Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,434 members, 7,830,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

That Missing Piece - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / That Missing Piece (294 Views)

Start Uber/Bolt As A Side Hustle Or Get A Piece Of Land : Your Opinion Please / 4 Clear Cut Reasons Why You Keep Missing Out On Opportunities / 2 Airport Security Guards Get N500k For Returning Missing Bag Filled With Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

That Missing Piece by rien05(f): 7:04pm On Oct 07, 2021
That Missing Piece

Each time I felt incomplete, I began to question my purpose, my happiness as compared to others, and why I was feeling so much pressure to succeed. Some of the questions I constantly asked myself were "why can't I do my masters, why can't I work in Chevron or ExxonMobil". I started to think that there was a generational course affecting me and it was holding me back from the goodness of life.

I found it hard finishing what I started, always quitting halfway due to situations beyond my control. I hadn't learnt how to motivate myself and so I ended up wallowing in self-pity most of the time. Even my relationship with the one I was with didn't help either. A relationship I prayed to God to help me end. This relationship isolated me and, took friends away from me. I felt my world was crashing and I couldn't do anything about it. I was scared to dream big. Giving up easily gave me a kind of peace.

I had a vision to do my masters but it could not be anything related to Geology (my first degree). I just wanted to upskill by all means. I thought a post graduate degree would pave the way for me to get a multinational job, as I had missed one due to this reason. Well, missing this one opportunity was not due to not having a certificate but primarily due to the lack of business management skills. I wanted to do my masters abroad but didn't have the resources. So sadly, I watched my university classmates get scholarships to study abroad each year. I started questioning my luck.

I had applied for a Chevening Scholarship three times and once for a Commonwealth scholarship. At that time, I had gotten about four admissions into universities in the UK but couldn't take them up due to a lack of funds. As the years passed by, the quest and thought of doing my masters abroad became far-fetched. I decided to let go of that thought and let nature take its course. Well, I couldn't let nature take its course for long. The desire for a higher degree kept burning inside me.

So, I decided to focus my attention on Nigerian universities, University of Lagos to be precise. And then again, I was faced with another dilemma. I had a full time job and my work environment wasn't so friendly. I thought to myself, that it would be very challenging if I left work to concentrate on a full-time masters, and it would also be too stressful if I opted for part-time studies. I didn't want to start a full-time masters and be a burden to my family, even though I had saved up to cover school fees. My issue then was how I would cope with every other living expenses. So, I let the dream linger, waiting for the day when the stars would align.

Things took a new turn when I got a new job and a colleague told me about a new American university that was 100% online with flexible monthly tuition payments. I was so glad to finally hear about an international university I could afford, and things got even better. My sister offered to pay all my tuition fees. This was a huge breakthrough for me, as I was going to be the first person to have an MBA degree in my family.

So, I went online and searched for Nexford. I completed the application online and was later contacted by an Admissions Officer who carefully explained the admission requirements. For me, it was very fulfilling moment knowing that I had everything required, including my transcript. All that they needed was for me to send my transcript directly to them. That was how I successfully went through the application process and finally got admitted into Nexford University. The orientation program was easy and straight to the point, and I was able to complete it before the commencement of my MBA program.

My academic journey so far, has been awesome. I have learnt a lot that I've put into practice. Most importantly, I feel this joy within that made me feel like I had just been given a ticket to a successful future. Indeed, when there is life, there is hope. This Nexford program has helped me build confidence in myself, even in the things I thought I wasn't good at. I just feel there is something bigger coming my way. Sometimes, the key to one door unlocks others as well. There is so much joy when the things we planned and hoped for all fall into place.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Missing Piece by slickycee: 7:58am On Oct 08, 2021
Congratulations �����

You chased your dreams and got em.
Very Inspiring piece..

I hope you get everything you deserve !
Re: That Missing Piece by rien05(f): 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2021
slickycee:
Congratulations �����

You chased your dreams and got em.
Very Inspiring piece..

I hope you get everything you deserve !

Thank you so much. I love your last statement.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Missing Journalist Daughter, Avaana Salem Begs For Father’s Release / Meet Peniel, The First Female Barber In Abuja / How To Divert All The Money That Would Be Spent In December To Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.