Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

SA's President Ramaphosa Crowned a 'Chief' in Ivory Coast (PIX/VID) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / SA's President Ramaphosa Crowned a 'Chief' in Ivory Coast (PIX/VID) (422 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture / Fans faint at Wizkid concert in Ivory Coast (video) / Mercy Aigbe Fires Back After Tagged A Chief Pillar Bender (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA's President Ramaphosa Crowned a 'Chief' in Ivory Coast (PIX/VID) by TMKsouth: 10:03am On Dec 03, 2021
President Cyril Ramaphosa is officially a citizen of Cote d'Ivoire's district of Abidjan.

South Africa’s first citizen was on Thursday granted the key to the city and allotted the chieftaincy of the city’s most revered tribe during a spirited ceremony.

The key to the city is an honour bestowed upon esteemed residents and visitors.

Although it was President Ramaphosa’s first visit to Abidjan, his presence was so loaded with possibilities that the city’s citizens agreed to bestow a new name and titles unto him.

Although the practice may appear arbitrary to some, its symbolism cannot be denied.

It took a grand ceremony, with a brass band, people from all walks of life and the traditional leaders of the country’s tribes to deliver the honour that the first South African state visit to the Ivory Coast truly marks.

Abidjan residents greet Ramaphosa with Jerusalema playing in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAmQ3en23cw

Ramaphosa said that this was significant in the building of relations between the two countries.

"This ceremony giving me this robe is wonderful. I never thought in my life that I would wear a crown but I never thought that I would also wear a necklace with an elephant. An elephant is a totem of my family, so thank you for giving me a totem of my family. Now this in many ways also proves our common ancestry. I feel very connected to the people of Cote d'Ivoire because we know that we as Africans who are in the south originated in this part of Africa. We are one of you," Ramaphosa said.

On Thursday, Ramaphosa went as far as to say that this was among the greatest honours he had ever received.

https://ewn.co.za/2021/12/03/ramaphosa-honoured-with-abidjan-citizenship-during-state-visit-to-ivory-coast
Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Crowned a 'Chief' in Ivory Coast (PIX/VID) by TMKsouth: 10:31am On Dec 03, 2021

Re: SA's President Ramaphosa Crowned a 'Chief' in Ivory Coast (PIX/VID) by TMKsouth: 6:27pm On Dec 03, 2021

(1) (Reply)

Election: Watch Gov Sanwo-olu Joins Whitemoney To Cook At Lagos Food Fest / 18-year-old Bus Conductor Wins Chess Tournament In Oshodi / Multi-million Naira Mansions Owned By 3 Self Made Nollywood Female Actresses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.