Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,148 members, 7,821,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Please Help. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Please Help. (438 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help. by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 12, 2021
My PC running Win10 pro zaps my data without consideration all in the name of AUTO Update. I have used up to 4gb just this evening and the update keep failing. Is there a way I can stop it permanently?
I have tried using :

Admin Tool--- Services.
Group Policy

All to no avail. Someone should come to my rescue.

Qtguru1.
karleb.

This screenshot is showing my data usage for today only.

Re: Please Help. by Karleb(m): 4:33am On Jul 13, 2021
If you go through the settings, there is a way to stop the auto update which I don't know.

Try to Google it or search YouTube.

1 Like

Re: Please Help. by lekjons(m): 5:24am On Jul 13, 2021
Search "Services" from the windows search bar, open it, it will show a list of running services/processes(listed alphabetically), scroll to "Windows Update", right-click on it, click "properties", you'll see an option to disable it there, disable it then click "apply" then "ok".

Alternatively, after connecting to WiFi, click on the WiFi icon, it will expand the WiFi tab and show the network you're currently connected to, click on the hotspot(Wi-Fi name) you're connected to, click "properties", scroll down a little, you'll see an option which says "set as metered network/connection", enable it.

*Note, you'll have to redo method 2 for any new WiFi hotspot you connect to as it only applies to a single WiFi connection

1 Share

Re: Please Help. by Nobody: 5:31am On Jul 13, 2021
lekjons:
Search "Services" from the windows search bar, open it, it will show a list of running services/processes(listed alphabetically), scroll to "Windows Update", right-click on it, click "properties", you'll see an option to disable it there, disable it then click "apply" then "ok".

Alternatively, after connecting to WiFi, click on the WiFi icon, it will expand the WiFi tab and show the network you're currently connected to, click on the hotspot(Wi-Fi name) you're connected to, click "properties", scroll down a little, you'll see an option which says "set as metered network/connection", enable it.

*Note, you'll have to redo method 2 for any new WiFi hotspot you connect to as it only applies to a single WiFi connection
Thank you boss. I've done this. When I click on Update, I get an error message. Seem like it worked. grin

God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help. by lekjons(m): 5:39am On Jul 13, 2021
SageX1444:
Thank you boss. I've done this. When I click on Update, I get an error message. Seem like it worked. grin

God bless you.
smiley

You can do both methods though, cos windows update is not the only thing that zaps data(though it's the highest by far) on Windows 10.

The second method will effectively neuter every other ones

1 Like

Re: Please Help. by Nobody: 6:33am On Jul 13, 2021
lekjons:
smiley

You can do both methods though, cos windows update is not the only thing that zaps data(though it's the highest by far) on Windows 10.

Okay. But I'm comfortable with the other zappers. This Update is excessive.
Re: Please Help. by grandlexuz(m): 10:09am On Jul 13, 2021
lekjons:
smiley

Thank you for your link to this thread. I did successfully disable windows automatic updates but still losing substantial data. For an XP lover who use to loss data to just browsing this is unacceptable to me..Lol

I'm actually using a USB stick for internet connection and doubt if it can be metered. Any idea..

(1) (Reply)

Increasing Cybersecurity Threats In 2021 / I Really Need A Laptop, Somebody Please Hear Me Out. / Abuja Computer Sales Promo! Hp , Dell ,lenovo And Asus Laptops Sales Promo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.