Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,831 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! (1337 Views)

Full Engine Power No Longer Available Bmw X6 / Symptoms Of A Bad Power Steering Pump / Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by Grupo(m): 8:58am On Aug 15, 2021
Hello bosses,

I drive a 2007 Toyota corolla. And while the steering is not that hard, it's not very very soft. Especially when standing at a spot.

Recently, I drove my friend's 2005 Sienna and the steering was so soft that one could turn it by simply blowing breeze at it (hyperbole).

I have also driven another friend's 2009 camry. While the steering is softer than my own, it is nothing compared to the sienna.

Now I want to know, does engine power (4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, etc.) affect the softness of the power steering?

Or could it be that my power steering is not that good?

Note: my power steering doesn't leak, doesn't whine, and turns well but not just as soft as that of my friend's Sienna.

I don't have much experience with cars.

So I am calling on all the bosses (gazzuzz, radautoworks, kingreign, dipotivo, nurey, etc.) to help out.

Please, you people and all the other bosses shouldn't ignore.

Thanks all.
Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by kingreign(m): 9:05am On Aug 15, 2021
Grupo:
Hello bosses,

I drive a 2007 Toyota corolla. And while the steering is not that hard, it's not very very soft. Especially when standing at a spot.

Recently, I drove my friend's 2005 Sienna and the steering was so soft that one could turn it by simply blowing breeze at it (hyperbole).

I have also driven another friend's 2009 camry. While the steering is softer than my own, it is nothing compared to the sienna.

Now I want to know, does engine power (4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, etc.) affect the softness of the power steering?

Note: my power steering doesn't leak, doesn't whine, and turns well but not just as soft as that of my friend's Sienna.

So I am calling on all the bosses (gazzuzz, radautoworks, kingreign, dipotivo, nurey, etc.) to help out.

Thanks all.

A lot of factor accounts for the stiffness or ease of steering movement.
1. Health of the pump,
2. State and health and type of PS fluid,
3. Health of the rack and pinion, pressure pipes etc, is it leaking, are the seals good or bad, etc.
4. Is speed sensitive or not? A sienna steering being a big and heavy vehicle has speed sensitive steering. On idle or low speeds its free, but on motion, It firms up.
5. Tyre size, weight and width (bigger, taller, wider heavier tyres will exact more force to the ground and this will cause the steering to be firmer,
6. Suspension setup and mass of vehicle may also account for the factor above,

3 Likes

Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by Grupo(m): 9:14am On Aug 15, 2021
kingreign:

A lot of factor accounts for the stiffness or ease of steering movement.
1. Health of the pump,
2. State and health and type of PS fluid,
3. Health of the rack and pinion, pressure pipes etc, is it leaking, are the seals good or bad, etc.
4. Is speed sensitive or not? A sienna steering being a big and heavy vehicle has speed sensitive steering. On idle or low speeds its free, but on motion, It firms up.
5. Tyre size, weight and width (bigger, taller, wider heavier tyres will exact more force to the ground and this will cause the steering to be firmer,
6. Suspension setup and mass of vehicle may also account for the factor above,

Interesting. Thanks.

My pump and rack don't leak oil. Maybe I'll start by changing the oil to see what happens.

What's the right steering fluid for 2007 Toyota corolla?
Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by kingreign(m): 9:25am On Aug 15, 2021
Grupo:

Interesting. Thanks.

My pump and rack don't leak oil. Maybe I'll start by changing the oil to see what happens.

What's the right steering fluid for 2007 Toyota corolla?

Dextron 2 or 3

Check your suspension and tyres too.
Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by Grupo(m): 9:45am On Aug 15, 2021
kingreign:

Dextron 2 or 3

Okay. Thanks.
Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by okoroemeka(m): 12:02pm On Aug 15, 2021
kingreign:

Dextron 2 or 3

the pump is weak,this happened to me, Honda babyboy,the steering don't leak but it is not free like it should be,so I changed the steering pump it came back as soft you can turn the steering with one finger

1 Like

Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by Grupo(m): 12:12pm On Aug 15, 2021
okoroemeka:
the pump is weak,this happened to me, Honda babyboy,the steering don't leak but it is not free like it should be,so I changed the steering pump it came back as soft you can turn the steering with one finger

Hmm. Interesting.
Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by izaac23(m): 3:56pm On Aug 19, 2021
Pls all these commentators shud not confuse this guy

My brother, I own a Corolla too, there is nothing wrong with ur steering atall, my vehicle is also like that so is all other Corolla of that generation (don't know of other generations) even if u buy a new one from the company, that is how the steering feels

Reason for this is because the vehicle is very light on motion, if the steering is firm, it adds to balancing the car on speed so it doesn't jerk easily.

Relax, but if u are not satisfied, try driving other Corolla of similar generation, there u will confirm wat I just said.

2 Likes

Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by Dozieson(m): 5:55pm On Aug 19, 2021
izaac23:
Pls all these commentators shud not confuse this guy

My brother, I own a Corolla too, there is nothing wrong with ur steering atall, my vehicle is also like that so is all other Corolla of that generation (don't know of other generations) even if u buy a new one from the company, that is how the steering feels

Reason for this is because the vehicle is very light on motion, if the steering is firm, it adds to balancing the car on speed so it doesn't jerk easily.

Relax, but if u are not satisfied, try driving other Corolla of similar generation, there u will confirm wat I just said.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm how true is this?
Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by Blacklaurel: 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2021
Grupo:
Hello bosses,

Thanks all.
There nothing wrong with your corolla bro. I own an 07 corolla and 08 camry and can confirm that the camry's steering is way softer with shorter turning radius. It's just a case of getting what you paid for, as your money reach na so your go enjoy reach.
Re: Does Engine Power Affect Softness Of Power Steering? Help! by Grupo(m): 11:45pm On Aug 19, 2021
Blacklaurel:

There nothing wrong with your corolla bro. I own an 07 corolla and 08 camry and can confirm that the camry's steering is way softer with shorter turning radius. It's just a case of getting what you paid for, as your money reach na so your go enjoy reach.

Okay. Thank you for the confirmation.

(1) (Reply)

On The 2001 Honda Passport / Do Passat 2006/2007 2.0T Or 3.6lV6 Have Available Common Parts With Other Volks / Decotech In Aba. Declearing Free Autoscan AGAIN.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.