was lonely and had nowhere to turn to.
you don't see too many people trying to memorize religious books, whether bible or koran.

the other thread on this exact same topic: "muslims, are you ready to commit suicide?" was offensive to muslims.

You are yet to know your Koran.

Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 2:35am On Jul 17, 2007
lol Osisi leave WesleyanA alone, she's still a small child. Her posts left me chuckling to myself. Its good to be in denial.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by IDINRETE: 8:18am On Jul 17, 2007
i have stated the problem i have of his inability to memorise the quran. i dont know what problems you are talking about.
you  can continue to rant as you wish.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by stimulus(m): 9:32am On Jul 17, 2007
Sad loss. If only the young man knew that jihad was the easiest way to the highest station in Jannah (with 72 virgins, how could he ever be lonely ).
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by mazaje(m): 11:36am On Jul 17, 2007
The guys action should not be blamed on islam, if islam is to blame for the guys actions then christianity should also be blamed for reverend Kings(the pastor that roasted some members of his church) actions too.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by tboy1(m): 12:05pm On Jul 17, 2007
@ davidylan

Shut up.

We all know you have a problem with Islam . Here is a thread you started your damn self

I hate muslims even though i shouldn't      https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-61555.0.html

@ mazaje

I agree with you 100%
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by WesleyanA(f): 1:21pm On Jul 17, 2007
mazaje:

The guys action should not be blamed on islam, if islam is to blame for the guys actions then christianity should also be blamed for reverend Kings(the pastor that roasted some members of his church) actions too.

thank you!

tboy1:

@ davidylan

Shut up.

We all know you have a problem with Islam . Here is a thread you started your damn self

I hate muslims even though i shouldn't https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-61555.0.html

lmao cheesy

IDINRETE:

i have stated the problem i have of his inability to memorise the quran. i don't know what problems you are talking about.
you can continue to rant as you wish.

ok. i see your point then. tongue smiley
my point was: the guy was having problems when he did what he did. the article said he was a lonely orphan and had no relatives etc
no sane/normal Muslim will commit suicide because they can't memorize the books of the Koran.

no normal muslim will try to undertake that task in the first place unless they were in a strange situation/ problem (ex. Malcolm X trying to memorize the dictionary because he was in prison etc.)

i hope you see my point.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 17, 2007
tboy1:

@ davidylan

Shut up.

I hate muslims even though i shouldn't https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-61555.0.html

Saying shut up will be inappropriate to use in your own case. But apply some common sense whenever you feel the need for verbal ejaculation.

I did not START the thread neither did i give it the title. If you had bothered to read just 2 or 3 pages you should have seen where either i or pilgrim.1 reiterated that fact on more than 3 occassions!

If you have problems with your ability to comprehend and process complex information pls dont display it here or in response to any of my posts because you definitely will not like my rebuttal.
Re: Moslems Are You Ready To Commit Suicide? by fabulosboy(m): 9:51pm On Jul 17, 2007
moslems wont stop blowin up tins until they blow up d whole earth.
i hate them 4 dat
but there are still some good moslems

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Nine Great 'Proofs' For Evolution And Why They Are All False! / Speaking In Tongues / Winners Canaanland Is Not Just A Ministry But A Mystery,wonders Are Happening.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.