Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,656 members, 7,827,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Why Does My Speedometer Reading Differs From GPS - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does My Speedometer Reading Differs From GPS (1643 Views)

Help, Speedometer Not Reading (honda Pilot) / Pls Help. Corolla 2012 Temperature Gauge, Rpm And Speedometer Is Not Working / 4 Signs Of A Faulty Speedometer Sensor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does My Speedometer Reading Differs From GPS by Fedrams: 3:58am On Sep 27, 2021
Good day my ppl, I decided to monitor the distance covered between Benin to Akure. My car speedometer was reading 177 km why my GPS was reading 254km. Why constitute the difference. Pls no that the car is calibrated in km. And I reset my trip to zero before I embark on the journey
Re: Why Does My Speedometer Reading Differs From GPS by aieromon(m): 5:30am On Sep 27, 2021
Fedrams:
Good day my ppl, I decided to monitor the distance covered between Benin to Akure. My car speedometer was reading 177 km why my GPS was reading 254km. Why constitute the difference. Pls no that the car is calibrated in km. And I reset my trip to zero before I embark on the journey

Odometer and GPS readings can never be the same. Odometer readings are affected by variations in the tire size, pressure and/or wear and tear since they measure tire rotations. GPS on the other hand can go out of sync if they do not receive constant coordinates from the satellite to calculate the actual distance between point A and B. They also tend to increase the mileage readings as they can use data points in close proximity which do not present a true reflection of your travel route.

Looking at your data, I believe the GPS needs to be calibrated because the car odometer reading is closer to the actual distance between Benin and Akure. What type of GPS receiver did you use?

5 Likes

Re: Why Does My Speedometer Reading Differs From GPS by Aanumi16: 6:45am On Sep 27, 2021
Fedrams:

Your car odometer is calibrated in Miles while the GPS is Km.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does My Speedometer Reading Differs From GPS by Fedrams: 7:42am On Sep 27, 2021
Gps car tracking

quote author=aieromon post=106206454]

Odometer and GPS readings can never be the same. Odometer readings are affected by variations in the car tires size, pressure and/or wear and tear since they measure tire rotations. GPS on the other hand can go out of sync if they do not receive constant coordinates from the satellite to calculate the actual distance between point A and B. They also tend to increase the mileage readings as they can use data points closest to you but not a true reflection of your travel route.

Looking at your data, I believe the GPS needs to be calibrated because the car odometer reading is closer to the actual distance between Benin and Akure. What type of GPS receiver did you use?[/quote]
Re: Why Does My Speedometer Reading Differs From GPS by aieromon(m): 8:38am On Sep 27, 2021
Fedrams:
Gps car tracking

Generally, GPS trackers overestimate distance covered but this one has poor accuracy. Your odometer reading is closer to the actual distance covered.

You can compare with your phone GPS.

(1) (Reply)

I Used Total Oil To Service My Toyota Sienna..is It Good / Peugeot 406 Vs Toyota Camry / The Nigeria Motorist And Their Attitude Towards The Zebra Crossing Signs..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.