Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,709 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Replacing My Internal Hard Disk - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Replacing My Internal Hard Disk (861 Views)

Question: Is Replacing A Burnt Motherboard IC Possible? / Cost Of Replacing Toshiba Laptop Speakers / How To Replace Internal Hard Disk With Extenal Usb Hard Disk In Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Replacing My Internal Hard Disk by Seabreez15(f): 10:15am On Jul 25, 2007
Hey!

Could anyone let me know if its possible to buy a new internal hard disk of any brand for my PC? Or are these not always compatible?

Thanks for any info!
Re: Replacing My Internal Hard Disk by Maleeq(m): 6:20am On Jul 26, 2007
They are all of a standard (2.5" drives). You can get any, it should work just fine for you.

Some hard disks that come with certain systems have been locked to those brand, so that it does not work when plugged into other brands of systems.

You have no cause to fear, since drives sold separately(commercial) always work any PC.
Re: Replacing My Internal Hard Disk by Seabreez15(f): 12:45pm On Jul 26, 2007
great! thanks!

Thought they were 3.5" ?
Re: Replacing My Internal Hard Disk by Maleeq(m): 2:12pm On Jul 26, 2007
Most people refer to hard disks on a laptop as internal. For desktop, its simple referred to as Hard disk. So, I naturally assumed you want to replace a drive on a laptop.

There are 3.5" HDD (kind you'll find in regular desktop PCs)
and
2.5" HDD (kind you get in a laptop)
Re: Replacing My Internal Hard Disk by Seabreez15(f): 3:26pm On Jul 26, 2007
Thanks Maleeq!

I did mean the one on my desktop PC, so yeah, 3.5".

I was just checking out a few, would you happen to know the difference between SAS, SATA, IDE, SCSI ?

Thank you!
Re: Replacing My Internal Hard Disk by Maleeq(m): 10:34am On Jul 27, 2007
Those are different disk technologies/standards, all with their respective advantages and disadvantages.

I cant really state their differences here but I do know that they differ in terms of addressable space, physical disk size, access speeds(read/write), fault tolerance and some other stuffs.

I'd help you source for the basic description of all them.

Really, the only thing you need to consider is the type of controller available on your motherboard. You wont be making any sense when you get a SCSI disk when you have an IDE/EIDE controller on your board! You could get these controllers if you want, but remember, the better the technology, the higher the cost.

Most desktop PC come with IDE and/or SATA these days. If you have the documentation of the board or model no, I could help you check out which disks you can freely get.

(1) (Reply)

Help! My Laptop Drags! / How To Connect Black Berry With Laptop / Do You Know That Virus Can Hide Your Files And Turn Them To Shortcuts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.